The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Driver seat position in cockpit view
Quote from Scawen :Here is a screenshot

It still stays an unrealistic view. I never driven a car where I could not see at least a bit of the nose/front of the car. Well, Golfs in this case, XFG looks a bit like a Golf. Before people start quoting me with Smart/Aygo pictures. I know seats in race cars are mounted directly on the floor but even then its possible to see the front of the car (My body height is 2m/6.5 feet but even when shorter I think real life perspective is different).

Thats the problem I have with LFS, when I configure in car view I always get the feeling I watch an aquarium with fish in it. Only with LX4/6 its possible (+OW cars) to configure the Y/Z and pitch in such a way you can see the nose/wheels a bit. But even configured like that it still looks/drives strange.

I'm skeptical that LFS in 3D mode will change this in-car experience completely.
As a tall person, the default view is a bit low for what I'm used to, but even then I can't really see the front of the car. What I can do is judge the distance tothe end of the bonnet due to depth perception.

I've also played with 6 DOF head tracking in LFS, and that also helps greatly in being able to judge the distance. I can only imagine a stereoscopic headset with tracking would be even better, though the rift is only 3 DOF
I'm 190cm, and the view in lfs doesn't feel much different than a real car. Maybe a bit lower, but not by much. Can't see a problem here.
Quote from KiRmelius :I'm 190cm, and the view in lfs doesn't feel much different than a real car. Maybe a bit lower, but not by much. Can't see a problem here.

Not much depth.. It suddenly stops instantly after the windscreen...

Random video (Nürburgring);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-_bEXySYY

You see nozzles on the hood for example. If you try Rfactor2 you already see some difference.
Quote from cargame.nl :It still stays an unrealistic view.

unrealistic view... are you serious? There is a slider in LFS where you can move the seating position if you want to sit like a trucker

You can't say it's unrealistic, or wrong. Most cars have height adjustable seats and why do you think the LFS driver represents some guy who is over 2metres tall? as far as I know it represents about 180cm tall guy.

Quote from cargame.nl :Not much depth.. It suddenly stops instantly after the windscreen...

Random video (Nürburgring);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-_bEXySYY

You see nozzles on the hood for example. If you try Rfactor2 you already see some difference.

If you are behind the steering wheel, you can't see the hood (also depending on how high you sit, but anything comfortable and you won't see it). BMWs tends to have the gauge area high to cover all low areas. I don't know if you are serious with this shit or you are just one idiot..

It's entirely up to the car and how high you sit. Get some touch to real life again
Since you probably don't understand a word I'm saying, an idiot that you are...

I have to put it in pictures

Oh, and the golf you was saying?

Your driving position irl looks something like this probably
http://i.imgur.com/TicGr1x.jpg
Custom view
http://i.imgur.com/1pYAGC4.jpg
And I don't think oculus rift supports that large fov ? Since you aren't actually in the game, of course it looks stupid. LFS could extend the backward/forward slider a little thought.
Quote from Torolol :Since you probably don't understand a word I'm saying, an idiot that you are...

Why do you think that?

Nice examples but I already gave a real world example with a helmet cam.

Quote from Torolol : I don't know if you are serious with this shit or you are just one idiot..

It's entirely up to the car and how high you sit. Get some touch to real life again

Yes I am serious and that is correct. It indeed depends on the car and the seat height. 15 years and an average of 75.000 km a year, I think I have enough touch with real life.

But I was not under the impression that I was taken seriously, don't worry.

--
Concerning the screenshots, no that is not how I drive with LFS. I need to use arcade mode otherwise like I said, it feels like a moving aquarium. You see no nose dive in a corner but a windscreen. I still not agree thats a realistic perspective. Next time I'm in the neighborhood of a team mate I make a helmet view of his seat position in the drag Golf OK? Thanks for the attention.
Can you link this video please? If it's the e60 on nurburgring, the camera is higher than eye level, and also there are no gauges on passenger side(no shit on that), so the bonnet view is not blocked by it.

I can high up the seat so I see the bonnet, but that's not the case here... Just because someone likes to sit lower it doesn't mean it's unrealistic. You used wrong word for it.

rFactor has the camera closer to windscreen and often the steering wheel blocks the view to gauges which proves that.. In cases where the camera is in good position but the hood still shows, it is because of the car.
For one good examples irl for such cases is s13, you can see the hood well there because it's long and doesn't drop down so much, and the gauges are kind of low positioned too.

As long as the wide field of view can't be used, you can't get realistic view. You need like 140degrees to cover the real view.. But the fact that hood doesn't show is not unrealistic..

I hope you start to realize this, and sorry for calling you idiot and such.
Hmmm yes... For some reason I couldn't get it to work yesterday? Got maxed out sliders... Weird..

This is more what I think is realistic, XFG wiper is too big though I think and the mirror feels wrong but other then that... Maybe need to give this a try.

--
Quote from Torolol :Can you link this video please? ...

I hope you start to realize this, and sorry for calling you idiot and such.

Link? I put a Youtube link? // No problem, I was expecting that somebody started to do that. Happens when I make controversial points, its OK
Attached images
Image4.jpg
Yeah, the custom view lets you move further (out of the car even) than the standard cockpit view, which is limited to just +-0.05 adjustment of Z.
Quote from cargame.nl :This is more what I think is realistic, XFG wiper is too big though I think and the mirror feels wrong but other then that... Maybe need to give this a try.

You can change the position of the mirror in the view settings too. That way you can move it a higher, closer to the roof.
Nope, you can only move the mirror lower
Oh, sorry then.

By the way, I have moved the discussion about the driver seat position to a separate thread.
Quote from cargame.nl :This is more what I think is realistic, XFG wiper is too big though I think and the mirror feels wrong but other then that... Maybe need to give this a try.

Are you like 2,5m tall? :o That view looks to be crazy high.

Anyway, LFS doesn't really fake anything here. The inside car model is the same as the outside model. The view is what you get is what you get. The only way to make the bonnet more visible to the inside would mean the actual bonnet line on the model would need to be raised.
Also the mirror is in the correct position if you do actual measurements from a real car. The limitations on it's position are actually there because it would otherwise go through the windshield.

A lot of the perceived wrongness in the positions and visibility are there because in real life you can move your head to look around and your eyes kind of "zoom" in to the road ahead. It's like when you drive a sports car with a very low seat, first you think you can't see anything out of it, but after you get used to the view you can see fine. In games the view is static.

Also you actually don't often see the bonnet in real life either (unless you are crazy tall I guess), especially in newer cars. Maybe you drive an older car and it has less sloping bonnet or the bonnet is higher over the windshield edge.
You can see the wings of some cars whilst driving - Dinos and Ferraris and things like that.

But on any normal car... nope. Even if you stretch, you can't see the bonnet.
I for one, at 6'6", can definitely see the bonnet on any normal car. Possibly not on a modern car with a steep angle.

Moving your view like this in any OW, RAC or LX feels totally wrong though
Quote from cargame.nl :
Link? I put a Youtube link? // No problem, I was expecting that somebody started to do that. Happens when I make controversial points, its OK

Man, read the replys fully before making conclusions. You are ignorant just trying to prove yourself right when you deep down know you are wrong.

You must have painful time driving a car when you can't even fit a car without tilting your head.
The view looks fine to me. I can't remember driving a single car where I could see (a lot of) the hood. I'm around 1.90m and don't really sit low either.

Modern cars (like the Golf) have very short noses which are also sloped a lot which makes it pretty much impossible for you to really see the hood.

Unless you're 3m tall and or have your seat against the roof.

edit: The mirrors on the other hand, are complete garbage. But that's another story I guess.
Quote from Bose321 :
Modern cars (like the Golf) have very short noses which are also sloped a lot which makes it pretty much impossible for you to really see the hood.

Actually you can see the hood a little when you sit a little higher... but if you want to see it like cargame put it on his screenshot, you would be sitting very high and face almost planted to windscreen..
Reminds me of how majority of women drive.

We are talking about mk3 right? which reminds mostly of xfg
I basically sit in the back seat when I drive (seat all the way back and basically horizontal ) so don't usually see the front of the car. But yeah the LFS view doesn't seem weird to me
Imho LFS's driver seat position is absolutely spot on as you can see in this comparison I made a while ago. What more do you expect?

Not many people do understand what I'm on about, saw some good replies (thanks PeterN) I let this topic/matter to rest for a bit until I can make my point a bit more clear. If that is ever going to be of any use. The future of LFS looks grim so this whole discussion probably is pointless.

The whole 'moving aquarium' feeling is being fueled not only by camera height but other techniques which other sims (like Rfactor2) do have and LFS not.

Maybe for fun I activate FCV mode on the servers, just to see how many complains that generates.
Quote from tbofram :I basically sit in the back seat when I drive (seat all the way back and basically horizontal ) so don't usually see the front of the car. But yeah the LFS view doesn't seem weird to me

what are the benefits of this
Lower weight,better cornering,that way hee shaves off 2 seconds of time on way to work!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG