The online racing simulator
Build help
(14 posts, started )
Build help
sup guys, this i am planning on building my first pc.

i have two choices ready. wich one is the best bang for the buck? of what i have read in the /r/buildapc sub-reddit. the amd option has lots of potential for not a lot of money but at a cost of some pike performance compared to an i5-4670k.

here are the parts lists:

AMD

or

Intel

i'll be using it mostly for gaming (bf4, dayz, etc..) and some 3d moddeling for when it is necessary for school
I wouldn't even consider an AMD CPU, unless you're planning to use the integrated GPU.

The Intel is faster and uses less power, so I would be glad to pay a little more for that. I also think you have a nicer set of motherboards to choice from.
The intel option is better performance, but the AMD is better bang for buck(as mentioned in the first post).
I recently got myself a fx-6300, haven't tried it yet, will do so this/next week, I can give you my opinion about it if you want(once i've tried it though).
But Intel vs AMD doesen't stop at the cpu, the thing is that, if you want a proper mobo, you will probably get off cheaper with AMD platform as well, feature wise, a cheap am3+ board has 6 sata 6gbit/s ports(I mean 970 chipset), but most intel cheap ones have 2 of them, also the AMD ones usually have usb 3.0.

But that's my opinion on stuff, and once i've used and tested the cpu, I will give you my opinion on that too.

Lol, noticed I got the same mobo as you chose on the AMD rig.
#5 - robt
I reckon AMD would be (just about) best bang for buck. that an the more stable platform (AM3 for how long??).
My only worry with your build is, have you calculated the Power usage? 430W seems very low. Would think that build would need 500-600?
Go Intel. Bulldozer/Vishera AMD chips are slow, horribly inefficient, power wasting, massive electric bill disasters.

The 8-core FX are alright if you run HEAVILY multicore dependant workloads 24/7 and don't have to pay for electricity yourself, for average gamer/home PC users they're rubbish.
The AMD chips would be great however if you have free electricity but have to pay for heating.
Quote from robt :I reckon AMD would be (just about) best bang for buck. that an the more stable platform (AM3 for how long??).
My only worry with your build is, have you calculated the Power usage? 430W seems very low. Would think that build would need 500-600?

You would need more around 700-800 with an AMD CPU.
You aren't that funny bose, 84W vs 95W tdp isn't that much of a difference.
#10 - robt
psu calculator reccomends 438w if your at full load on a brand new unit, one your supply is a year or two old it suggests 490w, so 500W+ minimum
I think 430 would be fine.

According to those websites I should need 650-ish for my rig, while I'm running 520W for years now...
Just so we're clear, estimations of required PSU power based only on the overall wattage are totally useless. You need to know the current requirements on each rail. Your PSU specs show that it can do 20 A on 3.3 V, 20 A on 5 V and 28 A on 12 V rail. The Intel build nears the limit on the 12 V rail so if you're planning on getting a more powerful GPU or some extra hard drives, you might want to choose a more powerful version.

This is what I've got from PSU Calc with 20 % cap aging, 95% TDP and 95% utilization
3.3 V - 5.3 A
5 V - 9.7 A
12 V - 28.0 A
The AMD build needs an extra amp on the 12 V rail.
Clearly the AMD knockers can't see past Intels advertising. While AMD gets thrashed in intel specific 'speed tests', when it comes to real world use their often a better choice.
How often do you really need an i7's grunt ? Other than in the ' mines bigger than yours is ' boasting circles.

AMD kick Intels ass with on board graphics, something strangely enough the vast majority of real world users notice.

And as most users want web browsing, email, and light gaming AMD is not only better but also cheaper.

And if anyone has tried Intels on board graphics you'll know just what a joke they are for even light gaming use.
AMD integrated graphics performance is certainly better than Intel, but since OP is buying a discrete GPU for his rig, it's also irrelevant. The biggest issue with new AMD processors is the catastrophic electricity usage in relation to poor performance. They idle around 20 watts higher than Intels, and go almost 100 watts higher at load while being much slower, that is insane.

Just read this. http://www.anandtech.com/show/ ... -fx6300-and-fx4300-tested

Build help
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG