The online racing simulator
F1 quiz time!
(33 posts, started )
#1 - RLeb
F1 quiz time!
So, being a big fan of F1 history, I will pick at your brains and see who can find these nuggets of information!

I'll give you guys 24 hours to answer

Question #1:

What is the EARLIEST Championship Grand Prix race that still has a LIVING entrant? Name the driver, and the race in question.
Robert La Caze in the 1958 Moroccan Grand Prix???

I won't claim to have known that without searching though.
Robert Manzon - 1950 Monaco Grand Prix
#4 - RLeb
Ding ding ding! JackDaMaster is right.

Robert Manzon it is. He is the last surviving driver from the first F1 championship in 1950 (which must be a bizarre feeling).
#5 - RLeb
Since that was so quick, here is the next question... and this is a tricky one.

Question #2:

What was the last non-F1-spec car to enter and attempt to qualify in an F1 race? Name the car, and the Grand Prix it happened.
Damn, I looked at both and chose the oldest, not the earliest Grand Prix entered. Ooops.
#7 - amp88
Quote from RLeb :What was the last non-F1-spec car to enter and attempt to qualify in an F1 race? Name the car, and the Grand Prix it happened.

I'm guessing you mean a car entered under a different set of regulations (such as F2), rather than a car that was built to F1 regulations but was actually illegal (such as having brake ducts which were too large or some other technical infringement)?

If so, I'm gonna take a shot with the 1969 German GP, with a number of F2 entrants. Since there are so many of them I won't list them all (this also makes me suspect I'm way off, since your question seems to suggest there would only have been one car). Might be off by some way, but let's get the ball rolling...
#8 - RLeb
Indeed you are a fair distance away from the answer. This instance featured only one car which was originally built to race in another series.
#9 - CSF
Are you including things like RoC at Brands which, I think, was technically an F1 spec event, but included F2 cars?
#10 - RLeb
Only official Championship rounds. Too many weird and wild cars in those non-championship races to even keep track, I am sure haha
#11 - CSF
Was going to say 1960 Italian Grand Prix until I noticed you said 1 car.
Was it the Spirit 201? Originally an F2 car but was modified to F1 spec for 1983. Although this car did qualify for a few races...
#13 - RLeb
getting closer, but not quite!
It was Lewis Hamilton in the Red bull x2011 in 1969
It was the Dallara 3087 in 1988 which was based on a formula 3000 car, qualified 18 seconds slower then the pole time in pre-qualifying in Brazil.
#16 - RLeb
Quote from Mustafur :It was the Dallara 3087 in 1988 which was based on a formula 3000 car, qualified 18 seconds slower then the pole time in pre-qualifying in Brazil.

You got it! As recent as 1988, those types of things happened. The answer was Dallara at Brazil 1988.

You could almost argue the LIFE car of 1990 was an example, but it was an F1 car that just happened to be slower than an F3 car due to general incompetence haha
-
(RLeb) DELETED by RLeb
90s F1 backmarkers highlighted how bad a team can be if they tried their hardest to be slow, most got to the point where they could of just got a Formula 3000 car and put an f1 spec engine and they would of been seconds quicker.
#18 - RLeb
Leaderboard
(1) JackDaMaster
(1) Mustafur

Question #3:

Which driver had the longest gap of time between grand prix starts? Name the driver, and approximate time gap (years/months).
#19 - CSF
Jan Lammers, 10 years - 82-92
Jan Lammers is definetely the answer, this answer was very easy to find compared to the last one.

Usually when it comes to these quizes it tests everyones google ability rather then knowledge about f1 though.
#21 - RLeb
Yeah, I know. It still does pass the time tho to try and find the information.

CSF got it.

Leaderboard
(1) JackDaMaster
(1) Mustafur
(1) CSF

Question #4:

Who was the earliest-born driver (meaning, oldest date of birth) to compete in Formula 1?
Philippe Étancelin (born in 1896)?
#23 - RLeb
Quote from Jussi-Pekka :Philippe Étancelin (born in 1896)?

Yes

That means that, in roughly 5 years, we could have a complete century of drivers. Eventually drivers born in 1996 will be in F1.
#24 - RLeb
Finding questions that are not easily google-able is difficult.

Leaderboard
(1) JackDaMaster
(1) Mustafur
(1) CSF
(1) Jussi-Pekka

Question #5:

Which two F1 team bosses were younger than any of their own drivers that year?
Quote from RLeb :Question #5:

Two F1 team bosses were younger than any of their drivers that year. Who are they?

Does "team boss" strictly mean Team Principal or could it include a position such as CEO/Chief Executive? Also, does "any of their drivers" mean any of the race (drivers who attempted to qualify the car) or does it include test/substitute drivers too?

F1 quiz time!
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG