The online racing simulator
Formula E
(122 posts, started )
Formula E

dont know if anyone discussed this already but here it is
coming 2014 :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vs0vV2z8c

sounds like a toy car , but most sound is because of gear box isnt it ?

anyway , 270bhp , 0-100 in 3s and max 225kph and weight will be 800kg with driver.

the only thing i dont understand is why does it look like indy car?

Quote from shimon-ifraimov :
the only thing i dont understand is why does it look like indy car?

Because they want the car to have the least drag possible due to the lack of horsepower, hence the wheel flick ups and stuff
Series seems like a good idea, but honestly changing cars is silly. Just do 2 separate races and allow for a new car for each race.
:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea
That sound! XD
Pit stops should be exiting...

Quote :Pit stop will involve a change of car: when the battery runs out, the driver will make a pit stop, then will run 100 metres to climb into a recharged car

wait, are there going to be some sort of series for this thing?
Quote from Bmxtwins :Series seems like a good idea, but honestly changing cars is silly. Just do 2 separate races and allow for a new car for each race.

If they want to promote electric cars it also seems stupid marketing wise. At every car swap spectators will be reminded how the batteries do not last long enough etc.
Also teams will need twice as many cars=higher costs.

There already exists series with electric cars..not open wheel though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5UDjsfvghE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTU6VVaves
Behold the future: where you need to own 3 cars in order to go for an afternoon drive
The quicker we as a human population get our heads out our arses and get of this pathetic 'green' pc bandwagon the better. Are our heads really that full of mush?

Personally I would use nuclear fuel for cars and most everything else. pig sick of seeing those ridiculous wind farms all over the place...rant rant.
On topic, the car actually looks quite nice but the power to weight ratio? oh come on what is the point?
There have also been electric motorbikes at the Isle of Man for a few years now (see: TT Zero). They're being developed fairly quickly (improvement of around 3-5 mph average speed on a ~37.75 mile lap every year from 2010 to 2013), but they still look much slower than the petrol-powered bikes (obviously because they still are), they don't make any interesting sound (a huge downside for me in any form of motorsport) and they still struggle to complete a full lap without serious speed problems near the end.

It's perhaps too early to judge them given the fact they're in their infancy, but the lack of audio stimulation really kills it for me. All-electric powered racing could work well as both a marketing tool and as a serious race series, but the question of where the electricity is coming from is totally valid. If it's still being generated by a largely coal/gas-based infrastructure then it's not really a significant improvement in the grand scheme of things.

Quote from AlienT. :Personally I would use nuclear fuel for cars and most everything else. pig sick of seeing those ridiculous wind farms all over the place...rant rant.

Perhaps hydrogen powered cars where the hydrogen is produced from the nuclear-powered electrolysis of water, but actually having nuclear-powered vehicles seems like an absolutely stupid idea for any number of reasons.
Atleast Formula- E seems to be organized properly, with cars that will have actual craziness.
Quote from JackDaMaster :Because they want the car to have the least drag possible due to the lack of horsepower, hence the wheel flick ups and stuff

it should be better to use Deltawing layout
The sound is irritating.
I've seen the future, and I don't want it

Wouldn't nuclear power be a REALLY bad idea in the event of a crash? Nuclear waste spills everywhere and radiation
Quote from Cornys :I've seen the future, and I don't want it

Wouldn't nuclear power be a REALLY bad idea in the event of a crash? Nuclear waste spills everywhere and radiation

No shit, hence the future is hydrogen.

Also this series is about advancing battery technology and the like, hence the reason it is an open series. Just need the manufacturers to step up now because if they do get involved this could become a great series for innovation.
Quote from JackDaMaster :No shit, hence the future is hydrogen.

Oh the humanity!

The switching cars thing is like the biggest foul-up ever. Nobody would conceive a championship series with such a system, nor would they design a car with the pre requisite that you would need multiple cars per driver.

It's ridiculous. It just seems like the bodging up of an idea that was begun with the best intentions but at some point it became unfeasible so they had this dumb idea to make the best of a bad job. As an advert for electric cars it's up there with the worst ideas ever.
Selling electric car racing to the public, for the next decade or so, is going to be very very difficult. Future generations will be easier of course, but for those who have been brought on with 100+db racing cars its going to be very hard.

Watching the F1 at Silverstone the other day I was struck by how tame they all looked. Take away the noise (which when you arrive at the circuit does get you excited) and you're left with quite an uninteresting sceptical unless you are really into the detail of driving. The noise made ALL the difference... and that's just pretty shit V8s
Quote from Hyperactive :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114733

Why not give them all 200kW.. or 400 while we are at it.

Hahaha, well just in case it was in danger of being a serious championship, this has put a bullet through each letter of the word "credibility".
They should just vote for the winner, then maybe we'd see celebrities like teen-pop-sensation One Direction in the driver lineup, they could have an (electric powered) equivalent of the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine. We should send the FIA all our ideas because obviously they'll do any damn thing that anyone thinks up.
They could make it that the if you don't get some x number of minimum tweets during the qualifying you need to drive the whole race backwards.
#23 - Vain
Quote from Hyperactive :They could make it that the if you don't get some x number of minimum tweets during the qualifying you need to drive the whole race backwards.

The qualifying results are ranked by number of facebook likes.

Vain

Formula E
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG