The online racing simulator
British GP [F1]
(136 posts, started )
Pirelli, y u no admit !?!?!?

BS.
Meanwhile, Silverstone effectively telling Pirelli to fk off after acusations the curbs were causing blow outs. If that's the case why are Pirelli switching to development rear tyres in Germany and 2012 spec tyres in Hungary. Something is pretty broken with Pirelli and its just going further and further down hill.
Quote from Intrepid :And why say it now, why not before? All the cars obviously have varying geometry and set up, yet still suffered the same problem.

It's nothing new. See this article from Spa 2011.

Quote :With the tyre matter the major talking point at Spa, and Pirelli angry that the situation was exacerbated by Red Bull Racing using a camber set-up outside of a recommended guideline, Horner says the issue was taken hugely seriously during preparations for the race.

Pirelli blames the high kerbs yet we have never seen tyre blow outs at silverstone like this in any series who would use the kerbs similar.

I can't see pirelli taking this beating to its reputation much longer, cheese tyres are counter productive to any supplier who chooses to make them.

Its a shame because anyone who knows half there shit know pirelli make the best road tyres out there, and it hurts my brain seeing all the clueless sheep thinking its how pirelli make there road tyres and they must be crap.
I admired Pirelli in the beginning for knowingly making shitty tyres even though to the general idiots would give Pirelli a bad rep. They gave the sport what it was asking for.

Now though, the tyres have gotten to be a joke, and they won't take blame for it?

What they should do is just have a soft tyre that's quicker by multiple seconds a lap but only lasts a few laps. Then the hard tyre is majorly slower but lasts alot longer. There's not enough of a difference in the tyre compounds... What's the point having two different compounds if they're always within a second of each other.... doesn't make sense to me.
Make a hard durable bridgestone esque tyre that can last the entire race distance but is over a second a lap slower and make a fast cheese tyre that lasts 1/4th of the race distance and then remove the two compounds rule, and have a tyre thats qualifying only so the grid is mixed up with strategies.

Pretty much identical to what they had in the 80s but it worked

The qualifying system how it is now is a repeat of the same thing, all the top guys go for the softest compounds.
Well yea, have the guys in top ten locked in to having the q tyre, and those beyond with free tyre option.

You won't get a strategy if you remove two compound rule and the grid lock system as you'll just get q tyres in q and r tyres in r......
Quote from Intrepid :Well, Bridgestone never had this problem.....

It's almost the equivalent of Renault saying to RedBull "your engine blew up because you were running it to 18,000rpm, really you should keep it below 15,000rpm for maximum reliability"

You can't have an F1 tyre manufacturer seriously saying the tyre explodes because the teams are exploring pretty reasonable setup procedures on a normal track. And why say it now, why not before? All the cars obviously have varying geometry and set up, yet still suffered the same problem.

Were Bridgestone tyres asymmetrical ?

All the cars affected had the tyres fitted the wrong way round.
You wouldn't expect them to put front tyres on the rear, so why expect them to put left tyres on the right ?
If I was to use a Black & Decker power saw and power sander, in a race to see which would move down a plank of wood the fastest, only for the power sander to veer wildly of the plank of wood and remove about half the skin on my shin.....then it's not Black & Decker's fault. At no point is that a recomended useage for power tools.

So it stands to reason that if the teams are using the tyres outside the recommended parameters knowingly, then they can not blame the tyre manufacture if and when there are failures. Much like running an engine at a higher rev limit than normal there is a risk/reward calculation to be undertaken and with the lack of any proper testing done on these tyres on this seasons car then the risk was going to be higher than normal than say when they used Bridgestone and Michelin tyres when mid season testing was available.

Pirelli should just go out on the full attack and lay the blame at the teams and the FIA for this. The FIA wanted degradable tyres because of a freak race back in Canada which we all enjoyed and the teams rejected a compound change after 'Tyregate' which by all accounts was to be more durable than this compound and would have likely prevent these blowouts.

It's little wonder that a lot of pressure is being put upon Pirelli when the contract is up this season, the cynic in me is wanting to say that the FIA have allowed this to get so bad so they can negotiate a cheaper contract with Pirelli or another supplier but then that would be ridiculous..........

....wouldn't it?
If Pirelli know teams are using their tyres in a dangerous fashion then quite simply they should refuse to supply them. If Pirelli have knowledge of a clear and present danger in mis-use of their product resulting in catastrophic failure then they should have taken action and informed the FIA who could have quickly outlawed the mis-use of the tyres, namely running the rears the wrong way around. I don't think they can escape responsibility.

... or they should construct decent bloody tyres so teams are forced to explore 'extreme' set up options.
Pirelli is just sick of being pulled either side all the time. You try building a tire that degrades as such and is strong at the same time with non-cooperative teams.

However, there will now be testing and we'll never see 4 stop race again, if a 3 stoppers at times too, which is what everyone wants anyway. It's a shame really, cos there isn't such track as Silverstone for a long time anyway.

http://www1.skysports.com/form ... could-tilt-the-title-race <<<< great overlook of situation and what is most likely going to happen!

I really wouldn't want to be in Lotus/Ferrari's shoes. Hail Mercedes.
I very much doubt teams were putting the rear tyres on asymmetrically. Pirelli have since retracted 'blaming' the teams for that anyway. So go figure.
Quote from BlueFlame :I very much doubt teams were putting the rear tyres on asymmetrically

Quote from Toto Wolff :Most of the teams swap tyres and have been doing it for many races.

Source

Quote from BlueFlame :Pirelli have since retracted 'blaming' the teams for that anyway. So go figure.

Quote from Autosport :Pirelli is introducing new Kevlar-belted rear tyres for this weekend's German Grand Prix, and will impose a ban on tyre swapping and strict limits on camber and pressures.

Source
If both the rear tyres are the wrong way around, are they still not in symmetry with each other?
Quote from NotAnIllusion :If both the rear tyres are the wrong way around, are they still not in symmetry with each other?

the way i see it, it makes no difference if the tires are swapped or not because it is the same sidewall that is on the inside, so swapped or not the tires would have exploded anyway. they are trying to get some of the blame away from them because they ****ed up to begin with and the teams found a way to correct that.
If the rear left is swapped with the rear right, without turning them 180 degrees as well, surely the inside will be on the outside.
Oh ffs, not this again :banghead:
They swap the tyres on the wheels. The outside of the wheel is always the outside, so yes the tyres are rotated 180°.

Tyres are assymetrical internally - the way the belts and plies overlap each other. At F3 level we are told to run new tyres on the correct side, and that swapping the tyres side-to-side is okay after that. But Avon/Coopers are going to be a different construction from Pirelli F1 tyres........

But there IS a difference in swapping tyres. It's not as simple as the inner sidewall remaining as the inner sidewall.
From what I've seen, the steel/kevlar belts are cross-plied. The orientation of the belts would indeed be different.

If you read through this article you can get more of an explanation.

edit: correction, I misread part of the article.
It's really just an excuse from Pirelli, I doubt it would seriously have any meaning, nevertheless, tyre that puncture rolling the wrong way????? OK then.
Quote from Dennis93 :It's really just an excuse from Pirelli, I doubt it would seriously have any meaning, nevertheless, tyre that puncture rolling the wrong way????? OK then.

If those tires are done somewhat similar to normal tires the belts should be woven and integrated in multiple directions, its not a toilet paper roll. If a car tire is one-directional its because of its pattern.

British GP [F1]
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG