The online racing simulator
The Last of Us
(14 posts, started )
The Last of Us
It's been out for a week and no thread in here?

I know, the premise of "(not real) Zombies" is quite cliched, and the gameplay is nothing out of the ordinary, but still, Naughty Dog managed to make something great out of it.

I especially like the semi-stealth approach to combat, because the human enemies don't magically know where you are once you've been spotted. It's actually quite fun to evade the angry mob after a botched stealth kill, just to prey on the scattered guys looking for you.
As some reviews say, the combat really manages both to make you feel vulnerable and empowered. There's always the a thin line between being hunted or the hunter, and in the best encounters, you switch sides more than once.

Also, the story's quite good, I did care for the characters.

IMHO that game is the "Half-Life 2" for the PS: a game that perfected a tried and true formula, great graphics and strong story.

Also, the MP is actually quite fun for a 4vs4 cover based shooter/stealth action game. And NO regenerating health, neither in SP nor MP!
Just got it today
I'm not the biggest fan of "playing movies" as i like to describe this kind of games. Nevertheless, had to buy this one...

It certainly is impressive regarding graphics, immersion, atmosphere, etc.

Things i don't like so much is that it feels very linear, like somebody is always holding your hand...

One thing that constantly is annoying me is the KI of my party members and the enemies. Let's say i am sneaking around in a building filled with enemy soldiers... i'm taking cover behind some boxes, an enemy soldier comes walking into the room... now my party member Tess decides to run over to my position and take cover next to me... so far so good... but then on her way over to my position, she "accidently" runs right in front of the enemy soldier, getting so close to him that she's basically giving him a free kiss and blowjob... and what is the reaction of the enemy soldier? Nothing... It's like you're the only guy that is there, party members are pretty much invisible unless you engage combat with the enemy. This happens all the time by the way... really kills the whole stealth approach for me.

Sometimes it's also a bit of a joke how enemies "forget where you are hiding". I was in a situation yesterday where i took cover behind two boxes standing in the open... imagine two lonely boxes in a parking lot... nothing else around in a radius of 10 meters. An enemy soldier walks towards me and notices me... i shoot, he's shooting... he's 3 meters away from me... and now comes the good part: After two shots exchanged, i duck down again behind the two boxes to take cover. I'm ducking down behind the boxes right in front of the eyes of the enemy standing 3 meters away from me... the only two boxes in a 10 meter radius... the enemy's reaction to this? He's starting to look a bit confused and i hear him saying "Damn, where did he go??", he proceeds to start searching for me (dude, i'm behind the two boxes, didn't you see me taking cover after i tried to shoot you in the face one second ago??)... he then walks past the two boxes playing "i'm dumb and blind, i forgot you are behind the two boxes, i'm a blind cow"... he finally walks next to me and i jump up from behind the two boxes and stealth kill him... really???!

Otherwise it's a good game... visually impressive, ok gameplay, but doesn't deserve a 10/10 rating IMO.
Can someone post some in game pictures?

inb4 google is your friend
Quote from Dennis93 :Can someone post some in game pictures?

inb4 google is your friend

Use te google Dennis-san.
I already did, check white text.

Also I just wanted to post it for the smartphone users and/or those who don't really want to.

but thanks for your very good contribution to this thread, it really means a lot.
I watched the intro level on YouTube. It made me nearly cry.
Quote from jibber :One thing that constantly is annoying me is the KI of my party members and the enemies. Let's say i am sneaking around in a building filled with enemy soldiers... i'm taking cover behind some boxes, an enemy soldier comes walking into the room... now my party member Tess decides to run over to my position and take cover next to me... so far so good... but then on her way over to my position, she "accidently" runs right in front of the enemy soldier, getting so close to him that she's basically giving him a free kiss and blowjob... and what is the reaction of the enemy soldier? Nothing... It's like you're the only guy that is there, party members are pretty much invisible unless you engage combat with the enemy. This happens all the time by the way... really kills the whole stealth approach for me.

Well, that is immersion breaking, but with the heavy focus on înterpersonal relationships, and thus being with some sort of AI companion for most of the game, it's either having them be invisible as long as you're not spotted, with said problems for immersion, OR, and that would be worse, the stupid AI would always get spotted and attacked.

So I rather have companions who are unnoticable over AI that always botches up my stealth attempts.

But what I really like is the old-school touches it has: no recharging health and you're not limited to carrying only two weapons at a time.

And with the backpack system, they struck a nice balance between having your arsenal always available and being able to quickly change weapons in emergency siatuations.
Bioshock did the companion AI thing right as well. They weren't scared to actually remove her from the world for a small while so she didn't get in your way, she gave you health and ammo as needed and had small dialogues between her and booker along the way.

After I find out if whiping the HDD in my PS3 fixed everything, I'll haffto then get the last of us
I'll just say that after waiting since day 1, my body was ready for what was promised... and delivered. Great storytelling, which is the pivotal point of the whole thing. I could mention weird frieindly AI as a biggest flaw, but it doesn't really matter to me, because the story kept me glued to the TV and imo this game should have some awards for this. It doesn't bring anything innovative, it just takes what works best for it and maxxes it. Even though it's basically just corridor action, it works superb-ly, also thanks to the soundtrack, which should get Oscar or something. As i said in other thread, must get for PS3 owners.
Finished the game, the story line kinda gives the impression there may be a sequel.
I am so interested in spending my money on PS3 with revival of GT6, The last of Us already released and GTA5 announcement and then say goodbye to my life. No need to wait for PS4 with all these great games...
Bamp! The singleplayer story DLC about Ellie and her friend Riley, taking place before the events of LoU, is coming out on Valentines day (14th February) for 15 bucks. Really looking forward to it, should be interesting!

The Last of Us
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG