The online racing simulator
smartphone versus tablet
(31 posts, started )
#1 - Mysho
smartphone versus tablet
First of all, I am really looking forward to spend my 300€...

The questions is: smartphone or tablet?

I've never had smartphone, I am still on my LG KP501 Cookie... A good amount of years. And I feel kinda old with it. Like I missed the era of smart(insert whataver here).

Giving the fact I really want to have this all in one thing, GPS, apps, Android etc...

Is it worth to spent money for smartphone when you can have tablet? Bigger screen, more space... What do you prefer?

I need opinions from some nerds as I did not catch this "smart fashion"...
imo a smartphone is more than enough...
only exception when u look a lot of movies, and would like to do that no matter where u are, then a tablet is better.

but otherwise...no.
cant call with a tablet, and i yet have to see pants with pockets that big that u can fit a tablet in it
#3 - majod
find someone in developed EU country who can get you nexus 4 from google playstore and thats your 300€ best investment.

edit:nexus
Nexus 4 should be more then enough.
Depends. If you make lots of phone calls and texts, take the phone. If you don't, and you don't mind if you have to keep your LG KP501 Cookie, take the tablet.
#6 - JJ72
phone, tablet just seems for people with nothing to do and spend all day dicking around online.
#7 - delis
I'd rather spend my money on laptop, rather than tablet... I'm using smartphone though.
It's the same question as always... PC or console, phone or tablet, TV or Beamer...

It all depends on what you do and why you need it. For me, I would recommend a tablet for people that don't need processing power and want to go online here and there. If you travel a lot and want to have some power to play some hd games, why not a laptop?

For me a Smartphone wins hands down. I primarily have a smartphone to listen to music, while being available on phone and getting e-mails without checking them at the pc (however I answer them at home at my pc). Since I don't need any processing power, I usually buy cheap 150€ phones from china with new a android os and something like a 1 ghz dual core processor. If they break after a year, well then I buy another one for 150€. I don't get working colleges that love nothing more then spending >800€ for a new iPhone every year. (Also I always try to travel as light as possible, If it doesn't fit into the pocked and isn't really necessary, it's useless)

Think about what you expect from the phone/tablet and a tablet really is just a phone, that can't make calls with a bigger screen. If you have a PC and use it for internet, usually the phone would be the better option.
#9 - Mysho
Quote from John5200 :Think about what you expect from the phone/tablet and a tablet really is just a phone, that can't make calls with a bigger screen.

Yeh, that's the main reason I'll be a getting smartphone probably, just wanted to hear some opinions. I really don't get the purpose of tablets, sure it's good for people but when having smartphone and laptop there is no need for tablet. Watching movies and playing games, well I really do not watch movies when driving, because I mainly drive when I'm outside of my home... Thanks, I was also making some progress with some tips for smartphone and I think something like Xperia Miro for 200€ would be more than enough for me. No need to spend 300 for a phone...
Then again, Miro is not worth spending 200€ on.
Xperia U is around the same price, but that packs a higher resolution screen and more power, but the downside is the lower capacity battery.
Xperia Sola has around the same specs as Xperia U, but has a 3.7" screen instead 3.5"
Smartphone doesn't replace a tablet and tablet doesn't replace a smartphone. They both have their purposes and best use scenarios. Reading books from a phone screen isn't optimal for example, neither is calling someone with a tablet.
Well... Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 supports calling.
Since when have phones been named after me? Miro ftw
Quote from bmwe30m3 :Well... Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 supports calling.

Reading comprehension? I said it's not optimal to call with a tablet, I know you can do it. Imagine having to grab a 7-10" device from your pocket/backpack just to call/answer someone.
I know, must be a pain, in my opinion the maximal size for a phone that could actually be used as a phone would be up to around 5"
Quote from bmwe30m3 :Then again, Miro is not worth spending 200€ on.
Xperia U is around the same price, but that packs a higher resolution screen and more power, but the downside is the lower capacity battery.
Xperia Sola has around the same specs as Xperia U, but has a 3.7" screen instead 3.5"

Excuse the total stupidity of myself but I was looking for a phone with ICS 4.0 Android and better. Will I be able to somehow upgrade Android 2.3 to those "latest" versions of Android? Xperia U and Sola are available only with 2.3 in my country from what I've been looking at. What's the difference between 2.3 and IC.. I can imagine speed, overall performance etc.?
Those phones will update automatically up to the newest version android that Sony has mad available for those.
GSMArena says that Xperia J can be updated up to 4.1.2, Xperia U up to 4.0, and Miro up to 4.0.
But you can always try rooting the phone and installing custom rom's, that will remove all of the bloatware that operators/sony has added.

Newest Android version should be 4.2.2
Lumia straightaway
According to Amazon the phone is fine.

Android 4.0, 512 mb ram, Gps, micro sd support. And some other source said 800 mhz procesor.

With those specs, I would say the price is exeptable. (However acording to amazon the Xperia E has a faster dual core processor and should be a tad cheaper). You defenitely should check the different versions a bit

Edit:Sorry forget it, but check the other versions^^
Get a 'Phablet' like the Galaxy Note or Note II xD
Massive as a phone but big enough for tablet like stuff. Best of both worlds lol
If you're willing to wear a wireless headset, a tablet (or "slate" as it should be called) is bigger, shows movies and games batter, and has longer battery life.

Otherwise you should get a phone (or phablet). The 200USD Nexus 4 is much cheaper than your 300€ budgets and does what it should do beautifully.

If you don't have a solid reason for high processing power (you won't be using your KP501 now if you do) or latest Android features, you can get something way cheaper than that and still enjoy a good device. My current phone (Tegra 2 1.2GHz Duo, 4.3" 960x540, Android 4.1.2) costs only 120USD/94EUR at the moment and handles whatever workload I throw at it pretty well.
If I had to choose to keep either my tablet or my phone, I'd keep the phone, no question.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 and my tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 - pretty much the same thing just with a 7" screen and no 'phone' parts. The phone can do everything the tablet can and more, due to the mobile internet (tablet is WiFi only) and the only disadvantage is the smaller screen.

The Tablet was really just a decadence ao I could browse, play games etc on the larger screen and to stop the Mrs pinching my phone to play Bejewelled.

Once you go smartphone, you'll never go back and you'll wonder how you ever coped. Within days being able to check where you are with the GPS, or find out something from the internet, check Facebook/Emails/etc becomes just another thing your body does, like breathing.
#23 - mr_x
Quote from JJ72 :phone, tablet just seems for people with nothing to do and spend all day dicking around online.

That's more or less how I see it, too, as far as portability is concerned. A tablet is just a large smartphone that doesn't make conventional phone calls, really.

I'd get the phone. I, personally, would only buy a tablet to use as a 'universal remote' of sorts to connect everything in my house for media purposes. I'd never use it for the internet. If I'm on the go and I need to check something, I've got my phone. If I'm at home I've got my computer. I have no other need for a tablet at all.
Just to sum this thread up a little, I finally bought Sony Xperia P for 150€ when I found great deal down from 350€.

I have to say I am satisfied a lot. This phone gives enough performance for games such as GTA 3 or Vice City without a single lag as well as all functions, features and stuff who person like me would need.

I know it's my first smartphone but I feel like I have iPhone 5 in my hand... just for 350€ cheaper price.

Glad I didn't buy tablet. I can't imagine myself carrying shitload of screen everywhere I go. Phone comes quite handy and has android as well...

smartphone versus tablet
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG