The online racing simulator
A note to those who try to trap demo racers.
You are entirely pathetic.

Every time I come on the forums, I see S2 licensed racers attempting to trap demo racers into saying they've got S2 content. Even when the question is something as innocuous as "How do I use layouts?". It's incredibly easy for a new LFS user to not know the ins and outs of the program. I can remember very clearly that when I first found LFS, I too did not know that demo users could not access layouts or the Autocross track.

What is the point to doing this? I am not advocating the illegal cracking of LFS, but what is the pleasure of doing this to people? Please enlighten me. To see LFS' userbase degenerate into this is absolutely sickening.
I also used crack for many many years
Who didn't?
Yeah, I'm sure someone will post "I didn't"
I didn't.
I use (decent) vob mods
The taller the horse, the harder the fall.
OP, you're just mad that you can't trap them. Get over yourself.
-
(Pablo Donoso) DELETED by Victor : Please refrain from replies with just images.
Quote from Bose321 :OP, you're just mad that you can't trap them. Get over yourself.

And then you wonder why LFS' userbase is dwindling
where as i can understand the principle of it scaring the genuine demo racers from asking questions i can assure you it would not scare the ones that use cracks from playing lfs and i reckon it would not stop people from using them also i guess it could educate some into knowing that they exist which is a bad thing
Quote from ToxicKlay :Blah, blah blah...

Someone at the gas station asking you how to use some obscure feature of your car's stereo might seem a little unusual, but perhaps they have the same car at home or something.

Someone knocking on your door one morning asking how to use the stereo they just stole out your car is a tad different.
#11 - Xone
The trick is to make them admit their fault rather than calling it out. See this example.
Bose, you suck at being subtle

I cracked the game back in 2005(?), and a few days after (paycheck) I bought the S2. I never boasted about it so no bananas were thrown at me.
Quote from ToxicKlay :And then you wonder why LFS' userbase is dwindling

Surely that has nothing to do with the unchanged content for 6 years and counting, certainly not. It must be because some mean people are trying to catch pirates!

Sigh.
Quote from Matrixi :Surely that has nothing to do with the unchanged content for 6 years and counting, certainly not.

I never said anything about this. I'm well aware that there has been no new content, so why are we trying to push pirates as far away as possible when they could be potentially spending money on LFS? Very seldom do I see someone post a link to the shop page, and when it does happen, it's in the form of a ridiculously snarky response. I can't speak on behalf of most people, but if I were brand new in a community and someone was replying to my posts like that, I'd want to pirate even MORE just to spite the community.
Quote from ToxicKlay :Even when the question is something as innocuous as "How do I use layouts?". It's incredibly easy for a new LFS user to not know the ins and outs of the program. I can remember very clearly that when I first found LFS, I too did not know that demo users could not access layouts or the Autocross track.

+1

I used a crack on my old account - it contained a virus - Lesson learned!
I'm inclined to agree with ToxicKlay here. The overall decline of the forums in general, combined with this "Toxic" atmosphere of treating all demo racers asking about S2 content as pirates, is a little saddening. New drivers were once welcomed and encouraged, but now it appears they are treated with suspicion from the outset.

To wonder slightly off topic, but keeping it related, I've long believed that allowing demo drivers to see the full content in action would inspire them to take the leap and buy the full license. The growth of YouTube, and the availability of rigs capable of capturing real time races has alleviated this somewhat, but not everyone is capable of producing thoroughly enjoyable content. With the odd exception, I often find myself wanting to change camera, or linger a while longer on the action while viewing some of the huge library of LFS YT productions. I would certainly love to see a viewer only client that simply renders an S2 replay or allows spectator only viewing of live races. Such a "render only" client may bring new vectors for cracking to full S2, but hopefully it could be done without issue.

Bringing it back on topic - When I joined these forums (as opposed to the one previously hosted on RSC) I was shown as a demo racer despite me be fully licensed. At the time my user name didn't match my license name, and there wasn't any provision to link the two accounts. I even had a sig of "Not a demo racer, but a Demon racer" and even then I felt uncomfortable with the demo tag. I may even have been treated as suspicious at the time, and I certainly still see forum users that have the demo tag who have been around for years. They probably have different user names to their licenses, and haven't done anything about it. I brought another license, but I could understand why someone wouldn't want to post here when they see this level of suspicion.

As for the cracking. There will always be those who steal. It's part of the human condition along with those who murder. There is an argument of "try before you buy" used by some, but that is moot when applied to LFS's business model. Indie developers are a rare breed these days, so circumventing the license isn't "sticking it to the man" or corporate giants, but quite literally taking the bread from a few individuals mouths. However, this does not mean that anyone who asks, or refers to S2 content while they are a demo racer is a crook, and this atmosphere of suspicion across the board is killing the community.

So, could we please moderate ourselves a little while remaining vigilant for the real villians?
Quote from ToxicKlay :I never said anything about this. I'm well aware that there has been no new content, so why are we trying to push pirates as far away as possible when they could be potentially spending money on LFS? Very seldom do I see someone post a link to the shop page, and when it does happen, it's in the form of a ridiculously snarky response. I can't speak on behalf of most people, but if I were brand new in a community and someone was replying to my posts like that, I'd want to pirate even MORE just to spite the community.

If people based their purchase of a game on whether someone was a twat on the game's forum then nobody would any buy game ever.
Quote from ToxicKlay :I never said anything about this. I'm well aware that there has been no new content, so why are we trying to push pirates as far away as possible when they could be potentially spending money on LFS? Very seldom do I see someone post a link to the shop page, and when it does happen, it's in the form of a ridiculously snarky response. I can't speak on behalf of most people, but if I were brand new in a community and someone was replying to my posts like that, I'd want to pirate even MORE just to spite the community.

I don't keep track of every thread that new demo racers start, but in the vast majority of the ones that have some kind of pirate hunt going that I've seen, it's only happening because there is actually evidence to point that the person in question IS actually playing a cracked copy. I reckon if someone has actually pirated an indie game, they deserve every bit of the stick that they get when caught.

On the other hand, demo racers shouldn't be witchhunted if there's no evidence to show that they are actually pirating the game, that is common sense. I suspect some guys get a hard on because they have some kind of a superiority complex just because they spent a little bit of money on a license, and that's just silly.
Quote from Matrixi :
On the other hand, demo racers shouldn't be witchhunted if there's no evidence to show that they are actually pirating the game, that is common sense. I suspect some guys get a hard on because they have some kind of a superiority complex just because they spent a little bit of money on a license, and that's just silly.

Agreed!

Pitchforks and torches have no place here.

Good race relations should be kept on track
i remember when i used to crack games... and i still do but if game is good ill buy it :P
100% with ToxiClay

And those witch hunters don't mind posting 3D studio max (3675$) or photoshop (950$) renders.
Those aren't so cheap lol, however nobody ever asked for showing a license, there is no suspicion, everyone agrees to use them cracked. Even the forum moderators.

Some consistency would benefit this forum.
This is the LFS forum, not the 3D Studio Max or Photoshop forum. Expressing this with a hideously terrible anecdote, go up to the owner of the car you want to steal and say "I broke the window and took the stereo, give me the keys so I can drive it away too".
Quote from NotAnIllusion :This is the LFS forum, not the 3D Studio Max or Photoshop forum. Expressing this with a hideously terrible anecdote...".

Thanks. Precisely the kind of comment that demonstrate how inconsistent your thinking is.
"The law applies here but not there." That's what u write.
Facepalm.
You are as dumb as you are cowardly.
Quote from kingwalter :Thanks. Precisely the kind of comment that demonstrate how inconsistent your thinking is.
"The law applies here but not there." That's what u write.
Facepalm.

do you use LFS crack ? :bananadea

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG