The online racing simulator
Alex Lloyd tells it like it is!
(20 posts, started )
Nice article. Definetely more oppurtunity in nasar though
Thanks for sharing. A good read
Just stating the obvious there, but still nicely written.

I like Alex, very talented and intelligent guy, and some good wit.

Quote from Bmxtwins :Nice article. Definetely more oppurtunity in nasar though

Definitely.

Also, while he mentions that Trucks or NNS are much more expensive than their single seaters "counterparts", he fails to mention that they have an healthy fanbase and strong ratings - NNS usually gets better ratings than IndyCar itself - making it "easier" to find sponsors.
some journalists should read that... too many non sports press people are thinking race drivers money-grubbing suicidal persons.
There's also more seats avalible in the Nationwide and Campiong World Truck Series levels than in the IndyCar Light series.
Quote from Cornys :There's also more seats avalible in the Nationwide and Campiong World Truck Series levels than in the IndyCar Light series.

It's not really a matter of "available seats". I'm pretty sure there are a lot of teams on stand-by, willing to line-up a few more entries. Put $2M on the table and you might find one right now.

The problem is that IndyLights is such a mess right now, no one wants to be involved in it anymore, let alone put silly money into it.

Poor value for money, even by single seaters standards + Badly outdated chassis(2002) + One team(SSM) dominating + Awful standards = Poor car count (then repeat - it's a vicious circle).

Suppress one of those factors, and you might have a few more "seats" appearing from nowhere.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :It's not really a matter of "available seats". I'm pretty sure there are a lot of teams on stand-by, willing to line-up a few more entries. Put $2M on the table and you might find one right now.

The problem is that IndyLights is such a mess right now, no one wants to be involved in it anymore, let alone put silly money into it.

Poor value for money, even by single seaters standards + Badly outdated chassis(2002) + One team(SSM) dominating + Awful standards = Poor car count (then repeat - it's a vicious circle).

Suppress one of those factors, and you might have a few more "seats" appearing from nowhere.

Bernie wants to do a North American GP3 anyways (and a GP2), at least there is this rumour. This might kill Indy Lights though.
#9 - JJ72
I always say motorsport is probably the only thing where the 99% can suck some money off the 1%.
The guy just seems jealous. What's with all the Hamilton pictures?

The guy is stating the obvious but in a really snide sarcastic way..
Quote from TFalke55 : Bernie wants to do a North American GP3 anyways (and a GP2), at least there is this rumour. This might kill Indy Lights though.

Oh, I'll belive it when I see it...

... and even if it ever happens, who says it will ever work properly? Remember GP2 Asia?
For some reason I just don't see the FIA catching on in the United States period. IndyCar has a hard time catching on any more sadly, and look at AP's article on the US GP this year

http://bigstory.ap.org/article ... wins-us-grand-prix-austin

Or this article on why f1 can't catch on here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com ... o-us-fans/article4621709/

Let's be honest, the interest for an FIA league leading into F1 would have to come from an interest in F1 it's self. That interest just isn't there. Sure, F1 can draw large crowds here for one or two events a year, because there's only 2 or 3 races a year in this area as opposed to 38 Sprint Cup races or 20 Indy Races all on at easy to view TV times and at a track near you at least the same number of times as F1 if not many more.

Without a sizable interest in F1 it's self I don't see how it would work to have a feeder series into a series that the mainstream just doesm't care about. Money and drive in the series would be tough. I also wouldn't see any big F1 team having any feeder teams set up here either.
Quote from BlueFlame :The guy just seems jealous. What's with all the Hamilton pictures?

The guy is stating the obvious but in a really snide sarcastic way..

Hamilton seems to be one of his close friend. Agreed for the sarcasm. But still good to hear someone writing what everyone involved or following motorsport know (but not the rest of the world)
It would work better then GP2 Asia, though not sure if it would be succesful. American countries are no motorsports development countries. And since it wouldn't just race in the US and Canada, but also in Argentina, Mexico and Brazil (maybe I shouldn't have said North American) they wouldn't be that dependand on the interest in the US.
If the season costs are as high as in Europe it would definately be an alternate option for a single seater career.
It's only really the single seater route that is the real killer. It's not as hard (obviously) to get into racing and ultimately end up somewhere like Le-Mans or Sebring.

I think the mistake people make is that F1 is the be all and end all of motorsport. Probably the only reason Lloyd is in the US is because for one reason or another Euro SS' wasn't working for him.
Quote from BlueFlame :I think the mistake people make is that F1 is the be all and end all of motorsport.

if you look into the Driver Rankings system of the FIA (platinum, gold, silver, bronze) it pretty much underlines that
Quote from TFalke55 :if you look into the Driver Rankings system of the FIA (platinum, gold, silver, bronze) it pretty much underlines that

Tru dat.

It's a shame, basically if you never make it to F1, you'll never be a household name (in Euro at least.)
Quote from TFalke55 :It would work better then GP2 Asia, though not sure if it would be succesful. American countries are no motorsports development countries. And since it wouldn't just race in the US and Canada, but also in Argentina, Mexico and Brazil (maybe I shouldn't have said North American) they wouldn't be that dependand on the interest in the US.
If the season costs are as high as in Europe it would definately be an alternate option for a single seater career.

With so few GP tracks in America(3, or even 2 considering that Montreal might not be available for a feeder series due to usage restrictions) it would be hard to build something attractive for drivers.

Quote from BlueFlame :It's only really the single seater route that is the real killer. It's not as hard (obviously) to get into racing and ultimately end up somewhere like Le-Mans or Sebring.

To my understanding most of sport cars' paid drivers come from single seaters, no?

Quote from BlueFlame :I think the mistake people make is that F1 is the be all and end all of motorsport.

That I think we can all agree on...
America has the tracks for a awesome gp2 and 3 series, but the fanbase clearly isn't there. Most people watching Indy just happen to be there for alms if there both in the same weekend. Bernie just has too much money. He even tried to pay the london city Officials 50 million to run a race past the palace.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :To my understanding most of sport cars' paid drivers come from single seaters, no?.

not really, quite a few do, but there are drivers with a touring car background and some even with a rally background (and I remember hearing from a driver that switched from racing bikes to sportscars ). The series' being more about consistency than outright pace often needs a different type of driver.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG