The online racing simulator
How did you start playing LFS
(92 posts, started )
Hi, I don't know if a thread like this exists, I did a search but couldnt find anything, if it does exist please point me in the right direction

Basically its just your story on how to started playing LFS ect...

Thanks
Hehe, this could accualy be interesting see where ppl "come from" on this aspect

I played Merchedes Benz World Racing alot, figured how to add other cars, and do adjustments on them.
So me and some friends had fun drifting and racing in mbwr.

Then a friend of mine showed me lfs, and it looked stunning(at the time :P ), and I notised the feal of the car movment looked good.
I started driving(I used gamepad at the time), and I had big troubles controlling it.
I notised adjustment possibillities it the garage, witch you had to MOD in mbwr^^
After about an hour playing around in setup, I had a ball, and did rather okay in a new game.

A bit later, I got hold of a wheel, and then I was sold, never got looked back: LFS was/is the best driving simulator out there imo
#3 - JJ72
LFS.exe
I start playing lfs since Jun. 2004, but its just starting single for a couple of days, then you can switch over to multiplayer. If you like to play with loats of respect you can also buy a s2 license.

Enjoy your stay.
I actually played a lot of racing games before LfS. Several different Formula 1 games, the Grand Tourismo series, ToCA... On computer I sticked to Grand Prix 2, later Grand Prix 3. I first read of Live for Speed in on the AOL.com Games site. Later I watched several LFS races on TV. Back in the time Live for Speed was part of Electronic Sports League and had a ProSeries. Like other EPS diciplines it was broadcasted on the German breach of NBC during its GIGA window. I started to play the demo with about 10 others from my school. We had some weekly competiton. After a year I talked to my parents and got my first wheel for christmas and the LFS license for birthday.
The guy I bought my G25 from gave me a copy, it is just a pity that I only recently discovered how much fun online is, I have done so many laps offline.

PS, I think LFS should come with a warning label
Something like

Warning
Live for speed will ruin every other racing game you played on any platform

And that is true, I have played Forza 4 on xbox the last couple of moths, fired up LFS a few weeks ago, go back to Forza and its like WTF is this sh...........
Well, I played a lot of F1 racing games for the pc, then there was an article on the newspaper about a mexican league that used LFS and gave away S2 licenses to the best demo racers. I got my S2 license for free
I was always into car games (anyone remember midtown madness? Lol) and when i first got broadband (when I moved to the uk) I typed racing simulator on google and here I am today
Gran Turismo nut, all the way from GT1. Got boared with GT4 and went looking at PC sims and browsing various forums I got here.

Loved the game and played it alot until GT5 came out. Now I'm keeping I eye out for S3 and I'll be back. But GT5 will do till then.

P.S what will come first GT6 or S3
When I was +/- eight, I got my very first PlayStation [Playstation 1]. The main game for me was Gran Turismo 1 there and some Nascar series. I didn't really enjoy first person and so on shooters, but I rather stayed with these arcade thingies. Gran Turismo was a complete blast for me and I actually recently played it on PC along with some softwares just to run it on PC

I don't really remember how I got introduced to LFS, other then that I always had problems with the steering speed, because then I had no idea how to configure settings on LFS [mainly because I didn't have any English skills back then and didn't try to solve problems with common sense].

LFS taught me how to speak onglosh, lol :P
I think LFS might have been the first sim I played. Can't remember how I found it or why I went looking for it. I think I was looking for an Archimedes emulator so I could play Saloon Cars.
I got the chance to put my hands on it since it was launched. When I was younger I used to buy PC Magazines that had a 650MB (yes! ) cd, which contained Demos and Apps. Found it amazing back in those days. I think that I still own that CD.
How I started to play
I also played a lot of racing games before LFS, but no other game gives a feeling about car like LFS does. First look at LFS i had when my friend found old CD with games from some gaming magazine.

I liked it a lot and asked friend to borrow me cd. At that moment i didnr know that game can be downloaded completely free of charge.

After a months of playing offline, i figured out how to make account and from then i play it almost every day online. So addictive.

I will be playing it for many years. Best racing ever. Love LFS.
LFS came to my life banck in 2004 into a GameLive magazine, it included a disc with demos of several games, one of them was LFS.

It instantly showed its potential, I was already into simulators but LFS was just better. 2 years later (2006) I got my internet conection, and then the slow switching phase frome F1 Challenge to LFS as my main game took place
At LAN parties we could never play really racing games because none really worked reliably.
They were problematic with network (IPX sucked) or CDs or they would not work on some computers. Or they required to open a new session when someone wanted to (re-)join but then some other player that previously was ingame could suddendly not see the game or whatnot.

Sometimes we managed some rounds of NICE 2 or NFS Porsche.
Eventually I came across LFS and that always worked.
So now we could happily bash around on Blackwood Rally using keyboard, driving with mouse or gamepad was pro stage. Only got a wheel much later.
Lucky that cars took no damage at the time...
Back in 2006, I came by the LFS demo somehow. (can't remember how). I started playing it and I was amazed how realistic it felt.

A couple of days after that, a friend called me that he found a really cool racing game, I just replied "is it called live for speed?". Long story short, we found LFS totally intependetly and we both liked it from the first launch.

A couple of months after that, we started a team which had it's 6th anniversary a month ago...
Back in when ever, I was watching an animated series about cars and street racing called Initial D. I wanted to try my hand at a racing sim with realistic physics and if possible some kind of damage model. I wanted a game where the demo didn't have time constraints and one that wasn't too expensive. So I googled and found LFS. If I recall it was something like a week later that I bought a wheel. Some months after that I bought S2.

Was very actively driving on the STCC servers and later on the CTRA servers. After they went belly up I've been playing on and off.

The thing that irritates me in LFS is the fact that if you take a long brake you have to learn how to drive all over again. If you want to be really fast you have to drive most days. Once or twice a week and you'll keep some of the skill. But if you don't play for a month you'll have to start all over again. At least that's what happens to me.
As everyone did, i used to play alot of racing games way before i even knew about LFS. I always played NFS (all of them, but not the newer versions) TOCA, and Burnout on PS2 and that kinda racing games. And i got sick and tierd of all that unreality and started to look for something more realistic and harder to play, until a year and a half or maybe even two years back, when i came across LFS and i started playing demo (XFG BL1) as everyone, and the frst few times it seemed so hard and i was the type that we all call "crashers" and i played for a week or two until i realy started to like LFS more and more, and then i said to myself that im gona make a new account and start for real, and i did. After that i joined the Air Attack team , where im still a member and a limad, and won the S2 license, when the Air Attack still had a "championship" in which you could win an S2 license in a period of 3 months if you had the most points and was first on the list, and i was and i got it(The championship does not exist anymore).
And in the last few months i started to drive league racing, ETCC at the moment, and think i will stick with league racing, and with LFS until i die LFS4LIFE! <3
Picked it up right after Stunt Car Racer !
Used the keyboard/mouse/crappy thrustmaster wheels for some time and came back with a G25 some 5ish years ago. O'boy, was that a revelation ! Completely new gaming experience! It showed me the true strenght of LFS and I've never since found anything better to suit my virtual driving needs... (That also goes for the excellent online-community!)
My first taste of LFS was from a demo in a PCF or PCG cover disc, but the computer I had access to couldn't run it properly so I gave up on it for the time being. It was only years after that ('05-ish I guess) when I actively demo'd for a year before purchasing an S2 license.
A friend showed me lfs (0.04k possibly and I think it was still hosted on a blueyonder [defunct UK ISP] web space at that time - either that or that's how my mate found it).

Been on and off ever since

Edit: Found what I think is a more recent version of the original page I saw all those years ago, in the archive.org wayback machine - http://web.archive.org/web/200 ... wen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Really takes me back... Oooo when I t'ere lad, downt school

Scawen, Victor, Eric - if you happen to read this, I want to thank you for the joy and people that you've brought me over the years
I used to browse bhmotorsports.com a lot, and they had this section where almost every notable racing game was listed. I was trying most of them, but none of them really got me (besides SCGT and viper racing). I remember trying LFS with a keyboard and was stunned how the tyre flexed and stuff. Bought my license after a year of BL3 keyboard sliding, a wheel some months later, and thats it.
I used to watch a lot GP4 and rFactor crash videos, especially from PhilBlythe25 and rockclan/cholover7. In few of rockclans vids there were clips from lfs and I wondered what game was it. Somehow I found my way to lfs.net, downloaded the demo and begun to drive like an idiot. After getting banned too many times, I found out that actual racing in lfs was also very fun and since then I have been playing it.

So thanks, rockclan
been playing racing games all my life from the ancient days of outrun and lotus challenge on the c64, gran tourismo on ps1 and 2 to almost every car game ever released for pc. can´t remember exactly how i found lfs, because being an race addict i was into every game magazin and internet blah i possibly could find. this was somewhere around 2003/2004. at the time i had a logtech wheel, but without force feedback. shortly after i switched to a logitech red momo and so i liked lfs from the start, because it was and still is THE best driving simulator out there. nowaddays i play with a g25 and a lovely playseat on a big screen and it is still as much fun as ever.
lfs is one of the oldest games i still play. richard burns rally is still a must ´till lfs rallypack manifests into existence. and then i play need for speed porsche for nostalgic reasons.

my biggest wish is a modular lfs with all the racing game content ever made and a complete simulation of all driveable surface of the world. aka a reality simulation in which i can choose to roam or race or drift wherever i want.

very excited looking forwards in lfs development - new physics, new content, new playmodes (?)...
thank you scavier for making this dream reality!

happy driving,

peace mo
I think I originally saw an LFS screenshot on some game magazine in 2002, and then just went online to search & download it right away. Needless to say since I'm still here, it was love at first sight (or feel, since FFB hadn't been done properly ever before) combined with my MSFF.

Now that 10 years have come and gone, I too would like to thank the devs for everything. I don't think I would be the same person I am today without LFS, it has certainly introduced me to many interesting friends and teammates that I doubt I would have met otherwise.

(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG