The online racing simulator
windows or psu or gpu?
(7 posts, started )
#1 - jnr89
windows or psu or gpu?
hello, this is really frustrating, I remember a few days ago I used LFS with a full grid of cars to make a photoshoot of the FBM, my computer was doing pretty well and didnt happen anything wrong..

today Im trying to play LFS just the normal way, and everytime the race is about to start, my pc just restart itself....

I can tell you, lfs open itself normally, the screen options and everything before playing the game is normal. the restart happens just when the race is starting, I tested with other racing game called simraceway and happens the same, everything went ok until the game started the race

Now Im not sure if it is a GPU or PSU problem, or maybe a windows problem?

pd: my computer the last few days has suffered from ramdom restarts but I think is an electric power problem (in my country the blackouts are an everyday thing) is common to have power inverters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ... _power_source_utilization)

sorry for my bad english

edit:
my hardware:
gpu = nvidia gtx470 zotac amp
psu = thermaltake toughpower 850w gold

I think the psu is pretty good, I hope is not damaged =(

edit 2;
I just try LFS without the full screen display and it worked a little bit longer, but the pc restart/crash after a little while, I checked the temperatures and all seems normal

I hope is just a little bit of dust in the gpu, because If I have to buy another one (im praying not to be the PSU) I will go crazy
#2 - Omar1
I think something is overheating, before with my old pc, it randomly restarted... especially during games. Turns out the CPU was getting way too hot and the setting was for it to restart the pc. Bought some cooling paste, everything was fine and a lot faster!
#3 - jnr89
Quote from Omar1 :I think something is overheating, before with my old pc, it randomly restarted... especially during games. Turns out the CPU was getting way too hot and the setting was for it to restart the pc. Bought some cooling paste, everything was fine and a lot faster!

nice point, but I checked all the temperatures just before the restart.

I use everest, realtemp and gpu-z, in this case, I hope is just cooling paste because this will be a cheaper fix, I dont wat to buy another PSU or GPU lol
#4 - Omar1
What were the tempretures? Maybe your bios is set to restart the pc even at temps that arent too high.
This doesn't look like overheating. It's not that easy to really overheat current hardware and even when it happens, the machine would more likely power itself down rather than reboot.

Random reboots with no error message whatsoever can be caused by a power problem. If the electricity supply you are connected to has a fluctuating voltage or runs at unstable frequency, the PSU might not be able to filter that out. Your system might therefore not get enough power under load and reboot randomly. Failing capacitors in the PSU can also cause similar problems.
#6 - jnr89
Quote from MadCatX :This doesn't look like overheating. It's not that easy to really overheat current hardware and even when it happens, the machine would more likely power itself down rather than reboot.

Random reboots with no error message whatsoever can be caused by a power problem. If the electricity supply you are connected to has a fluctuating voltage or runs at unstable frequency, the PSU might not be able to filter that out. Your system might therefore not get enough power under load and reboot randomly. Failing capacitors in the PSU can also cause similar problems.

I get the problem, the GPU was failing, my friend come to my house with a PSU tester and it was ok, but we changed the gpu and problem solved...****..

He told me it seems like a voltage problem could damaged my GPU, now this is a good excuse to get the 560 ti, (coming from the gtx 470)

I have to solve the voltage problems here for sure, is nice to know differents points of views about the same problem, it gives you so much feedback

thank you forum for your answers
I'd go with the 448 Cores version from EVGA. They have a lifetime warranty.
I have two of the regular versions.

windows or psu or gpu?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG