The online racing simulator
Professor Sid has passed
(9 posts, started )
#1 - samjh
Professor Sid has passed
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/9/13793.html

Arguably the most influential man in motorsport. Former FIA medical director and eminent neurosurgeon, Professor Sid Watkins has passed away at age 84.

Much of the modern safety arrangements and medical assistance in motorsport events were founded by Professor Watkins. He pioneered safety barriers, the on-circuit medical centre, the medical car, and aeromedical evacuation protocols in F1. He was also directly responsible for saving the lives of several drivers during his long career.

Rest in peace.
As I said on another, through is actions he had saved probably hundreds of drivers lives due to them walking away from accidents that would of previously killed them. Truely an unsung hero.
#3 - amp88
There are a multitude of reasons to have been in awe of him and his achievements. However, the one that's stuck with me most of all is him saving Mika Hakkinen's life in Adelaide 1995 by performing an emergency tracheotomy trackside. Without Mika late '90s F1 would have been the start of Schumacher's Ferrari domination, rather than from 2000 onwards.

He's gone, but his legacy lives on.
sad news, such a great man !
Sad news, he made the F1, what it is now (in the good way).
Quote from amp88 :However, the one that's stuck with me most of all is him saving Mika Hakkinen's life in Adelaide 1995 by performing an emergency tracheotomy trackside.

Wow holy hell, didn't even know that! R.I.P
#7 - CSF
Quote from amp88 :There are a multitude of reasons to have been in awe of him and his achievements. However, the one that's stuck with me most of all is him saving Mika Hakkinen's life in Adelaide 1995 by performing an emergency tracheotomy trackside. Without Mika late '90s F1 would have been the start of Schumacher's Ferrari domination, rather than from 2000 onwards.

He's gone, but his legacy lives on.

If it wasn't for Watkins, there was no "Schumacher" Era. He would have been dead at Silverstone 99.

Sid is beyond any driver in terms of Formula One legacy.
To that extent, Sid Watkins is in indirectly an F1 champion. RIP.
#9 - Hahmo
R.i.p..

Professor Sid has passed
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG