The online racing simulator
NVidia GTX 480 Card and BSOD [Solved: Faulty GPU Card]
Few weeks ago, I came back from 2 weeks holidays abroad. PC was off for that time, then after couple of days of being on, suddenly got BSOD, which read "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed".

Rebooted pc, but wouldn't go into windows properly, so, eventually (after auto repairing some Window files), managed to boot into Safe Mode.

Rebooted again, and still got BSOD.

Tried rolling back to earlier time using System Restore, but still BSOD. Rolled back further, but still BSOD.

Only changes between restore points were automatic Microsoft updates, so wasn't losing much.

Then deleted NVidia 301.42 drivers, and tried 296.10 drivers, but still BSOD. Then rolled back to 285.62 drivers, but still BSOD.

Tried looking online into what problem might be - broken graphix card or bug in Windows, but haven't been able to find anything definite one way or another.

Not having a spare PCIe card (plenty of AGP type, but they don't fit into my mobo), can't swap out to test.

Although I have all my data of value on my external disk drive, I don't have an image of my C: (image bigger than my disk), I am reluctant to wipe my primary disk and reload Windows, Office, LFS, all my 20+ Steam (and many non-Steam) games, literally hundreds of other programs, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

PC Specs: Win7 Pro (SP1), with Intel i7 (950 @3.07GHz) with 6Gb RAM, GTX 480 (PCIe) GPU, 2 x 1TB SATA drives and 750Watt PSU.
Attached images
BSoD.JPG
Happened to me, what I did was, I turned off my pc unpluged the power supplie took out the card cleaned the slot, booted up went to safe mode with networking, went to nvidia site downloaded latest drivers, rebooted and worked..
I've tried your suggestion, but still getting BSOD, and so back to working in Safe Mode with networking again.

I also looked at the BIOS, and noticed that my 3 x 2Gb memory sticks were only showing in BIOS as a total of 4Gb. Bit of testing later (trying memory sticks 1 at a time), found that one didn't register. Now removed.

Tried getting into Windows again, but pc just reboots part way thru, then shows BSOD (with same error message as before), then reboots again, and gives me choice of trying windows normally or in safe mode.

Updated NVidia to 301.42 - no difference.

Tried changing some BIOS settings;

Init Display First changed from PCI Slot to PCIEx - no difference.
Reset Extended System Configuration Data changed from DISABLED to ENABLED - no difference.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Will it boot from a startup disk ?

If you have your 7 disk try that, and try repair from that, sometimes works
Have you checked the HD as if that's failing that can give that type of issue. It may be a newish drive but I've seen a number fail recently.

If it starts off a boot disk then use that to take an image of the drive. Or safe mode then put an image onto an external drive.

Either way, get anything important off the drive asap.

It may be worth replacing the cmos battery just for the heck of it.

And check the ram is in the correct slot, if you can get a new sim try that as it may be the others are failing as well, just not badly enough to see easily.

Try using a proper uninstall prog to remove the video drivers completely, not just windoze uninstall. then reinstall after a restart.

Then it may be your video card ............
#5 - Mysho
I've got GTX470 and you've got code 116 which is common for these 2 cards. I'd rather type good news, but I am afraid I don't have any. Your GTX is most likely after its life. I am still getting random BSODs with my 470, I am sure it's not an overheating issue as well as dust or any other issue you could repair. I tried literally anything and it still happens - reason: faulty GPU. I still have my old card, because I've got no money to buy a new one.

2 ways how to check it: Put your GPU into someone else's rig. If it doesn't work you've got the clue. If it works, you are maybe having a problem with your RAM. Again, put it into someone else's rig. There is no other way.

Some links to get a better understanding of code 116 (use anything described there to prevent this problem)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u ... f557263%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000116

Quote :"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception.

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash. As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds. If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating. Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU. Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference. If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling."

It is so strange that this is happening to such a big number of GTX 4xx ...... Blame nVidia. Owners of GTX 4xx know...
Many thanks Racer X NZ and Mysho for your thoughts and suggestions.

Further info;

Repair via Win7 disk didn't help.

Boot disk doesn't allow me to make drive image, and in safe mode Windows doesn't allow me to make image. Don't have any other program that I can use to make image, and even if I download one, safe mode stops program from working.

Used boot-up disk to check memory (all ok) and scanned disk during boot (no errors or bad sectors).

CMOS battery ok.

RAM checked and all appears ok - I'm low on funds (I'm currently unemployed) but will order more (new) memory when I can. If nothing else, I want to replace the faulty memory.

Previous versions of NVidia drivers removed properly before reloading new ones.

Unable to put my GPU or memory into anyone else's rig (they're still in the AGP / old memory dark ages!), so have ordered cheap PCI GPU (which I can barely afford at the moment).

Faulty GPU is what I have been thinking is wrong, but hoping as it is less than 2 years old (and was very expensive) that problem might lie elsewhere (cheaper alternative)!

Have cleaned out pc and GPU numerous times, so not dust issue, and all fans working fine. Even after using pc for few days, BIOS not showing any overheating problems.

Hopefully I'll get my new GPU within next few days, and I can swap GTX480 out.

Will let you know what happens.
Just fitted new GTX550 PCIe card, and pc booted straight into Windows without problems.

Seems my not quite 2 year old GTX 480 is deceased.

If anyone wonders about the difference between the 2 cards, my Windows Experience Rating for graphics has dropped from 7.9 to 7.3.
Glad it's now working, bad news about the 480 tho.

The 550 is a slow card so the drop in speed shouldn't be a surprise, I'm running a 560Ti and even that is slowish.

At least your up and running again.
#9 - Mysho
I knew it was faulty card from the beginning. I am friggin hateful for whoever did those cards because it's common issue around the world. Seems like whole GTX 4xx has been faulty........ Shame I bought it. May I ask what firm you bought your 480 from? I got mine from Gainward.
560 and Leadtek.

Run a few of their cards in the past and never had an issue with them. The 480's sound dubious from a number of sources.

At least your up and running - in NZ you'd have a claim under our consumer guarantees act. But we're a bit different to most countries.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG