The online racing simulator
Terrible ai.. gamebreaker
(19 posts, started )
Well today i played this for the first time, found it fun mucking around and trying multiplayer... then i played training, first few levels very easy then i got to the overtaking one, i was driving on the left and a yellow car drives into me from the rear and then i fail challenge WTF i didnt run into him HE RAN INTO ME. thes bots are terrible and obviouslt blind just driving on a railway, ramming them rarely does anything to their course, the just keep going whileyou get sent flying... very dissappointing to see a failin the ai...
#2 - CSF
LFS is an online simulator, the AI are not meant to be advanced.
I agree that the AI is terrible and that the training is very unfair and has nothing to do with player vs player racing. But it's not a single player-oriented game after all so why bother. All the fun is online.
It's a two side thing, saying it's only a online simulator is not the right answer. A lot of users have by various reasons not internett connection when playing, and therfor singleplayer is an option. To just ask them to gtfo (get the #### online) is not possible in every situation.

Also, from time to time AI's could be used in various situations (testing stuff and such), but they are too stupid to basically do anything. It needs to be upgraded at some sort, and I hope it gets a really good overhault at the launch of S3.
#5 - Mysho
If you have a newcomer coming into LFS S2, do you want him to jump directly into online game for some T1 action? No, you want him to do at least the basic offline training, get him some training before he starts racing online.

Would save a lot of bitching about T1 crashes and crashes overall. Because people just jump directly to the first server they see, even if they only have played Blackwood. They need to learn the tracks first, preferably with some sort of AI. Lines, overtaking zones, braking zones, etc.

Therefore I agree with OP, AI needs to be upgraded, I know it's not a priority and I can live without that, but it is a good thing in general...
The AI learns so it gets a bit better, its still shite though. Not to bad when your up to speed and give it the same respect as you would other players when online (demo servers excepted) and you can have a good dice with individual cars but it still does bloody stupid stuff, get past a few cars on the 1st bend and they will try and drive straight through you as though they have no idea your there.

After racing the ai a lot I notice some other sims have chickenshit ai that pussys out at the slightest attempt to steal the line from them, that makes LFS ai seem impossibly unforgiving at first but they do have a very slight glimmer of intelligence, artificial stupidity would be more accurate though.
#7 - Bean0
I may be wrong here, but I'm sure the AI 'learn' and improve the more they are used.

At the moment, your AI are quite literally a bunch of n00bs.
#8 - Mysho
Quote from Bean0 :I may be wrong here, but I'm sure the AI 'learn' and improve the more they are used.

At the moment, your AI are quite literally a bunch of n00bs.

Are you speaking about offline races or training lessons?
Quote :Are you speaking about offline races or training lessons?

Could be talking about the demo servers :P
Quote from General-NOH :thes bots are terrible and obviouslt blind just driving on a railway

Trains are awesome, Don't you think?
Good example of AI shitstorm:
Take full grid BF1's on a small track, lets say FE1, then do a simple 20-30 laps race, count the times some AI is stucked on the gravvel in turn one.

Even Lerts crispy bisycle would perform better than the AI atm. and as Mysho says, it could instead be on a competative level so the newcomers could use it for training.
Do you want good physics or good AI? Because as far as the current CPUs are concerned, there's no way we could get both at the same time.
We don't need a very good AI, but we need an AI that is smart enough to take a corner (again, just check FE1 with BF1 or FO8 etc.).
Shouldn't take insane amount of hardware.
Quote :Do you want good physics or good AI? Because as far as the current CPUs are concerned, there's no way we could get both at the same time.

GP Legends ran on a P2, had great physics and the AI was so good you could tell who the driver was as they all had their own driving styles, LFS has generic Goofy clones, you can almost hear them going 'duhur duhur' as they drive flat out into you.

Another +1 to Mysho, the AI nearly put me off LFS and would be better removed altogether as far as new players learning tracks is concerned.
Another little question:
Has anybody tested if its possible to give different Setups for the AI ?
I mean 5 XRT with 5 different Setups?
It is.
How?
In options you can chose "AI use player setup", now if you change cars the AI will have those varius setups, but I think that if you add more cars of the same class it will just use the last setup. Or is the setup chosen when you add the car?

If so then how to do that would be like this:
* Make a setup and add AI car
* Change the setup and add a new car
* Repeat above

?
It's easy to test. Make two completely different setups (one slammed, one really high). Select one, add AI. Select other, add AI. Works for me.
Attached images
lfs-ai-setups.jpg
Great Thx @NotAnIllusion

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG