The online racing simulator
First Layout Attempt : "Kart GP"
(6 posts, started )
#1 - DjFIL
Thanks to all that helped providing tips about building layouts in my other thread. My first design is complete, and I'm pretty satisifed with my first attempt. Best played with the MRT, one of my favourite cars to drive with in LFS. My best (probably not the best) is just over 1:10 in the MRT. Hope you have fun with the layout, comments would be much appreciated.

!!EDITED!! Download linked is now for updated version 1.1, see post below for details regarding changes.
Attached images
KartGP.jpg
Attached files
AU1_KartGP.lyt - 6.2 KB - 308 views
Things that I like:
-distance markers
-width of the track
-speed bumps used as kerbs (but in some areas it's easy to flip because of them)

Things that I don't like:
-in some parts it's hard to follow the track because the lines are not easy to see. I suggest using hay bales (see attachements for an example).
-you have made only one layout .... do more.

I like the layout and I think it would be great for some MRT races. BTW I did 1:08.20 driving with my mouse after 2-3 slow laps (just to see the layout).

Attached images
With hay bales.jpg
Without hay bales.jpg
#3 - DjFIL
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I will consider doing some additions to help with more visual cues... just have to manage the number of objects I have... I'm very close to capacity (800) as you may have seen. Probably see an updated release soon, and hopefully more layouts too. I really enjoy making layouts, and the editor is fairly easy to use.
There are a lot of places where you can use less objects IMO.

Also, try uising the same style of kerbs. (example below)

Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
#5 - DjFIL
Download in original post has been updated to version 1.1. Please re-download and update to the latest version.

Changes include addition of haybales at corners to assist with visibility, optimization of objects so I could add higher priority items, and adjustment of a few kerbs (at turn 10 [tight chichane] and turn 12 [sharp left turn]). Also a few adjustments on the checkpoints, you can cut corners within the walls... but since kerbs are there you will be punishing your self anyway.

On your provided example of the kerbs at the double apex right turn. I wanted the kerbs to be organized like that, so the bumps are in the direction you are coming from. And it was designed that the second apex is 'sharper' then the first corner.

Don't think there will be more updates to this... on to a new layout soon. More feedback is appreciated. Enjoy.
Really good for a first layout.

Couple of things that I noticed;

- at least 2 places where the track could be cut to gain time - think about using route checkers or marshalls (visible or invisible)

- hitting lines and kerbs doesn't give time penalties, but cones, tyres, barriers, banners, posts and other objects do, so if you don't want anyone to have a time advantage by cutting corners or jumping kerbs, think about using these time penalty objects?

- think about using coloured line to show where start/finish line is located (I know you've used tyres, but a line helps too)?

- your arrow lines to show start formation are good, but rather than just an arrow pointing one way (as in <-- or -->) maybe overlaying a right and a left arrow on top of each other (<-->) to show start position would look better?

Good luck on any future layouts.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG