The online racing simulator
Why do people make such weird FZ2 setups?
(5 posts, started )
For two years or so, I've been racing the FZ2 with mouse. It was not until I got my hands on a setup by N. Herrmann that I began doing Airio top laps. Since then I've recived alot of different FZ2 setups from fast racers, and they all seems to be build on the same recipe.

But the other day I was consulting the advanced setup guide at LFSmanual, and I thought I'd give it a shot making a new setup according to all the advice and best uses described in the guide. And so far it's been very successful, I've set quite a few Airio WRs for FZ2 while testing my new, "good use" setups.

It made me wonder why do many fast racers deviate from the advice provided by the advanced setup guide. Is mouse steering really that different from using a wheel and pedals?

All of the FZ2 setups I've recived from other racers have extremely high rebound values on the front, and quite high rebound values on the rear. Most of the time, the front rebound values far exceeds the critical damping values calculated by VHPA. In the guide I read that, in real life applications, the rebound value should be around 80% of the critical damping value. Many FZ2 setups are over 100%, and some setups I've seen are up to 140%.
Another thing I've noticed is the spring force on the front suspension is allways set higher than recommended by the guide, considering the weight distribution and spring frequensies.
So my setup has quite lowered rebound values at the front, and some lowered rebound values at the rear, along with lowered spring forces for the front suspension.

Setups with excessive rebound values both front and rear, and high spring force at the front, makes the FZ2 feel more unresponsive in my opinion. With these types of setups I also have alot of problem trail braking since the car will understeer and lock up the fronts quite easily. Another problem is oversteer at the turn exits (all though less power locking on the diff can be quite helpful).
So, I am keen on hearing why others use these types of suspension settings, and what advantages it has that I apparently can not utilize.

One aspect of my setup that really deviates from the setup guide, is the LSD diff settings. People allways told me to use as much power locking I can handle, and as little coast locking as possible. I do the exact opposite. As little locking I can get away with under power to keep me from power oversteering, and as much locking as possible while coasting to keep the rear from sliding out.

The only negative thing about my setup I have noticed, is the fishtailing can be quite severe once it starts going. I'm guessing it has to do with my lowered rebound values which allows the weight to be tossed around more.
But the quicker rebound frequencies (from lowering rebound values) at the rear is really helping putting the power down over the bumps.

I don't want to reveal my setup values just yet. But I aimed for something in VHPA like this:

Front spring force: 70 Nm/mm
Damped bump frequency front: ca. 1.80 Hz
Damped rebound frequency front: ca. 1.20 Hz
Bump/critical ratio: ca. 80%
Rebound/critical ratio: ca. 90%

Rear spring force: 92 Nm/mm
Damped bump frequency rear: ca. 1.85 Hz
Damped rebound frequency rear: ca. 1.55 Hz
Bump/critical ratio: ca. 70%
Rebound/critical ratio: ca. 80%

Rear ARBs are set to around 80-90 Nm/mm, and fronts are set to dial in the overall balance to my liking.
Well basically one thing to notice is that 85% of GT2 's setup are from endurance races (gtal or moe). Basically weight distribution change a lot so you need to compromise it.

Moreover LFS physics have limits so it can't be realistic. Then ofc everyone isn't really good for setting up a car. Btw for FZ2 my usual values are around that btw on real race car frequency are higher.
90% of the sets I got send online (for any car) use a fully locked diff (spool), and numerous "tweaks" (ridiculous ARB settings, rebound values at 130+% etc.) to get around the severe understeer this diff causes normally.

Somehow (with the tire model we have now) these sets end up being pretty fast nonetheless, especially at corner exit
Most of my sets had pretty reasonable damper rates, with rebound ~100% in VHPA and compression varying around 40-80% depending upon my needs.

CoRe's XR2 set for the MoE 24HR race at AS5 back in 2008 wasn't entirely made by me but most of the final touches were mine. I believe we were able to go farther than anyone else per stint through a combination of a good setup that was soft on tires and a gentle-yet-fast driving style.
http://core-racing.com/?p=9
It's not just the FZ2 though, XFG setups are still locked diff, huge front bar, minimal rear bar and very little oversteer from springs. I guess it's down to several factors coming together to create a significant effect. Tyre load sensitivity, somewhat incomplete damper implementation, lack of anti-dive/squat, simple aero (I still see a lot of high-downforce cars running obvious amounts of -ve rake.. wtf) etc. Due to a combination of things, unrealistic values may provide similar or better results..

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG