The online racing simulator
Demo racers
(63 posts, started )
Demo racers
I think the demo users are given way to much of the game, and it shows with the amount of people in the demo servers to the s2 servers, i mean online play on a free demo is a little too generous if you ask me, and demo teams WTFOMZFG!!1111 thats just slapping the devs in the face isn't it?

I think they should be given a "taste" of the game maybe limit online to 1 lap or something, im sure alot more people would pay for it then rather than being stingy ****s

*Prepares flame retardent suite*
Demo users should be allowed to play online, I wont try NkPro *because* i've heard bad things about its online play stability and I cannot test it out until I fork over cash. Mind you 1 great race game really is enough any way.

However going as far as having demo teams does imply something is a little wrong.
I agree to some extent, and have said in the past that the demo should have its multiplayer side limited to either a speficied time or lap quota, you should know pretty quickly how good the netcode is, you would'nt need long.

ATM it is all too easy to stick with the demo, there is far too much included (unlimited MP for one thing).

Dan,
#4 - Fetzo
i think the content of the demo is perfect. especially for racers who weren't in simulations before lfs. it's a very nice start for these ppl.

i am sure that every racer, who really likes lfs and can afford it, will buy the licenses.
I agree with u Fetzo, but just 1 thing, maybe XRT should be taken from demo, lots of people ruin the race with these for others, for instance T1 in bl2, xrt's get off the line faster, but most of the people are slower in T1 with xrt than XFG can take it. My suggestion is to take the XRT away from demo online users, then atleast the "drifters" start to think about buying the game, about that time limit, i think it should be like 2 months, because the learning curve is very steep for someone who has never really played any sims before (such as myself) and it really took me like 1.5 months to really get used to it, so my final statement is: No XRT (atleast for online play) and a 2 month limit for the Multiplayer!
YES YES YES! TOTALLY AGREE! Actually ive never thought about that, but when i start thinking, then yes, i find that its too much for demo players...unlimited MP with Single player and even some of training and offcourse, XRT is too much for Single player, becouse i played demo first for few months and i find that, if there wouldnt be XRT , then i would have bought Licnese even sooner. Some people just agree with 5 tracks (including reversed) and 3 cars and they just play demo, becouse its enough for them..so they wont buy the license.

S2 is great and i hope that still people buy it more and more, to support our fine devs
and one more thing, i think the XRG is way too much underused in Demo, because there is XRT wich is much faster than any other car in Demo, so cutting off the XRT should give the XRG much more use, it is a blast to drive!!
#8 - filur
And turn off insim on demo hosts, getting statistics without lfsworld is just another reason not to buy the full thing.
Taavi, ur right, i would add that if someone wants to become drifter and he/she dont have license, he can start with XRG (as its good for start) and if he/she would like to be more advanced drifter, he would buy the license and so on.
Quoting the XRG description from Liveforspeed.net:

XR GT

Being a rear wheel driven car, but without excessive power to them, this car is great to get the feel for racing with a RWD. Learning to catch the balance in turns, it will prepare you for its bigger brother, the XR GT Turbo.

So this would clearly mean that XRT shouldn't be in the demo.

and here's the description for XRT:

XR GT TURBO

Loaded with a 2 litre turbocharged engine, transferring its power to the rear, the XR GTT has become one of the favorite cars in S1.

Thanks to what? I'd say thanks to the demo they provided.

just my 5 cents.
At the end of the day i'm sure the devs have done what they think is the best business model. We say we'd like to see more demo users become full license holders because we want more people to race with and we want the game to go from strength to strength.

The devs want to earn a living, and to support this they have lfsworld and the master server providing them invaluable usage and customer behaviour statistics.

We dont have that information, but if the demo servers really where not resulting in S2 license sales i'm sure that it would get addressed, perhaps in a more statistically accurate way than our suppositions could construe.
I have had the demo for AGES, with the intention to getting the full thing 'sometime'. That time came and now I have the full thing, however we will continue to race the demo at LANs (for the majority) and it is one of the best 'demos' about and is very good at getting people interested in the game. Perhaps the problem is that a racing game inherently does not lend itself to demo versions. If you were to limit the max race length for the demo version or something similar I think it would be better than no online at all. People that are 'casual' users and unlikely to ever buy the game will not be unduly bothered by only being able to compete in 10lap races. Whereas a 10lap online race is enough for anyone who is interested to get a very good idea if they want to go for S2.
I think the demo should have a 14 day time limit.
Quote from duke_toaster :I think the demo should have a 14 day time limit.

agreed
Quote from Fetzo :i think the content of the demo is perfect. especially for racers who weren't in simulations before lfs. it's a very nice start for these ppl.

i am sure that every racer, who really likes lfs and can afford it, will buy the licenses.

Thats how they got me.
Loved the game from the first time I played it online.

One thing to add though. I first bought the S1 licence , before upgrading to the S2. I noticed the S1 multiplayer area is rather empty. Most of the time I had only the S1 , I played in the demo zone.

About the 14 day limit , I don't know if that is such a good idea. I played the demo untill I was sure I could handle all the cars in it , before upgrading to the S1. Without the latest patch , the GT Turbo can be a real handfull. It took me more than 14 days to get used to it.
#16 - axus
Prepare to be flamed by (OMFG OH noes!) Demo racers. I do agree to some extent. I had the demo for a year or so, and used it quite a lot. Stupid not to buy it sooner really. I guess I would have if the demo online time was limited. Would be hard to enforce without using the registry... and even then there are easy work-arounds.
I think it's fine as is. Time limited demos do little to encourage buying. Having lots of people playing the demo isn't a bad thing at all. It's certainly a much better case than no one playing it.
Demo content is fine the way it is. No, it shouldn't be restricted or have anything else added to it.

Think about it... would you rather they learn to drive on demo or get their practice on S2 servers? People complain when new drivers join S2 servers because their driving is shakey and they wreck a lot. What's the first thing new drivers get told... go practice offline or go to demo.

There's nothing wrong with having demo teams or demo events. If nothing else it'll help teach them driving skills faster. I've seen so many demo team come and go... people constantly changing teams for one reason or another. Maybe having the demo events will help weed out the good drivers from the bad so a few good solid team foundations can be built.

Hmm one last 'think about it". How's it hurting 'you' as an S2 driver when demo teams are made or demo events held? It doesn't... and LFS forums are for people to discuss LFS on... it's not limited to license holders only. Nobody paid for that privilege. As far as I'm concerned only 3 people have a right to say anything about demo content and if they have a problem with it, I'm quite sure something would have already been done to handle things.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
I agree with removing the XRT from the demo, and taking away InSim so that there can be no stat recording. Also, OutGauge and OutSim, if they are in demo, should be removed. "No motion simulators for you, freeloader!"

Also, limiting the number of players on a demo server might help, and a nag screen that shows all the cool S2 content that stays up for 5-10 seconds on exit.
Quote from nfsjunkie91 :and a nag screen that shows all the cool S2 content that stays up for 5-10 seconds on exit.

30 seconds at startup as well. And also some adverts in the demo on the text chat (i.e. "This race is brought to you by SPONSOR").
Developers should be improving the game to the point where the game justifies the spending of the money. As of now i don't think LFS is at that level.

limiting the demo as means of getting people to buy it is the wroung way to go about it. Developers should be improving the game to get people to buy.
Quote from lalathegreat :Developers should be improving the game to the point where the game justifies the spending of the money. As of now i don't think LFS is at that level.

limiting the demo as means of getting people to buy it is the wroung way to go about it. Developers should be improving the game to get people to buy.

I think this is the best game i have ever bought and has fully justified the money i spent, i dont think you can have an opinion or atleast a valid one to whether the game is worth the money as you have yet to do so..

i also went on to spend 30+ pounds on a wheel because i felt the game was that good.
Quote from lalathegreat :Developers should be improving the game to the point where the game justifies the spending of the money. As of now i don't think LFS is at that level.

I've paid £36 to LFS.
I've paid, in total, about £200 for wheels (I broke lots in the 'early' days)
I've paid £250 for ECCI pedals
I plan to pay £60 for a DFP to replace my Momo but only when I can afford...
To buy a FREX kit for it, at around £100 but that needs me...
To buy a small racing wheel to mount, about £90 from Demon Tweeks.
Then I'll upgrade my PC a bit probably, but I won't count that as it's not only to do with LFS.

I think LFS has been worth it
You see, I really do intend on getting an S2 liscense. I have the money, but my parent's don't trust the LFS site. I can't get a money order, and I still am not sure about mailing money to someone through the mail. Please don't exile me.
Quote from wheel4hummer :You see, I really do intend on getting an S2 liscense. I have the money, but my parent's don't trust the LFS site. I can't get a money order, and I still am not sure about mailing money to someone through the mail. Please don't exile me.

I bet you'll kill me when you read my PM. Please don't be nasty to me. I'm lovely really.

Demo racers
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG