The online racing simulator
The "steering while stopped" behavior is due to torsional stiffness. Here's data from a couple of tires measured where the tire is stationary with some load applied, then twisted through different angles:

http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/tiretorsion1.JPG

This sort of works a bit hand in hand with aligning torque in reality, but is not typically very important or noticeable at anything approaching racing speeds since it really has more to do with how quickly you steer the wheel than what the slip angle is. If you were doing a driving simulator for very low speed driving it'd be a nice touch to include, but the aligning torque when the wheel is rolling is much more important.

In LFS and most other sims I just use spring centering FFB, so don't have any LFS specific comments on this.
Quote from jtw62074 :The "steering while stopped" behavior is due to torsional stiffness. Here's data from a couple of tires measured where the tire is stationary with some load applied, then twisted through different angles:

http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/tiretorsion1.JPG

This sort of works a bit hand in hand with aligning torque in reality, but is not typically very important or noticeable at anything approaching racing speeds since it really has more to do with how quickly you steer the wheel than what the slip angle is. If you were doing a driving simulator for very low speed driving it'd be a nice touch to include, but the aligning torque when the wheel is rolling is much more important.

In LFS and most other sims I just use spring centering FFB, so don't have any LFS specific comments on this.

Wouldn't it affect the FFB a bit? (like the aligning torque)
I did some testing with the sound down on the skidpad. It has now become clear that the only understeer I can feel is the transition into understeer because of power, in a fwd. Not sure how I tell on the other cars / situations, assume it must be a combination of visual, auditory, and learned response...

found the ffb rather disappointing during my testing. It feels spot on over bumps, but the movement of the tyres themselves, losing grip / gaining grip etc, is pretty weak / non existant.
Now I'm going to have to find a quiet parking lot and scrub the tyres on my real car
Curious to see what you come up with on that Blowtus.
#30 - Gunn
I think it is important to first establish that everyone has their steering wheel set up in a similar fashion before making comparisons based on people's individual experiences.

Simply having the centering spring enabled or disabled changes the rules and I know many people still have it enabled, it is always helping to return the wheel to the center which is not neccessarily going to be realistic. Then there are various setups which can differ in feel quite remarkably.

Some people mention weak forces, but with my wheel set to 100% it actually wears me out after a while and I have to drop the rate, my point being: we aren't all dealing with exactly the same feeling, even those who are using identical hardware.
It is possible, or perhaps probable, that we are all experiencing different levels of feedback and getting different responses from our setups. We also know that changing your set will effect the force feedback you recieve.

If you are going to contribute to one of these discussions it may be helpful to state which controller you are using and which basic settings you are using for the controller. Perhaps a clear pattern will emerge with a more relevant sample?
fair point Gunn. During the testing I did I went through the whole spectrum of controller settings, tyre pressures, cambers, castors, etc. tried a few different vehicles.
Quote from Gunn :I think it is important to first establish that everyone has their steering wheel set up in a similar fashion before making comparisons based on people's individual experiences.

Simply having the centering spring enabled or disabled changes the rules and I know many people still have it enabled, it is always helping to return the wheel to the center which is not neccessarily going to be realistic. Then there are various setups which can differ in feel quite remarkably.

Some people mention weak forces, but with my wheel set to 100% it actually wears me out after a while and I have to drop the rate, my point being: we aren't all dealing with exactly the same feeling, even those who are using identical hardware.
It is possible, or perhaps probable, that we are all experiencing different levels of feedback and getting different responses from our setups. We also know that changing your set will effect the force feedback you recieve.

If you are going to contribute to one of these discussions it may be helpful to state which controller you are using and which basic settings you are using for the controller. Perhaps a clear pattern will emerge with a more relevant sample?

I agree with Gunn on this. Here is my setup. Momo Racing 100% on all effects accept the centering spring.

I feel understeer VERY well. The FWD GTR car is exteremly noticable in the understeer ( I own a Dodge SRT-4 and the handling characaristics are very close, just not the speed factor as much, getting there though =) The wheel becomes "dead" and it becomes lighter, just like my SRT does when I understeer in that.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG