The online racing simulator
Is this a common thing still
(33 posts, started )
Is there still oval bf1 servers with bumping/drafting

I used to do this years ago in the FM servers, does it still happen on lfs, or is that old news now?
It's been long since I did the oval. I don't think it's gone, I think people are still doing it, at least over at the FM server.
I did however some weeks back tried a french server with the BF1's (a single race). There were a lot of drafting and co-working here, but no one did bump drafting.

Do you want bump drafting or not? Was hard to tell out from the post.
I do think that he means bump drafting.
Bump drafting in a BF1? You only do that once in a race. It's not possible without spinning the car ahead around.
Bump drafting in the BF1 is easy as pie
Did a 29.68 back in time when we did 3-man bump drafting.
Really? Hm.. never tried though, but always thought it wouldn't work.

Anyway, seems like I've learned something new.
Hehe, I think you maybe are refering to the FO8? That one was a beast to controll. However, that too got easier to drive after the last physics patches
FO8 is very easy to bumpdraft,as it's very stable in oval. BF1 is slightly harder,but still possible,haven't tried too much though.

About servers - well,FM Oval junkies were quite crowded last saturday evening,when I was last time there,but that was GTR server...
The BF1 is the easiest, however there is ONE thing that you absolutely need to not murder everyone on the track: A high front wing. If not the wing will go under the car in front and all shit is lose.
I don't agree, as in the draft the final turn is really hard to make, and that's usually what causes the crashes.
What kind of setups have you been using? The 2/2 wing allways seemed to give enough grip to last in the last corner. It was of course not very easy, but it's was not that hard either IIRC.
For me BF1 bump drafting seems easier than with FO8.

With the correct setup which I already use for years it's no problem, would have to check wings.

FO8 however, always seems to have the will to lose grip and control in the final turn.
Quote from The Very End :What kind of setups have you been using? The 2/2 wing allways seemed to give enough grip to last in the last corner. It was of course not very easy, but it's was not that hard either IIRC.

I believe i did 2/1 most of the time. because i always struggled with front end grip.
Do you by any chance remember what tyres you were using? R2/R3/R4 in front/back?
Quote from The Very End :Do you by any chance remember what tyres you were using? R2/R3/R4 in front/back?

So many years ago.... i think it might have been R4/R3.
'Aye, some of my memories are vague on this aswell. R4 was the fastest but gave a little trouble at the grip. R3 + 2/1 or 2/2 wing seemed, with the right setup, to give good speeds and good cornering speed and controll.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that there still are some community left that does the oval. I think Rockinham will put some of it back too.
Quote from The Very End :'Aye, some of my memories are vague on this aswell. R4 was the fastest but gave a little trouble at the grip. R3 + 2/1 or 2/2 wing seemed, with the right setup, to give good speeds and good cornering speed and controll.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that there still are some community left that does the oval. I think Rockinham will put some of it back too.

Rockingham is the worst Oval to add to LFS... It's a dragstrip with hairpins is what it feels like...
Oh? I have not watched any videos of the oval at Rockingham, I just though it would be funny. But, an high-speed-oval-with-banked corners.. that would be something! Also, give us an Indy Car to drive on it with ;D
Quote from The Very End :Also, give us an Indy Car to drive on it with ;D

Screw IndyCar - the machines from CART series from late 90ies is the real deal! They squeezed 400 km/h in draft in those fast 2 mile ovals in these days!
actually UF1 is easiest on oval, also helps if you add 50% intake restrictions
Obviously you haven't tried FBM - it has so much grip and so little power for track that big,you have almost nothing to do when driving alone.
Quote from The Very End :Bump drafting in the BF1 is easy as pie
Did a 29.68 back in time when we did 3-man bump drafting.

Think mines 29.54 with Plaztikman and someonelse 3man
Quote from Eclipsed :Screw IndyCar - the machines from CART series from late 90ies is the real deal! They squeezed 400 km/h in draft in those fast 2 mile ovals in these days!

Damn! What does today's car produce?
Was their power decreased due to safety reasons or what? I am not very familiar with the history of Indycar.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :actually UF1 is easiest on oval, also helps if you add 50% intake restrictions

Now that is some slow racing... tho it's allways very close racing haha!
(Just tried it once, not with 50% restriction tho, but with the UF1)

Quote from Eclipsed :Obviously you haven't tried FBM - it has so much grip and so little power for track that big,you have almost nothing to do when driving alone.

FBM... pffft, does not like that car, but I guess it could be enjoyable

Quote from [DaEmOn] :Think mines 29.54 with Plaztikman and someonelse 3man

Nice, three men bumpdrafting was allways fun, but hard due to lag.
Quote from The Very End :Damn! What does today's car produce?
Was their power decreased due to safety reasons or what? I am not very familiar with the history of Indycar.

Not sure about new 2012 cars,but previous model had ~650hp. Don't know exact figures about these crazy CART machines either,but heard something about 1000hp,which maybe might not be true,but 800+ were deffinitely,if not even 900hp. But yes,most likely power was decreased due safety...
God damnit, the faster the better
But of course safety should come first.... but admit it.. the more the better yes? What about the class B supercars back in rallycross and rally... who does not miss them?

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG