The online racing simulator
What view do you use?
(37 posts, started )
What view do you use?
I use to have cockpit view for the pure realism factor but i find its easier to use the Wheel view (bonnet?) as you can watch your wheels clip the apex perfectly etc, were as with cockpit its almost a guess as you cant actually see your what your wheels are doing...

what views do you guys use? i think im going to get back into the cockpit view to add more realism but at the cost of maybe slower lap times
It was discussed a little while back, in great detail, my general opinion is, cockpit is more realistic, but like you say, you get fast/easier laps using wheel view, although I could never use wheel view, feels to "gamey".

Dan,
If you're in a close race it won't make any difference if you lose half a second per lap or however much time, as you will be racing against another car, you will pace yourself to them anyways!

Plus some noob will take you eventually!!!

Cockpit view is my favourite, but everyone like their own style...

I sometimes use the chase view if I am drifting around a track or RallyX
Quote from danowat :It was discussed a little while back, in great detail, my general opinion is, cockpit is more realistic, but like you say, you get fast/easier laps using wheel view, although I could never use wheel view, feels to "gamey".

Dan,

Agreed... humm quite the predicament , k cheers anyway guys

EDIT* and Thorvertonian where in Devon do you live mate? i live in A village called kingskerswell between Newton Abbot and Torquay small world

P.s are you also part of Simfia.com..?
wheels view minus the wheels for me. Feels the most realistic. Driving in real life I don't have a problem placing my car where I want it, have a much better spatial awareness. This view partially makes up for that, and it also means the monitor functions more as my windscreen, with all the other crap around here (wheel, desk, etc) as my cockpit. I might try sitting slightly to the right of the monitor and see if it feels more realistic...
I use the cockpit view on nearly all vehicles.
although on the open wheelers i've created a custom view where it's like the camera on the airvent just above the drivers helmet looking over the cockpit.

Gives you a broader view of the track and wheels. Does have it's minor downfalls but thats mainly what i use
#7 - boxer
Cockpit usually.. although for some reason i tend to use the 'wheel view' for the LX's..

I'm sure every driver in real life would rather have the wheel view :P
Quote from Blowtus :wheels view minus the wheels for me. Feels the most realistic. Driving in real life I don't have a problem placing my car where I want it, have a much better spatial awareness. This view partially makes up for that, and it also means the monitor functions more as my windscreen, with all the other crap around here (wheel, desk, etc) as my cockpit. I might try sitting slightly to the right of the monitor and see if it feels more realistic...

That made me laugh
My absolute favorite is cockpit view on the little Kart (whatever the name of it is). I drive cockpit mode on everything, sometimes I use the virtual mirror though depending on the car.
Cockpit. I'll never consider any other method.
cockpit with steering wheel and driver arms off
Quote from whitey6272 :EDIT* and Thorvertonian where in Devon do you live mate? i live in A village called kingskerswell between Newton Abbot and Torquay small world

P.s are you also part of Simfia.com..?

I live in a small village near Exeter...

I am not officially part of SimFIA.com, but am part of the new F1 season and chat with the owners frequently.....
Cockpit. I understand the virtues of some other views, and why they can be considered more realistic, but I'll never understand why LFS lets someone drive a RHD or LHD car from a central view, or why LFS lets people see exactly where their tyres are placed on the road surface. To me, as long as the "camera" is placed along a fore to aft line which runs through the drivers head or body, and things are only removed from sight not added (like the wheels are in wheels view), then that view can be considered more or less realistic.
Sinbad, like I mentioned earlier about sitting off to the side... this would still be realistic yes? Just without the stupid 'stuffing up every corner' business that having what feels like an artificially offset view causes for me.
When I drive my 'real' car I guess I tend to reference everything from the centre, I don't find this possible in LFS if the view is offset.
#15 - Gunn
Quote from sinbad :Cockpit. I understand the virtues of some other views, and why they can be considered more realistic, but I'll never understand why LFS lets someone drive a RHD or LHD car from a central view, or why LFS lets people see exactly where their tyres are placed on the road surface. To me, as long as the "camera" is placed along a fore to aft line which runs through the drivers head or body, and things are only removed from sight not added (like the wheels are in wheels view), then that view can be considered more or less realistic.

+1 from me.
Quote from SKurjz :cockpit with steering wheel and driver arms off

Same here. Four arms and two steering wheels just don't feel right.
i use my own modified view of the hood/bonnet
wow...like i thought, nobody uses the 3rd view.
damn, i know this is probably a mistake, but i never fancy driving with the cockpit (alwais messing around) and i never liked the wheels view.

i tryed for a few hours a wheel instead of the keyboard (i'm a kb), and i realize that using a wheel, the cockipit view is the best choice.

Till then, 3dr view for me.
Quote from whitey6272 :...but i find its easier to use the Wheel view (bonnet?) as you can watch your wheels clip the apex perfectly etc, were as with cockpit its almost a guess as you cant actually see your what your wheels are doing...

If you are looking at your wheels as they clip the apex, then you are looking way wrong. Look way up ahead on the track as far as you can see. You will get there better and faster. You are focused too early if you are looking at your wheels. What happens when there's a spin up ahead? I have plenty of time by looking up ahead.

This topic has been pounded and argued to death. I have explained where you should be looking in all of them, therefore disproving that it's faster to see where your wheels are to hit the perfect line. Can you see your wheels in a real car? If you rode a motorcycle, you would learn this very quickly. Always look where you WANT to go, not where you are!!!!

I use cockpit view with 60% FOV, BTW.
Cockpit is the only view to use. It's a Sim we're playing and immersion is all part of the Sim experience, any other view just seems wrong.
I love these 'my way is right, realistic, hardcore, sim enthusiast champ of the world' discussions...
Cockpit, there isn't any other way for me.
Modified cockpit view, with arms and steering wheel turned on. I don't know why, but I like the view, I don't see my own steering wheel (it's pretty, too low actually but I have nothing to raise it with), so it still feels natural. I don't use the wheels view, because I simply can't drive it. I don't use "bumper" cam in any other game, sim, whatever. Some people say it gives them more view and they know better where their car is... with me it's the other way around.
#24 - Gunn
At first cockpit view might seem restrictive, but just like driving a variety of real cars there is a short learning curve to define the extremeities of each car.
Once you have the limits worked out the rest is second nature and you will be enjoying in-car action in real time from the cockpit.
Just keep practicing, you'll be kissing those apexes and clipping points with ease in no time flat from cockpit view.
#25 - axus
Cockpit view in all cars. BF1, I use a custom view, still in the cockpit but 5cm higher than the default cockpit view so I can actually see the road. The steering wheel adjustments for cars like brake bias and ARB settings don't work on custom view though - would be nice to have this added in the next patch.

What view do you use?
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG