The online racing simulator
Xf Gti. Help needed.
(16 posts, started )
Xf Gti. Help needed.
Hi Guys.

I switched over from using a keyboard to using a wheel. But i have 1 problem with my setup now.
For some reason i have to brake a lot earlier due to my wheels locking up as soon as i enter the turn.
So what it means is i can brake hard in a straight line without locking my wheels but as soon as i touch the steering wheel while braking i lock my wheels up.

Any suggestions what i can change on my car setup or pedal setup to avoid this?

Regards
Hugo
Actually I too have the same problem with any car, as I too have started practicing wheel recently

1) I have problem even while breaking straight. I think it is because, with kb, u can break dead straight, but with wheel I might be unconsciously holding the wheel at a small angle thinking the car is straight, in my case, my wheel is non-FFB, so even though it has a tension band to self center, the center is a bit vague.

2) Coming to your problem that is break lock on slight turn, I think it is because, when we use Ks, our limit multiplier takes care of not steering beyond the set grip limit, but with steering we have to do it ourselves, so I think until we get good control of the wheel, such things might happen.

3) One more question, do you expert guys use the principle of straight on to the brakes immediately after throttle, or do you lift off, coast for say half a second to stablised before breaking?

But having said that, I too would like to know suggestions from expert wheel users for overcoming these problems.
#3 - pipa
On a straight both the right and left tire have the same amount of weight resting on them, so they both have the same friction and break equally.

When you enter a corner the weight shifts to the wheel that is on the outside of the corner, so that wheel has more friction than it had on the straight and the inside wheel has less friction than on the straights.
-> If you apply the same braking force the inside wheel will lock up, to counter this go gradually off the brake when entering a corner.

The occasional lock up happens to all of us without ABS though .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMem5u-bEJ4
Thanks, Yes of course it does, but with Kb we hardly have this problem due to the limit multiplier hence we are surprised using wheel I guess Yes, I guess we have to bleed off the brakes as we try to turn in. In KB its all black and white, gotta get used to the grey analogue world
Quote from pipa :On a straight both the right and left tire have the same amount of weight resting on them, so they both have the same friction and break equally.

When you enter a corner the weight shifts to the wheel that is on the outside of the corner, so that wheel has more friction than it had on the straight and the inside wheel has less friction than on the straights.
-> If you apply the same braking force the inside wheel will lock up, to counter this go gradually off the brake when entering a corner.

The occasional lock up happens to all of us without ABS though .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMem5u-bEJ4

Hi pipa.
I understand that you can't apply the same amount of force in a corner as to when in a straight line.

I played a little bit with tyre pressures, camber and maximum braking force.... None of which actually helped to a point where i could notice a difference.

My problem is quite severe actually at this moment. Some guys on the servers were actually asking me what the hell is going on as i brake way to early and that i throw their pace of behind me as well.

Like i said, i have to complete all my braking before i enter the corner. I can't even apply 20% of my braking power in a corner... Then the wheels just lock up and i skid into a horrible understeer.

So obviously my car is not balanced correctly for using a wheel.

Any help is much appreciated..
Are you using some special KB set? If so can you try any good wheel set and try again?
Quote from rageshgr :Thanks, Yes of course it does, but with Kb we hardly have this problem due to the limit multiplier hence we are surprised using wheel I guess Yes, I guess we have to bleed off the brakes as we try to turn in. In KB its all black and white, gotta get used to the grey analogue world

Yes of course it will take time to get used it.

But i have used a wheel in the past, like say 2 years ago and i didn't have this problem this severely. I mean i could do 1:33's on blackwood back then, now i only make 1:35's if i'm having a good lap. So my point being, i have been a lot faster with a wheel before, i just don't know what i need to adjust on my car setup or wheel setup to get back into that times.
Quote from rageshgr :Are you using some special KB set? If so can you try any good wheel set and try again?

That's a good point you have.
I'm currently using a set i got off someone from a server (changed a few small setings though), but i have reason to believe that he might have been a kb/mouse driver..

I'll see if i can find a few other setups from different guys with wheels and see if i'm experiencing the same problem with that as well.

What setup do you use? Your own custom one?
You sure everything is calibrated right? Might be that even if you push brakes to like 5% it goes to 100% nonetheless. Try recalibrating everything. For example my throttle acts a bit like this. When I press it to 80% its flat out, but that's for my own purpose.
I changed my wheel turn to 600 degrees and that seemed to helped me a lot. Not actually sure what this does but the steering wheel feels much better that way.
Not in the lap times yet where i used to be, but i suppose i just need more practise with the wheel now as i'm constantly running 1:34 and low 1:35's now.

Thanks for the help guys.
Cool, good to know
Quote from rageshgr :.

Looks like someone is on the road for most helpful forum personality of the year. Keep it up
Assuming it was not sarcasm, thank you Paws . I know how difficult it is for beginners in LFS (in this case, he is a re-beginner with wheel), well I still am one, but I try to share whatever 2-3% knowledge I gained in these past 7-8 months driving LFS and reading these forums, in case it helps anyone
-
(HarryGillman) DELETED by HarryGillman : mindless drivle
He he, though you deleted, I read it in my mail LOL
Quote from TehPaws3D :Looks like someone is on the road for most helpful forum personality of the year. Keep it up

He has competitor: Silverracer.
IND and SL ftw! Man Silver made a captioned gif to explain some steps, wow

Xf Gti. Help needed.
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG