The online racing simulator
Electric cars in LFS?
(224 posts, started )
Electric cars in LFS?
Hi.

Considering electric cars are the future, and smelly, air polluting, roaring and inefficient petrol cars will die out in couple of decades..
are there any plans to implement electric cars in LFS?
Disable car engine sound in SHIFT+A and there u go. A nice humm and zumm :3
Quote from hazaky :Disable car engine sound in SHIFT+A and there u go. A nice humm and zumm :3

Yeah but it still is inefficient, and still has torque limitations.

Edit: http://raceabout.fi/era/ - this could be a good candidate me thinks.
1700kg,operational range 200km... Doesn't sound too racy for me...

Ethanol is the key word - used quite a lot in motorsports these days,at least in other side of the Atlantic.
Quote from Eclipsed :1700kg,operational range 200km... Doesn't sound too racy for me...

Still, it's fastest road-legal electric car to have been ever driven on Nurburgring, and 200 km (which is 40 laps on Nurburgring, btw) could be extended by making the battery-pack swappable by pitstop team.

Ethanol engines, like petrol ones, have torque limitations. :3
Quote from E.Reiljans :Ethanol engines, like petrol ones, have torque limitations. :3

That's what gearbox is for. Also it's not like electric motors have unlimited torque, it's significantly higher, but it's nothing particularly cool. Higher torque means the need for stronger(read more expensive) drivetrain, I don't see how this is a win. We won't have enough electricity to power these cars anyway with the plans to shut down nuclear power plants emerging all over the world.
#7 - Sobis
Quote from Eclipsed :1700kg,operational range 200km... Doesn't sound too racy for me...

Ethanol is the key word - used quite a lot in motorsports these days,at least in other side of the Atlantic.

"Fast charging capability (10mins @ 250 kW)"

As you see, you need only 10 mins to charge 'em up, so as Ernests mentioned, the pit crew could charge them while racing and in pitstop they would replace the batteries.
Quote :BATTERIES:
Litium-Titanate cells Capacity 32kWh

Quote :For the complete record lap E-RA consumed 25,6 kWh

550kg battery swap after each 9 minutes lap? Sounds like the physically strongest pitcrew in world... Ok,in shorter tracks and in some energy saving mode the car would do 20+ minutes in one stint,still way too less to be competitive yet. Batteries is still the weak point for electrical cars,need really a huge breakpoint in their delevopement to see electric cars racing seriosly.
Lol let games be games, even if they do change the rules in real life, let the games simulate beeing a polutive pig racing good 'ol vechicles
Quote from MadCatX :We won't have enough electricity to power these cars anyway with the plans to shut down nuclear power plants emerging all over the world.

It's not like oil supplies inside our planet is renewable, either.
Quote from The Very End :let the games simulate beeing a polutive pig racing good 'ol vechicles

This and impossibility to kill ourselves is the reason,why we can continue in virtual racing (since in real world it's stoped due environment and safety reasons) aim for higher standarts - faster and more powerful cars!
Quote from E.Reiljans :It's not like oil supplies inside our planet is renewable, either.

Both you and I will be long gone before the future generations will run out of oil.

If the can't manage to release a car for the past two or three years then this still remains as a dream and I'm pretty sure it will for a long long time.
#13 - Zay
even if its not good for racing, Id like to see an electric car in lfs. You wont loose anything...
Quote from E.Reiljans :Hi.

Considering electric cars are the future, and smelly, air polluting, roaring and inefficient petrol cars will die out in couple of decades..

I agree let's eveyone be vegans and live in trees.
We know of more oil today than we've ever known about.

Battery cars are worse for the environment.

Use LFSTweak to give the torque curve you want, then turn off your speakers. Turn off your computer every 17 minutes for a few hours to simulate more.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Hi.

face palm sorry. lawl at tristan
Quote from tristancliffe :we know of more oil today than we've ever known about.

Battery cars are worse for the environment.

Use lfstweak to give the torque curve you want, then turn off your speakers. turn off your computer every 17 minutes for a few hours to simulate more.

ahah ^^
Quote from tristancliffe :Turn off your computer every 17 minutes for a few hours to simulate more.

That's very funny, considering Lithium-Iron-Phosphate batteries can be charged at 4C completely safely.
Quote from ATHome :And you could already hear it's running out of juice at the end of the lap.

What's so funny about that? The fact Toyota's engineers didn't added unneeded weight to car by installing more than needed battery packs?
Electric cars
Quote :Considering electric cars are the future, and smelly, air polluting, roaring and inefficient petrol cars

Who told you Electric cars are efficient and less polluting?

Currently a typical petrol engine is around 35% efficient, a Diesel around 45% and an electric engine about 20%. That includes the transportation and refining of the fuel and generating and distribution of the electricity.

What an Electric engine does is produce more pollutants but just moves them from the car to the areas where the electrcity is generated.

Bear in mind also, most of the Electricity is generated from burning fosil fuels and there are considerable losses in transmitting that power via the national grid.

Also currently most electric cars are much heavier than petrol or diesel cars and therefore less efficient.

And then there's the issue of the large amounts of energy used in producing the batteries plus the potentially toxic disposal or energy required to recycle the materials.

The only way you are going to make Electric engines produce less pollution is to make sure all the electricity is produced in Nuclear power stations. And in order to replace the current number of fuel based cars with electric cars you'd have to at least triple the number of Nuclear power stations that we currently have. And that won't go down too well with the anti-nuclear crowd.
No.

Electric cars aren't cars. They are machines for people who think "oh my gawd this planet is dying and it's my fault and I can save it by driving in the most unfun and unsexy way anyone could every imagine"
Quote from JackSun :tl;dr

Electric engines are 80+% efficient.

Also, electricity MAINLY is produced from atomic plants, partially also from hydroelectric, solar and wind ones. All except atomic ones are renewable, and atomic ones are very efficient.

Stefani24: that's what people were saying 100 years ago about petrol cars, while driving their steam engined ones.

Electric cars in LFS?
(224 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG