Thank you = kiitos
Bye = moi
You're hot = saletisti hottis
I have a girlfiend already so back off = mulla on jo hoito, joten suksi kuuseen
Where's the toilet? = missä on vessa?
I'm hungry = nyt kebabille
You have beautyful eyes = sulla on hyvät tissit

That'll get you through fine.

when you guys say bye (moi) i can imagine it looks as though your all gay photographers Mwah darling Mwah see you soon
Quote from thisnameistaken :

*Moves to Finland to open a bank called "Hankki"*

haha
Quote from Blackout :Yeah, the megapussi flavor illepall

Does this taste a bit like fish ???
thx for the virtual tour of helsinki Kompa! sounds interesting!
as for "languages tips" i think i might just get to see my councelor at my Uni to get some info!! i dunno why but i dont really trust you anymore spankmeyer !
LOL whitey , kinda true !!

Enjoy the beer Kompa and shhhhhhhhhhh !!

MOI
haha, drank 16 beers but that doesn't stop me from posting!

As you don't need tips to attract women, here's the two common things you hear:

What's the time? = Paljonko kello (on)?
Where's the nearest cheap pint? = missä on halvin tuoppi?

I'm a bit out of imagination here but I'll post more later perhaps, if I remember.

I think you'll manage.

PS. Finnish language is easy in the way that you can pronounce it JUST like it is in text. Just try to mumble it as the way it's written, you'll be understood
#31 - MR_B
I've never understood the whole mumbling thing....

What's crime like over there? It's a main priority of mine to be safe...
Ever since I was little I pictured myself living in finland...
Quote :Ever since I was little I pictured myself living in finland...

Wow, why Finland?

Crime happens but it's pretty much something you won't even notice if you keep yourself away from the obvious threats...Don't go to parks drinking beer alone at nights etc. 1st thing that pops into mind are the gangs formed by refugees of various nationalities who mug ppl and steal anything that's of some value. In large groups they rule the night full of drunken ppl who can't look after them selves. I have never had any problems and if I had I really couldn't blame but myself.

Finland is pretty safe IMO.
Glad to hear it!
i also heard that alcohol is very expensive is Finland, is that true? if so, ill bring some with me (hahah im so cheap!)
looking forward to reading your language tips !
You can buy the several times internationally competition winning Koff beer for 17,90€ for a 24-pack, as I did today, yesterday and the day before

I'm a proper finnish drunk, when I'm not drinking I play LFS.

I'll post some language tips when I get my head a bit sober.

edit: beer can be cheaper still but it's gonna change with the new 'legislation' of not being allowed to sell beer cheaper as the more you buy. Hope you get the point, hard for me to put that in english
#35 - Ziil
Quote from BuddY ChRisT :Glad to hear it!
i also heard that alcohol is very expensive is Finland, is that true? if so, ill bring some with me (hahah im so cheap!)
looking forward to reading your language tips !

Whenever you feel the alcohol costs too much in Finland then you can just hop on a ferrry and come to Estonia for some cheap cheap alcohol and then hop back
Quote from Ziil :Whenever you feel the alcohol costs too much in Finland then you can just hop on a ferrry and come to Estonia for some cheap cheap alcohol and then hop back

That worked really good until the changes in the finnish system. I love Tallinn for all the other stuff it offers, the old city is really something to visit.
well looks like i allready i 1st trip abroad planned !!! im not really into alcohol that much so it doesnt bother me but i might bring home a little collection of finnish and estonian vodka for the friends !!
#38 - MR_B
Quote from kompa :Wow, why Finland?

Well I think it's because the UK is so built up, especially down in the south east where i am. Parks turn into roads, houses built on school fields, churches being demolished for property development. (I'm not religious mind you, I just like their design)

I just want to get away from that corporate destruction, I'm no hippy, I just hate these faceless business men and their property development of cheap, crappy housing.

Plus I hate the heat, so it's an obvious choice
Gotta say one thing. Finnish people don't do smalltalk. At all. The minimalism of gestures but maximalism of their meaning in silent communication is an artform in here.

The words are pronounced as they're written, but the letters are still pronounced differently than in English (for example). That's why it's hard for foreigners to pronounce Finnish properly (or for the Finnish politicians to pronouce English...)
ok so i guess i just have to wait a few month to hear it from myself and see if i am any good at Finnish !! ill send ya some recordings of me speaking Finnish when i get back !!
http://donnerwetter.kielikesku ... oreigners/parts-index.htm

That's the best site I've come across when it comes to foreigners wanting to learn the Finnish language a bit.

Don't stress too much about moving here. Your school will most likely provide info about everyday things, there'll be people to tutor you etc. You'll end up grouping with a few of your classmates and spending your time with them.

Younger Finns understand English pretty well, so if you have something to ask (during daytime ), don't hesitate. I don't live in Helsinki myself, but I'd expect it to be a relatively safe city even by night.

You'll live through a cultural shock, no doubt about it.
thx Huru!
well im looking forward to moving there, and im not scared nor stressed, i have already been on an exchange trip when i was 17; it was in the US and for a full year, great great year and my mind is full of memories, i expect the same from this trip !!
i just hope i could be able to have a connection and keep on playing LFS while being abrouad!

I hope this do not scare you enough and cancel your trip to here... lol But I really did took that pic yesterday in the afternoon. It just happened to snow a little. It was just a short squall of rain and it melted immediately. Day was pretty cold, something 5 °C so the rain turned out to be wet snow / sleet. It's actually pretty normal to happen once in a while even for May as I live about 600 km to north from Helsinki. In here Northern Finland the summer comes a bit more later than in the Southern Finland. Last week weather was near 20 °C so don't worry.
hahahahahahahaha !!!
ya know it doesnt really scare me much as i remember one year it did snow in paris on the 14th of july !!!!!!
ooooo and by the way thx for the site Huru, i think its gonna be very helpful !!
Haha deggis, we only got hails few days ago over here at the west coast. I actually just checked the thermometer and it's -3 celsius outside.. illepall
#46 - MR_B
Wow snow in may! that's great, I can't get enough of the stuff... It was in the 40's last summer in the uk which sucked majorly...

Is there any such thing as a community over there? i.e. neighbours all seem to get on, etc. ?

random question I know, but hey! I'm curious.

Moving to Finland next spring
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG