The online racing simulator
I raced Liuzzi and Doornbos :)
(15 posts, started )
As a few of you would have seen in one of the other threads, I was in Cardiff on Monday as I got to the grand final of the Red Bull Track Attack. 13 of us made it through and got to race against the two drivers round a street circuit they set up in the bay area. There were some crazy accidents, and Myleene Klass (ex Hear'Say/PopStars winner) who was driving the same kart as me in the celebrity race crashed and injured her foot! I got caught in a few bad ones too with people trying silly overtaking maneuvers, but I managed to bring my rather bent kart home in 4th in the final of the day (and most importantly ahead of Doornbos who crashed out on lap 7 of 10! LOL).

Liuzzi raced in the two preceding heats, but after crashing into a barrier in Heat 2 he decided to call it a day as he was still injured from last weeks crash at Silverstone testing :

Overall it was a fantastic experience, and I hope to continue competing for my University at the moment and will then do some Caterham racing once I finish. Sadly I don't have the money to become and F1 driver, but it's comforting to know they're not untouchable :P My fastest lap in the final was only .3 of s second off Doornbos even though my kart was totally wrecked and I kept on Liuzzis tail during heat 1 until the session was red flagged! LOL.

Here are some pictures from the day:

My kart - before it got bent

Waiting for a bit of PR stuff

Chatting to my lovely grid girl

Photo op with DC

Trying a move (I'm no 8) on the eventual winner (an ex professional who was racing in an amateur karting competion!)

Louise Goodman talking to Shane Lynch (ex Boyzone!)

The three F1 drivers

Christian Klien (who raced the celebs)

Tonio Liuzzi (who raced us)

Rob Doornbos (also raced us)

An example of some of the damage!
Well done!!

im so jealous............lol

Meant to say...you can watch it on ITV1 on June 3rd at 11:30am :P There's a picture of me racing in the new Autosport too
Quote from ArosaMike :There's a picture of me racing in the new Autosport too

Where, I can't find it (after two flick throughs).

Anyway, congrats on a great day out with the stars. Is Doorknob as ugly in real life as he is in photos?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
it was so obvious hobzie was going to win, he was MBKC MAX champ like 2 years ago :S still very much invloved in the karting world, i bought an intrepid off him only a few months ago...

where did u finnish man?
Yeah....he knew everyone who was organising the event! LOL It's shame for Red Bull in a way because it was being hailed as an amateur event, but then it's their own fault for not being more stringent on the entry limitations I guess it's fairly unusual that a really good karter doesn't renew his license, although from what I've heard Hobzie lost his for punching someone!

I finished 4th in the end. A bit of a shame I wasn't on the podium, but still very pleased. It was very much a test of skills as the track was so dangerous. As soon as someone crashed, it pretty much took the rest of us out! I'd caught the leaders by the last lap, but there was quite a gap between myself, the guy who eventually finished 3rd (due to Doornbos' crash) and the top two as we all got held up by one bloke for a couple of laps.

Haven't got a bad word to say about Doornbos. Spoke to him for a fair bit and he seemed really genuine. It was only his second time in a kart! LOL Liuzzi was a friendly bloke too, although you get the feeling he struggles to think of the right words sometimes! He was still hurting from his crash too. Hit the barriers at 160mph after bottoming out in the middle of Becketts!
Is Christain Klien 3 feet tall, or has that woman just climbed down from a beanstalk ??
He's tiny! LOL
hey mike, i remember u posting on the karting forum that u came 4th
Yeah. Posted there yesterday or Tuesday I think...can't remember
ooooh, me jealous!

looks like fun, and im glad you showed them what LFS racers are like
This is great and all...

but couldn't you have stuck at least one LFS-sticker on that kart?!

Nice cart!
Quote from bobvanvliet :This is great and all...

but couldn't you have stuck at least one LFS-sticker on that kart?!

Wasn't mine to stick things on
Eh I am so jealous too. Good that you had great time.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG