The online racing simulator
#1 - jnr89
so many intel sockets, wich one is the best?
ok here I go, my current PC is kinda dead, and is already old (2008) im trying to get a new PC that could make me enjoy for the next 4 or 5 years

my first target is the processor, changing from an ancient intel dual core e2200 @ 2.2ghz, and moving to a somewhat intel i7 @ 3ghz+...

thing is, I have been always around 2.xx ghz processors, and I want for the first time in my life get to some 3ghz power....

Im looking for video editing and capturing video footage from lfs is for me one of the hardest task to do, due to low fps rates and the lack of processing power in the CPU..

so, looking and asking, one of my friends suggest me to get a 1156 i7 processor, somewhat @ 2.7 ghz, he told me "is not all about ghz, is about how the cpu uses them"... ok but...
after several minutes of WIKIPEding (wikipedia) i read so many differences between motherboards sockets, and processors that im stuck now

I already said my target with the processor, now I dont know wich motherboard to use, im interested in one motherboard that offers me at least 10 gb of ram DDR3 (to upgrade it with the time) and more than 2 memory ram slots, i hate to get just 2 memory ram slots

and that is, I dont have a clue about wich video card to choose but with my limited budget, my plan is get the computer part by part and complete it before the end of this year..

help me please im searching on amazon.com and im not living at USA, and in my country the prices of every computer part is more expensive than USA, so my GF is travelling next week there and i want to take this chance to buy the processor or the motherboard, what you suggest me?

I dont have a clue about sockets 1155 or 1156 or 1133, dont know wich one would be the best for me, I dont have a clue please help
Number and placement of CPU socket pins is partly enforced by CPU's circuitry design and partly product of manufacturers' marketing. It has no effect on CPU performance whatsoever. Here's a quick Intel sockets guide:

S 1366: First socket the iX CPUs had. Only used by hi-end Core i7 9xx CPUs
S 1156: A newer socket used by wide variety of Intel CPUs from low-end Pentium Dual-Core, i3 to mid-range i7 8xx
S 1155: Socket used mainly by new Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Pick a CPU you want and get a MB that has a compatible socket, it's as simple as that
#3 - Be2K
I bought a new PC last month.

Dont get an i7 CPU its useless if you only do gaming with it.
The main differences between the i5 and i7 is that the i7 got "Hyperthreading" -> means Multitasking and a higher price.
When you mainly playing with your PC u dont need Hyperthreading so you can save the 20-40€ and buy an i5.

A good Motherboard is the Asus P8H67 H67 Sockel 1155 ATX Rev3 the 1155 is the newest Socket from Intel.
#4 - jnr89
1366 is the best? I mean looking to the future? I need multitasking and i need real power, im looking for 100 fps with full grid races
LGA1366 is pretty much dead, LGA2011 is the next high-end socket which will be released towards the end of this year.
#6 - jnr89
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :LGA1366 is pretty much dead, LGA2011 is the next high-end socket which will be released towards the end of this year.

wait a second man, what if I get for example...THIS processor, wich i like very VERY much, it REALLY fits my budget and my performance range target (3.2ghz!)

so, I couldnt use it with the LGA 2011?

come on! Im almost sticking with the 1366, i dont think i would need moar power that a fully upgraded motherboard with this kind of processor!! im so excited!!

im going to send my old e2200 right to the toilet!!!

its me or intel is just crazy launching so many sockets :S

edit:

what the hell? if i get the i7 960, should i regret something against the core i5 680 or 750 models??
That's a great chip, but it will be blown away by a 2600K that's only slight more expensive, but much better equipped for what you want to do with things like QuickSync. I'll tell you right now, I'm using a i3-2100T Sandy Bridge, and I'm encoding 720p video down to 360p (1 hour long footage) in 20 minutes using the default settings in HandBrake. And that's the lowest end chip!
It's a bit off topic but if you're looking for the best encoding performance, make sure you're using a good encoder. C2D T9550 (2.66 GHz) in my laptop can virtually beat the shit out my friend's OCed E6750 (3.1 GHz) just because I use a highly optimized build of Avidemux.
Pick a CPU that meets your demands and fits into your budget and don't care about the socket. Chances are that newet CPUs will require newer chipsets so you won't be able to upgrade it anyway even if it had the same socket. Build yourself a PC for today, not for tommorow. Technology advances so fast nowadays that this approach is getting more and more useless.
You have a point, I was thinking of an Ivy Bridge upgrade path for after the i3-2100, but then I would also want to upgrade my motherboard as it's a H67, that's not very helpful for overclocking.
Quote from MadCatX :Build yourself a PC for today, not for tommorow. Technology advances so fast nowadays that this approach is getting more and more useless.

i was under the impression that we hit an impasse, hardware-wise... i mean, isn't that why they started making the I series, and adding more cores?
Quote from bunder9999 :i was under the impression that we hit an impasse, hardware-wise... i mean, isn't that why they started making the I series, and adding more cores?

Yeah, everyone was up in arms about Moore's Law being broken, because it was no longer about GHz, as Intel said it. Coming from Intel that was something as it was Moore was the co-founder of Intel. Then it became a balancing act, of both getting more information processed, get the GHz right, and adding cores to make sure that performance doubles every two years. We continue to hit these milestones, but it is a wonder for how long we can keep it up.
Quote from Dygear :Yeah, everyone was up in arms about Moore's Law being broken, because it was no longer about GHz, as Intel said it.

Moore's law concerns transistor count, not clock speed. It is still accurate and being adhered to (within reasonable bounds).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG