The online racing simulator
Kerbal Space Program
(79 posts, started )
Kerbal Space Program
A nice little game that is: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

My record flight in the Deep Space Penetrator, climaxing at 719 kilometers above the Kerbal home planet.

I like it, but it's so unfinished :P
It was fun playing with for maybe half an hour.
How the hell do you get new bits? I can't find a research option. I hate being a noob.
You can't research anything.. You can mod it tho :P
I can't even keep the ship stable once I go above a few solid rockets
this is epic.
There's still atmosphere 400 km above the planet What the hell.

By the way, that height was achieved with this.
Attached images
rocket.PNG
I am over 999000 meters

then it goes over to Km..

oh dear.

I could probably run it for 2000 seconds to make it go to 3000 km, but that takes a bit too long.

SPOILER: at 1485KM, the earth disappears after being deformed

also, no restaurant found yet
1500k and climbing on my latest attempt, I will post a picture of my rocket once I complete the flight, might be a while since I still have 1700m/s on the clock.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that Bill and Bob (left and right pilots) always seem unhappy?

EDIT EDIT: 2500k now, still at 1400m/s. Thought I would remind people to put SAS systems in key locations and hold F, otherwise it's near impossible to control larger rockets.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :1500k and climbing on my latest attempt, I will post a picture of my rocket once I complete the flight, might be a while since I still have 1700m/s on the clock.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that Bill and Bob (left and right pilots) always seem unhappy?

EDIT EDIT: 2500k now, still at 1400m/s. Thought I would remind people to put SAS systems in key locations and hold F, otherwise it's near impossible to control larger rockets.

press T once.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :press T once.

Thanks, should make these flights a bit easier. I just have it running in the background at the moment, my current flight is now at 5700k and has been going for 1hr13mins.

Left my flight going for over 7 hours and it was still going strong. This is my rocket...
Attached images
rocket.jpg
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Thanks, should make these flights a bit easier. I just have it running in the background at the moment, my current flight is now at 5700k and has been going for 1hr13mins.

Left my flight going for over 7 hours and it was still going strong. This is my rocket...

5500K at 43 minutes.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :5500K at 43 minutes.

That's the challenge now, get there as fast as possible. I topped out at nearly 3000m/s and I think I was at something like 9000k when I eventually just ended the flight. I might tweak the design to see if I can get more rocket stages to activate when I'm clear of the atmosphere.
Tried it.. couldnt keep the rocket going in a straight line. Have to work on the rocket itself I think..
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :That's the challenge now, get there as fast as possible. I topped out at nearly 3000m/s and I think I was at something like 9000k when I eventually just ended the flight. I might tweak the design to see if I can get more rocket stages to activate when I'm clear of the atmosphere.

Who's at 1000K first?
That's an acceptable distance, I think.

Quote from Vinnylegends :Tried it.. couldnt keep the rocket going in a straight line. Have to work on the rocket itself I think..

Slap on lots of S.A.S. modules and you'll be fine
Will try that!
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Who's at 1000K first?

Yeh, I did it in about 8 minutes just now, but I want another crack at it. At the moment I'm seeing if I can orbit the planet.
8:38!

E: 8:14
What does your rocket look like? Might have to try a redesign on mine.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :What does your rocket look like? Might have to try a redesign on mine.

I started with
chute, pod, s.a.s, decoupler, 2x fuel tank, liquid engine, decoupler, tricoupler, then underneath each 2 fuel tanks and a liquid engine.

From that on I slapped on solid engines and extra s.a.s units, which made thing go slightly faster, but it's good to start with.
I'll give this a go.

I'm thinking though, surely simple rockets would be the best? Like.Blakje's seems okay to me but the way I drew it it'd need more control.
I got 9 minutes flat, but with a very unstable rocket.
This planet is insanely dense, we're talking almost star level density. It seems like it's 600 km in radius and it weighs 5.29 x 10^22 kg, so the density is 58 g/cm^3 compared to the Earth with about 5 g/cm^3.

Which is why it's so hard to escape the gravitational pull.. Actually escape velocity at 100 km is ~3 km/s. Well, on Earth it's 11 km/s
#24 - JJ72
Nerdgasm! Will try this on weekend!
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Who's at 1000K first?

Slap on lots of S.A.S. modules and you'll be fine

Thanks alot for the tip, it worked! Now I can build some stupidly insane rockets...

Kerbal Space Program
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG