The online racing simulator
Important improvements for AI
(18 posts, started )
I've had LFS for almost two years now, and since I am going to continue to se it in the future, I would just like to give some ideas for the improvement of the AI's. There are a few major issues with the AI's that need a bit of attention

1-Whenever you go close enough to side of any of them, they will for some reason slow down dramatically, making it too easy and un-realistic when overtaking.

2-I can hardly remember any time when an AI has overtaken either me or another AI. they are to 'robotic' and afraid to overtake or defend, e.g., ive noticed by watching replays that on long straits, when an AI is slipstreaming another car and has a speed advantage of around 4-5kph, it will keep dabbing the brakes instead of overtaking the car infront or moving to the inside to overtake on the next corner.

3-With most cars on most tracks, the 'Pro' difficulty is just too easy, sometimes I can start in around 6th-8th in a three lap race and still finish a comfortable first. A really good improvement idea for this would be if you could pre-set certain lap time(s) for the AI's to drive either at or around.

4-Something that really annoys me is how the AI's only do about 2 or 3 laps of qualifying and then go into the pit and stay there, no matter how long the qualifying session is. It just about ruins the point of qualifying because it is then too easy.

Lastly-The AI's can sometimes be stupid and rude. It's as though they don't even know that you exist. Whenever i try to overtake them, they just turn into me, or if I brake a bit early they just ram into the back of me instead of overtaking.

I think that if you could fix just atleast a couple of these issues, the quality and ratings of the game will go up immensley

Cheers
Quote from MIKE333ACE :
Lastly-The AI's can sometimes be stupid and rude. It's as though they don't even know that you exist. Whenever i try to overtake them, they just turn into me, or if I brake a bit early they just ram into the back of me instead of overtaking.

They are only programmed to follow the AI racing line (press 4 to make green line appear on track), so if you're on their "line", then they hit you.

This isn't the line most racers will follow (especially noticable on the tracks where you climb onto the curbs), but of course, in the corners there will be a crossover between racers racing line and AI racing line. That's usually where the contact comes from.
Yeah, i know, i just hope that the lfs developers will fix that though, and make it so that their racing line is adjustable depending on the position of other cars
AIs have been like that since 0.5Y release in December 2008. Before that they had a much more interresting and unpredictable behaviour(like, they could actually pass other cars). Problem is, they were awfully slow(like, 8 or 9 seconds behind human WRs). The 0.5Y patch partly fixed this, but sadly in a way that they are totally fixed on a single racing line, and therefore nowadays are as you described them.

I guess it is in the devs' plans to fix them for good one day, but definitely not in their priorities.
I hope it's in their plans, but it should be in their priorities
Another thing is that on ky oval they stick to one speed only
Quote from MIKE333ACE :With most cars on most tracks....

Wait, what?
Call me whatever you want, but this guy is a demoer...
Quote from matijapkc :Wait, what?
Call me whatever you want, but this guy is a demoer...

See:
Quote from MIKE333ACE :I've had LFS for almost two years now

And then compare with join date. Presumably the other, older account is licenced.

MIKE333ACE, we generally prefer that users post with their licenced account, if they have one.
#9 - Zay
Quote from MIKE333ACE :I hope it's in their plans, but it should be in their priorities

No, it shouldnt. Sure, it would be nice to have better AI, but this is an online racing sim-meaning that it is focused on online racing, so the devs should focus more on multiplayer then single player.
Quote from MIKE333ACE :

4-Something that really annoys me is how the AI's only do about 2 or 3 laps of qualifying and then go into the pit and stay there, no matter how long the qualifying session is. It just about ruins the point of qualifying because it is then too easy.

Write /pit_all and they don't stay there.
Quote from MIKE333ACE :I hope it's in their plans, but it should be in their priorities

I think it's important to the devs that the AI is reasonably playable, because there are people who want to race against the AI. But then again there is always a larger percentage of players who play against human players and since there is only one developer only one thing can be improved at once.
The problem with LFS AIs is that they are using exactly the same physics engine as we are. This is a very bold approach from Scawen, because if he wants them to be competitive he has to design them as truly intelligent. He stated in the past that he has not been able to make them drive as fast as human players.
I'm not sure if he will ever be able to improve them so that they are a challenge for the fast ones.

In RF the AIs do not follow the same physics rules, that is why they can be a challenge.
Quote from Mille Sabords :The problem with LFS AIs is that they are using exactly the same physics engine as we are. This is a very bold approach from Scawen, because if he wants them to be competitive he has to design them as truly intelligent. He stated in the past that he has not been able to make them drive as fast as human players.
I'm not sure if he will ever be able to improve them so that they are a challenge for the fast ones.

In RF the AIs do not follow the same physics rules, that is why they can be a challenge.

Good point.

An interresting read on the matter: http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=99936&d=1264075885
On the Kyoto Ring the AI go mad and have massive crashes- like they can't even see each other and will have a crash that will take half of them out , but only on the Oval, and then they can't even get back off the grass when they end up on it.
Quote from Mille Sabords :The problem with LFS AIs is that they are using exactly the same physics engine as we are. This is a very bold approach from Scawen, because if he wants them to be competitive he has to design them as truly intelligent. He stated in the past that he has not been able to make them drive as fast as human players.

I agree with what you've said about RF. I think that the AIs are great on there, and that of the lfs developers could make the AI's like what they are on RF, then I would be very happy.
Quote from Bob Smith :See:

And then compare with join date. Presumably the other, older account is licenced.

MIKE333ACE, we generally prefer that users post with their licenced account, if they have one.

I havn't been able to access it, even when I reset the password, so I had to create another account
Quote from MIKE333ACE :I havn't been able to access it, even when I reset the password, so I had to create another account

£24 dissapeared...

Can be not much in £, but 3 times more in R$ (Reais, Brazilian money)...
Quote from geeman1 :...there are people who want to race against the AI. But then again there is always a larger percentage of players who play against human players.

(Sorry to quote an old post, but...)
I've always wondered what the ratio of offline to online players is. Does anyone know?

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG