The online racing simulator
Can't see skid marks thru FOX visor
I posted this in another thread but it was all the way on page 11. Just wanted to make sure the devs get to read it:

I just noticed that skid marks on the road disappear when viewed through the transparent visor on the Formula XR. Its kind of distracting. You see the skids on the road ahead, but when viewed through the visor they're not there and just show the road.
huh? Where did you get a visor, like what do you mean? If there is a Visor add-on, could you link me??
I think he means the little bit of glass at the front of the cockpit....
LOL! My bad, dont really pay any attention to that little thing
I sit down low and it's really noticible.
#6 - Gunn
Quote from joeynuggetz :I sit down low and it's really noticible.

Why sit down low? You won't see as much of the road if you are too low. If you are using a custom view and have lowered yourself down then you are probably putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.
Yeah sitting low is a lot more dangerous and will most likely make you less of a competitive opponent to others.

However you like it though, this still shows a bug that is nothing new actually. Anything that has some sort of alpha transparency in LFS never completely works as it should. At least for textures... Probably the limitations with DX8 engine.

Has it been like this before this last month's patch? FOX's cockpit was updated a bit, something might have been changed
Hey guys.
I brought this up last week in the T5 and T6 patch threads. Scawen said that he would not reply to every bug post and that all bug reports are on his to-do list.

I've only noticed this bug in the latest S-T(1-7)-U patches. But i'm sure Scawen has noted this bug and is going to fix it in the next patch.
This bug becomes pretty distracting (especially on the oval)

Thanks
#9 - Vain
Quote from alco64 : This bug becomes pretty distracting (especially on the oval)

And you should be gladful for any distraction you can get on the oval - you'd fall asleep otherwise!

Eh, yes, about the topic:
This might be caused by DX8-transparency. So LFS might need to switch to DX9 and do something fancy (=resource eating) to fix it.

Vain
You obviously don't go to the oval much :P

Try going onto a oval server with F08 or BF1s only with about 10people on there with say a 30 lap race with pit required. Plenty of close racing fun to be had there.
anyways. it's distracting coz alot of people skid a bit on the oval and if you're trying to get that prime racing line it's distracting to see rubber ahead but non in your visor and you're like 'what is going on' lol.

But it's evident in other tracks too. just not oval.
And if u drive slowly through some Pylons (Or how it is called), the moment they move, u cant see them in the visor.
Quote from Gunn :Why sit down low? You won't see as much of the road if you are too low. If you are using a custom view and have lowered yourself down then you are probably putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

The standard view in the single seaters is way too high and not very realistic in itself and thats why I sit down low! It makes it a lot more real as in most single seaters you can see sweet fa of the front of the car! The only thing is that you lose realism in not being able to 'lean' your head into the turn as in real life in order spot the clipping point and then the line out onto the following straight... so its still a compromise between a low position and lowering the lateral camera movement under g in order to give a good and enjoyable view.

It doesnt really give a competitive disadvantage at all as all the important things can still be seen... you can see a reasonable amount of the top of the wheels, still see all the way to the next corner when looking forwards and provided the fov isnt too low then no problems with still seeing clipping points etc... its just a little distracting when things start dissapearing!!
^^ What he said basically. Once you get used to sitting low there's no real advantage of sitting higher, you end up looking further ahead and just (as said above) make points to aim for and turn at, instead of watching what your driving on. In the FO8 i have lowered it enough so that you cant turn your head 180 deg and see behind you because you'll just see the car, which definently is more realistic
#14 - Gunn
Simple mathematics says that if you are sitting lower then you can not see as far nor judge distances as easily. As you sit lower there is actually more cockpit in your view and less road and scenery. So no matter how much someone likes it I can't be convinced that seeing less, and on a shallower angle, is better in any way.
It doesnt make it better BUT it doesnt make it WORSE so lowering the view makes it more realistic thats my point.... and IMO thats more fun!

If lowering the view a small amount cuts out anything you would usually look at when racing then quite simply you arent looking at the right points on the race track and could probably improve your times in that area (not that im claiming to be super fast because of it as im really not and im sure i could come up with a whole load of other excuses why not!! )
#16 - Gunn
Quote from andy_bonjon :
If lowering the view a small amount cuts out anything you would usually look at when racing then quite simply you arent looking at the right points on the race track and could probably improve your times in that area.

If you say so.
Ok, sorry maybe that sounded a bit odd, i just meant that you reach a realistic view before you stop being able to see the important things needed to race a car well.

Anyway, instead of going on about the good and bad points of a low view it is still slightly off putting for those who use it when things dissapear in front of you!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG