The online racing simulator
Meanwhile in Sweden
(36 posts, started )
Meanwhile in Sweden
I bet you could speed in Russia on a bicycle without getting fined........
Speed limits are speed limits IMO, not meanign to be the party killer here Alltho well done breaking speed limits on a bicycle haha!
It's quite possible here too, as very surprisingly, all road users, including bicyclists, have to adhere to the traffic rules...

You can also say goodbye to your driving license if you bike drunk.
#6 - Mysho
Quote from ColeusRattus :It's quite possible here too, as very surprisingly, all road users, including bicyclists, have to adhere to the traffic rules...

You can't use bicykle without driving licence in your country?
Quote from ColeusRattus :

I ride my bike drunk constantly :drunk:
Quote from Mysho :You can't use bicykle without driving licence in your country?

In soviet austria the bike rides you.

It's an offence to do that here (La Finlande ftr) too. I'm not too sure if it'll lose you your license.
Quote from Mysho :You can't use bicykle without driving licence in your country?

IIRC, officially you are not allowed to ride it on public roads (only bike lanes and sidewalk) without a licence, but nobody cares.
Quote from ACCAkut :IIRC, officially you are not allowed to ride it on public roads (only bike lanes and sidewalk) without a licence, but nobody cares.

In Germany?
In Austria you're legally allowed to ride a bicycle on the road and on bikelanes from the age of 12 onwards (10 if you take a course), provided ... you know, common sense stuff like being able to control the vehicle and not being overwhelmed by public traffic.
Quote from ColeusRattus :It's quite possible here too, as very surprisingly, all road users, including bicyclists, have to adhere to the traffic rules...

I'm not sure about your laws however here you cannot lose your driving license for riding a push bike for speeding, or being under the influence. Simply because if someone who didn't have a license wouldn't face any sort of punishment...thus the law would be unfair.

I'm gonna go tape my numberplate on the back of my bicycle and see what happens.

Or put "u mad bro?"
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'm not sure about your laws however here you cannot lose your driving license for riding a push bike for speeding, or being under the influence. Simply because if someone who didn't have a license wouldn't face any sort of punishment...thus the law would be unfair.

They'd still face the fine.
Licence holders can lose their licence because driving under the influence, regardless of what you're driving, could indicate a lack of responsibility and thus render you unfit to move any vehicle in public traffic. I've never heard of such a case though. I'm fairly certain you'd have to get caught on a regular basis for them to take such extreme measures.
A lone cyclist on a quiet night is usually not worth the paperwork, you'll get off with a slap on the wrist in most cases.
I'm all for cyclists getting fined for violating the traffic rules, but how can you get fined for speeding on a bike? Or are all bikes in Sweden required to have a speedo? I also bet that a bike even if traveling at almost 60 km/h can stop a lot sooner (and cause much less damage) than a car.
Quote from MadCatX :I'm all for cyclists getting fined for violating the traffic rules, but how can you get fined for speeding on a bike? Or are all bikes in Sweden required to have a speedo? I also bet that a bike even if traveling at almost 60 km/h can stop a lot sooner (and cause much less damage) than a car.

Not really sure about that... can you prove this?
I drove speeds up to 80km/h with my Bike as a youngster and god, braking to standstill from that speed takes a long time. But we had no disk brakes back then on our Bikes. Yes, a car is much much heavier, but it also has tremendous good brakes and a lot more rubber on the road. Somehow I have the feeling that at certain speeds upwards, you braking distance is shorter than with a regular bike.
If we're talking about Motorcycles, a modern motorcycle can stop quicker than a car. Most bikes have at least 280mm discs (same as most cars), most sports bikes have 290+ (normally 308-312mm) with 4 pot radially mounted calipers.

A bicycle on the other hand would not stop as good as a car unless, like what deserves to happen to most bikeists, they crash into a lamp post.
I guess this would actually make an interesting experiment. An ordinary bicycle doesn't have a good brakes and not really grippy tires, but even with a rider it doesn't weight over 100 kg. Some racing specials with disc brakes and only few hundred grams of weight are a different story though.
A motorbike might have better brakes, but it is what, 300+ kg? It also has only two tires so the overall stopping force is lower that that of a car.
Comparing a car to a motorbike might be quite tricky too. I'm sure the latest model of Kawasaki Ninja would outbrake Ford Cortina anytime, but it wouldn't stand a chance against say R36 Skyline...
Quote from ColeusRattus :You can also say goodbye to your driving license if you bike drunk.

round here you can even lose your licence for walking home drunk
Quote from MadCatX :I guess this would actually make an interesting experiment. An ordinary bicycle doesn't have a good brakes and not really grippy tires, but even with a rider it doesn't weight over 100 kg. Some racing specials with disc brakes and only few hundred grams of weight are a different story though.
A motorbike might have better brakes, but it is what, 300+ kg? It also has only two tires so the overall stopping force is lower that that of a car.
Comparing a car to a motorbike might be quite tricky too. I'm sure the latest model of Kawasaki Ninja would outbrake Ford Cortina anytime, but it wouldn't stand a chance against say R36 Skyline...

A motorcycle can outstop a car. At least in a dead stop, motorcycle lose time on a circuit compared to cars in terms of mid-corner speed and not being able to brake as much while turning.

Most motorcycles weigh between 170 and 230kgs. 300Kgs + is a seriously large touring bike or a Harley/similar styled cruiser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... oJvUU&feature=related

Please check out that video. In no way is that a good motorcycle for flat out braking. Chunky tyres, single disc with crummy 2 pot caliper..

Perhaps a superduper supercar with ABS and ceramic discs would give them a run for the money but comparitvely speaking a bike can stop quicker.

Would love to see a high speed bicycle stop though..
How does the number of pots or the disc size have anything to do with stopping distance? That bike is locking the wheels, it won't stop any faster with bigger brakes!
That bike has ABS

and larger discs and better calipers = more braking force?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :That bike has ABS

and larger discs and better calipers = more braking force?

Not quite. On a bike it's the tire grip that's most limiting. You can put as badass brakes on a bike as you'd like, but the lack of grip will render them useless at lower speeds.

I found another interesting bike X car comparison. A Ducati 1098s vs R36 GT-R.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... bf8vk&feature=related
My point was that that was the only flat out brake comparison I could find. Even in the wet the F650 which is a sort of trailly bike with chunky tyres and a single front disc stopped as quickly as a car, and faster in the dry. A more sporty bike will have much better tyres (street oriented at the very least) and with dual discs AND proper calipers it would be much better.

Yeah I saw that video, take them with a pinch of salt. That's a damp track which is the worst conditions for bikes. There's another video which is a Desmo RR vs a Ferrari 430 Scuderia in which the bike was like 3 seconds faster....

Depends on what video you want to pick
And my point is that the small disc and caliper is plenty to lock the wheel. Any larger disc won't increase stopping power. In general I would trust that a car actually brakes better than a bike, but they are probably quite equal. Most bikes don't even have ABS, and in that case the car is the clear winner as most people brake really bad with their bike.
A bicycle has high COG so you can't stop quickly.

Over here, there is no speed limit for cyclists, as long as you can stop within a reasonable distance.
Quote from RasmusL :And my point is that the small disc and caliper is plenty to lock the wheel. Any larger disc won't increase stopping power. In general I would trust that a car actually brakes better than a bike, but they are probably quite equal. Most bikes don't even have ABS, and in that case the car is the clear winner as most people brake really bad with their bike.

I've just given you proof that even a trail bike with off road tyres and poor brakes stops bette than a car!! What further proof is needed?

A larger disc WILL increase stopping power however if the tyre cannot cope with that then the extra stopping power will not be able to be used, aside from improve bite and better feel through the lever. Even sport touring road tyres of today are comprable in grip to the tyres used in Moto GP and Superbikes of 5-7 years ago so you're more likely to run out of skill than a tyre run out of grip.

Most motorcyclists are better riders than car drivers at driving, comes of being more at risk. But yeah, anything less than a ceramic stopping powered hypercar and a bike will stop quicker! I'm no god but have had both...and always been able to stop better on a bike than the car mainly because it's harder to feel limits of grip in a car and the ABS cuts in quite early!

Meanwhile in Sweden
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG