The online racing simulator
Laptops always hot!
(35 posts, started )
Laptops always hot!
I'm using my 3/4 year old laptop since I'm at my moms house for a week. I've been using it for about an hour and its REALLY hot. No games just internet and youtube.

Im not playing any games or anything. Laptops on 0% load. Why the **** is it always hot?
Probably because there's dust and shit in it, or some dodgy graphic settings. I only ever get >100 GPU if playing games, and high core temps if its on epic cpu / very high room temp.
Quote from boothy :Probably because there's dust and shit in it, or some dodgy graphic settings. I only ever get >100 GPU if playing games, and high core temps if its on epic cpu / very high room temp.

Laptops clean and its idle. Its a 4year old laptop so I dont care when it dies, it dies. I have my PC at home.
When cleaning it.. maybe you have re-seated heatsink without applying thermal grease?
Not sure what the equivalent to Activity Monitor is for Windows (Task Manager?), but I found a corrupted file for a printer on mine was making the CPU run full blast. Deleted that file, and it was smooth sailing. Check for failing software.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :Not sure what the equivalent to Activity Monitor is for Windows (Task Manager?), but I found a corrupted file for a printer on mine was making the CPU run full blast. Deleted that file, and it was smooth sailing. Check for failing software.

Will check when I get home. Thanks.
do the fans still work? also, if there are vents there, you might want to lift up the bottom, to improve air flow.
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :I'm using my 3/4 year old laptop since I'm at my moms house for a week. I've been using it for about an hour and its REALLY hot. No games just internet and youtube.

Im not playing any games or anything. Laptops on 0% load. Why the **** is it always hot?

Step 1: Open trash can.
Step 2: Insert laptop in trash can.
Step 3: Go to Apple store.
Step 4: Purchase computer for idi... I mean a Mac.
Or just buy a cheap crappy laptop, instead of a mac.
Macs are magical, though. They don't heat up, they don't use energy, they... hmm, can't think of anything else they do.

They're great for people who don't know how to use computers though.
Macs are shit.

I'll just prop the door open with a giant iPad until Dustin no doubt comes and trololols his way into the thread sucking Steve Job's boobies.
Those temp readings suggest that either both CPU and GPU fans are dead or that the vents are really clogged up with dust.
Important question, can you hear the fans spinning? If not, can it be that the laptop is switched to some powersaving mode that prefers slowing the CPU down to spooling the fans up?

OT: What's so wrong with Macs? For the extra money you get a pretty good piece of hardware plus the ability to run MacOS X. I'm not saying they're worth the money, but they're certainly not shit...
Quote from Forbin :Step 1: Open trash can.
Step 2: Insert laptop in trash can.
Step 3: Go to Apple store.
Step 4: Purchase computer for idi... I mean a Mac.

Im just using my laptop since I'm at my moms for a week. I have a PC at home that runs whatever I throw at it. I barely use my laptop.

Quote from MadCatX :Those temp readings suggest that either both CPU and GPU fans are dead or that the vents are really clogged up with dust.
Important question, can you hear the fans spinning? If not, can it be that the laptop is switched to some powersaving mode that prefers slowing the CPU down to spooling the fans up?

OT: What's so wrong with Macs? For the extra money you get a pretty good piece of hardware plus the ability to run MacOS X. I'm not saying they're worth the money, but they're certainly not shit...

The fans are on and they sound like jet engines. Im going to take off the cover and check it out later.
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :The fans are on and they sound like jet engines. Im going to take off the cover and check it out later.

sounds like a lack of airflow. laptops are notorious for that. giving the vents plenty of space is the only thing you can do in that instance, aside from buying one of those cooling mats that forces its own air into the vents.
Quote from MadCatX :

Nothing really aside from the fact most Mac owners think they're being individual. But they're not. And they're a complete rip off.

But I'm just countering most Apple's fan loyalty by doing exactly what they do; spout random crap with no sort of justification.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nothing really aside from the fact most Mac owners think they're being individual. But they're not. And they're a complete rip off.

But I'm just countering most Apple's fan loyalty by doing exactly what they do; spout random crap with no sort of justification.

Judging a device just by people who use it is not a good idea. There will always be Apple, MS and "opensource"(Linux, *BSD, *OSOL, Haiku,...) zealots out there claiming that their choice is the one and only. A MacBook for example is actually quite interesting piece of technology. S-IPS matrix display, multitouch touchpad, very power efficient etc etc. If you need a MacOS X for some reason (iPhone apps development), you don't have a choice anyway...

I do not have a Mac and I don't even want one, I'm just saying that they're definitely not a total ripoff, 'cause you get some extra goodies for you money. The question is if it's worth it and that's a matter of personal opinion rather than a value/money equation. The fact that Macs don't offer ME anything I'm willing to pay extra for doesn't mean that they don't offer anything to anybody...
Macs do get VERY hot(up to 85C under full load) But they deal with the heat very well.
Quote from MadCatX :Judging a device just by people who use it is not a good idea. There will always be Apple, MS and "opensource"(Linux, *BSD, *OSOL, Haiku,...) zealots out there claiming that their choice is the one and only. A MacBook for example is actually quite interesting piece of technology. S-IPS matrix display, multitouch touchpad, very power efficient etc etc. If you need a MacOS X for some reason (iPhone apps development), you don't have a choice anyway...

I do not have a Mac and I don't even want one, I'm just saying that they're definitely not a total ripoff, 'cause you get some extra goodies for you money. The question is if it's worth it and that's a matter of personal opinion rather than a value/money equation. The fact that Macs don't offer ME anything I'm willing to pay extra for doesn't mean that they don't offer anything to anybody...

also, to add to this. if you're not having a very enjoyable experience with laptops, then it would be a good idea to give a different product a try. i'm not a fan of apple but if i were in the market for a portable computer. and i was not enjoying windows laptops then i'd seriously be considering apple.
they seem to be able to get the best out of the hardware compared to a windows based laptop. even with the development of tablet computers, apple (unfortunately) are top in that department too. even with their flaws, they are still faster than most tablets on the market. that being said, the Asus tablet seems to be a very close 2nd.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Macs are shit.

I'll just prop the door open with a giant iPad until Dustin no doubt comes and trololols his way into the thread sucking Steve Job's boobies.

I'm surprised you can even fit in the door.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Are you refering to me or Steve Jobs?

Haven't you seen Steve Jobs. He's the thinnest and lightest CEO in the industry.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Haven't you seen Steve Jobs. He's the thinnest and lightest CEO in the industry.

Most cancerous, too.

Laptops always hot!
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG