The online racing simulator
2011 Fia WTCC
(77 posts, started )
#1 - Mysho
2011 Fia WTCC
Haven't found any thread relating to 2011 WTCC season so here we go again! Disscuss, rate, comment.

Last race @ Hungaroring. I feel sorry for Michelisz in race 2, he did a typical mistake of ours and tried to win the race in first corner. Didn't turn out quite well... All in all nice racing, I do support Chevrolet so I'm pretty happy about the results and also nice racing in wet race 2. That Volvo will become a beast hopefully.

Btw. If anyone has Wtcc 2010 dlc for Race07/Race On I am free to join and we can try it sometimes. It's pretty funny.
People should stop crashing Menu off. First Muller, now Coronel. Bloody hell, watch where you're going.

/biased post.
A bit like F1, stopped taking this any seriously this year, because of the retarded Q1 race 2 reversed grid, plus the small and very spread out field, plus the Chevrolet domination. Still watching though, but now keeping my touring car passion on BTCC(and also STCC).

Thanks FIA for ruining good racing with silly regulations.

But meh. This series has always been a bit dull, with the F1 tracks plus the two races system(comparing to BTCC's 3).
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :A bit like F1, stopped taking this any seriously this year, because of the retarded Q1 race 2 reversed grid, plus the small and very spread out field, plus the Chevrolet domination. Still watching though, but now keeping my touring car passion on BTCC(and also STCC).

Thanks FIA for ruining good racing with silly regulations.

But meh. This series has always been a bit dull, with the F1 track plus the two races system(comparing to BTCC's 3).

Exactamundo. Not going out of my way to download/follow it when a) they've not bothered to fix their stupid reverse grid issue for like 5 or 6 years when the BTCC resolved theirs after 1 season. b) usually crappy long tracks not conducive to good touring car racing c) less and less known drivers + teams
And shall I mention the poor car variety. In BTCC/STCC you see something like 10 different car models at every round, some being built by privateers. Meanwhile in WTCC you are stuck with BMW/Seat/Chevy(and a lonely Volvo).
#6 - Mysho
I must admit that this was +/- first Sunday I saw both full lenght races and I really don't have much time to study new qual system... Would someone be nice enough to write it here in short? Because I really didn't get Bennani @ 1st place in second race for example. Thought it's still the usual, first 8 drivers from race 1 switch their positions, but obviously it isn't.
#8 - AJS
Yeah the atmosphere was incredible good hungarian style !

even when Norbi crashed in Race 2 everyone was still screaming for him and standing up

but it did really hurt to see him crash in T1...

now im looking forward to King of Europe Drift in Máriapócs
He said the guy in front of him braked ~3meters before the braking point, so he had to change direction to avoid crashing him from the back. Then went to the grass and... he was just a passenger. Shit happens, forget that "divebomb attempt" someone mentioned earlier...

Loved the fans screaming as the Zengő guys finished repairing the car and fired it up in the pits.
Couldn't believe they changed this:

into this:

in such a short time. And way how they totally ignored back of the car. Impressive work there. I still think he did kind of motivated maneuver and put himself on the inside hoping he will take as much as he can. He should know he won't get a spare milimeter and the drivers in front of him are not-so-good and kind of slow-ish.
What was the raceday timetable like for WTCC? BTCC has at least 90 minutes between each race, does WTCC still have that stupid back to back race thing?
Quote from boothy :What was the raceday timetable like for WTCC? BTCC has at least 90 minutes between each race, does WTCC still have that stupid back to back race thing?

Attached.
Attached files
wtcc-official-timetable-2011.pdf - 20.9 KB - 242 views
Quote from Mysho :I must admit that this was +/- first Sunday I saw both full lenght races and I really don't have much time to study new qual system... Would someone be nice enough to write it here in short? Because I really didn't get Bennani @ 1st place in second race for example. Thought it's still the usual, first 8 drivers from race 1 switch their positions, but obviously it isn't.

I don't know how, but it seems like there is a 2nd qualy for race 2. I haven't checked, too lazy.
Just watched the coverage on Eurosport, the fans sounded brilliant, going mental for Micheliz every time he came past, fantastic stuff!

Very pleased for him to get the 2nd place in the first race, but I think he only had himself to blame at the start of the second race; the pressure and expectation put on him to perform as well as, if not better than he did in the first race was just too much to handle, and he tried to be a T1 hero. Amazing job by his team getting the car back out there though.

Race 1, watching Villa leave it until the last lap to overtake Tarquini was great, and it kicked off between those two and the two Chevy, great few corners.

Race 2 was great to watch with the rain coming down, cars going off all over the place. It always seems to be the same in these conditions; the guys at the back take a gamble which would have paid off if there were another 5 laps or so, always seems to go that way. Would have been nice to see Micheliz storm up the field if there was more time.
Quote from Mysho :I must admit that this was +/- first Sunday I saw both full lenght races and I really don't have much time to study new qual system... Would someone be nice enough to write it here in short? Because I really didn't get Bennani @ 1st place in second race for example. Thought it's still the usual, first 8 drivers from race 1 switch their positions, but obviously it isn't.

Top 10 starting grid of race 2 is decided by Q1 top 10, in reversed order.

Fastest guy in Q1 gets 10th in race 2, 2nd gets in 9th, 10th gets pole. 11th gets 11th in both races, 12th gets 12th, etc.

As you might expect some are slowing down on purpose in Q1 just to get a good race 2 position. If you are doing it nicely you can turn the rule to your favor nicely: Huff won both races at Monza thanks to it, for example. Here in Hungary he failed to get in the top 10 and ended up starting 12th in both races.

So, basically they introduced that rule to stop people from slowing down on purpose in race 1 to get at the bottom of the top 8. Result, they end up with 10 times more stuff of this kind, but in Q1 instead of race 1. Great job really. Why the hell couldn't they just put a BTCC-like random reversed grid though?

Quote from boothy :What was the raceday timetable like for WTCC? BTCC has at least 90 minutes between each race, does WTCC still have that stupid back to back race thing?

What's wrong with that?
Last race before a long pause this weekend at Oschersleben! Last race at Donington was pretty much what WTCC used to be, great racing, contacts, door-to-door action... Since Oschersleben has been BMW friendly forever I guess it should be more entertaining as other weekends in schedule. Anyone going/in?
Franz you're a King! Cannot believe Franz won the race. Absolutely awsome!
Yeah i was happy to see him win, just shows the potential of the bmw, a shame they got such poor drivers this season. I feel there is a lot more in it for bmw with the right drivers. Great win though by the old fox!
Bimmer power! Shame Michelisz had a bad day... again.
Some great racing for the second time in a row too.

And both drivers' championship look extremely interresting now: 6 points between Huff and Muller outright, and top 4(Michelisz, Poulsen, O'Young, Engstler) within 2 points for the independants, with Villa and Nykjaer still in contention, 6 and 10 points behind
Might have been the oldest podium in the history of motorsports: 147 combined years in Race 2 xD
I have a simple question but I don't really want to open a whole new thread for a simple question.

We have all seen footage of the old BTCC during its golden age in the early 90s. Those cars look ridiculously fast, but somehow the current generation WTCC and BTCC cars just don't look as quick as they used to in the 90s. So my question is, is the current cars faster than the ones from the golden age?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :I have a simple question but I don't really want to open a whole new thread for a simple question.

We have all seen footage of the old BTCC during its golden age in the early 90s. Those cars look ridiculously fast, but somehow the current generation WTCC and BTCC cars just don't look as quick as they used to in the 90s. So my question is, is the current cars faster than the ones from the golden age?

In my point of view they are faster nowadays. Aslo if you look at BTCC's track records then most of them are from this or last season. Ofcourse there have been some modifications of tracks, but aslo there is some old tracks too Dunno about top speed. But they can't be faster on straights too, it's still 2liter engine and there have been ten years of engine development...
Quote from TypeRacing : Dunno about top speed. But they can't be faster on straights too, it's still 2liter engine and there have been ten years of engine development...

Isn't it 1600 cc turbocharged engines from this year on?
Oh yea, they're using those new engines in this year. Even more, 1.6T engines are more powerful and aslo engines weight less, so weight distribution is even better.
Dunno about '90 minimum weight, I think now cars are heavier than in '90...

2011 Fia WTCC
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG