The online racing simulator
Halp needed. Ati Radeon HD 5770
(54 posts, started )
Quote from Uke :Edit: Yeah It's only 330watts and the card needs 500watts. Problem solved. Thanks for help!

Meanwhile, if you still haven't got a new one - get a Corsair or SeaSonic PSU. They're really reliable and powerful.
Please note that overall wattage (like 500W) does NOT say much about the PSU's capability to provide sufficient power to demanding devices like GPUs. It theory you can have a 1000W PSU that wouldn't be enough. What matters is the amps on +12V rails. When you pick a new PSU, you can post it here so we can check if it will work fine with your HW.
MadCatX, in case of Corsair - all their PSUs are single +12V rail, and wattage is specified exactly for it (amps * 12, so 50A in case of 600W PSU)
Quote from E.Reiljans :MadCatX, in case of Corsair - all their PSUs are single +12V rail, and wattage is specified exactly for it (amps * 12, so 50A in case of 600W PSU)

I know, I have a TX750 which has rated 720W on the 12V rail. I don't consider having just one 12V rail a particularly good idea, but at least it makes the overall wattage info less cryptic for an average user.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :interesting

i don't have onboard graphics but my system reads my GTX470 as 4GB. :s any ideas why this would be the case? i've looked into it before but i've not been getting much joy.
Quote from dadge :i don't have onboard graphics but my system reads my GTX470 as 4GB. :s any ideas why this would be the case? i've looked into it before but i've not been getting much joy.

dxdiag always shows wrong VRAM amount. Try GPU-Z.
Quote from E.Reiljans :dxdiag always shows wrong VRAM amount. Try GPU-Z.

True. It says 2800MB here while I only have two cards of 512MB, so effectively only 512MB.
Quote from Bose321 :True. It says 2800MB here while I only have two cards of 512MB, so effectively only 512MB.

That amount depends on RAM btw. When I upgraded from 4 GB to 8 GB, it changed from 27xx to 4096, remained same after 8->16GB upgrade.
Quote from dadge :i don't have onboard graphics but my system reads my GTX470 as 4GB. :s any ideas why this would be the case? i've looked into it before but i've not been getting much joy.

I wouldn't know, other than to say you have a one of a kind 4GB GTX470 :>

Is that on the Windows 7 thingy or a specific NVidia tool?
it's on dxdiag
GPU-Z reads it as correct so i'm not to worried.
Yeah probably a bug (you'd never have thought it) with Dxdiag. Shitty windows.
Quote from E.Reiljans :That amount depends on RAM btw. When I upgraded from 4 GB to 8 GB, it changed from 27xx to 4096, remained same after 8->16GB upgrade.

It's the same thing like AGP Aperture except that now it's configured dynamically by the drivers. It doesn't serve to any real purpose anyway, 'cause once GPU runs out of VRAM, it trashes the framerate anyway...
Quote from MadCatX :It's the same thing like AGP Aperture except that now it's configured dynamically by the drivers.

Wut.

Where can I read about it, and how to disable it? :s
Quote from E.Reiljans :Wut.

Where can I read about it, and how to disable it? :s

It's not like I know this for granted, I sorta extrapolated from a couple of forum posts and applied a bit of common sense.
Since it seems to be configured dynamically, I don't think you can disable it. But I also think you shouldn't worry about that, in fact I don't recall running out of VRAM since like S3 Virge DX times...
Quote from MadCatX :But I also think you shouldn't worry about that, in fact I don't recall running out of VRAM since like S3 Virge DX times...

If it's like pagefile - Windows may use it even when you have plenty of free VRAM. :3
#41 - Uke
Quote from MadCatX :Please note that overall wattage (like 500W) does NOT say much about the PSU's capability to provide sufficient power to demanding devices like GPUs. It theory you can have a 1000W PSU that wouldn't be enough. What matters is the amps on +12V rails. When you pick a new PSU, you can post it here so we can check if it will work fine with your HW.

Thanks, I'll do that propably tomorrow when i get the new PSU.

The PSU I'm getting says it has 650watt so It should propably be enough.

It's also funny how I would have never thought that maybe my PSU isn't powerful enough thinkin "my comp is only 5 years old, ofcourse PSU won't be a problem when I get a new GFX card" :doh:
Quote from Uke :It's also funny how I would have never thought that maybe my PSU isn't powerful enough thinkin "my comp is only 5 years old, ofcourse PSU won't be a problem when I get a new GFX card" :doh:

Some people prefer 400W or so PSUs even in 2011 cause

a) they're more efficient at ~100W load than 9000W ones
b) they can be fanless (Seasonic X 400W/460W models)
c) they're cheaper
d) they're less likely to burn stuff out when they die (if I remember this correctly).
#43 - Uke
Quote from E.Reiljans :Some people prefer 400W or so PSUs even in 2011 cause

a) they're more efficient at ~100W load than 9000W ones
b) they can be fanless (Seasonic X 400W/460W models)
c) they're cheaper
d) they're less likely to burn stuff out when they die (if I remember this correctly).

One last question, my GFX card requires atleast a 500watt PSU, and I have been using it with a 330watt one. Te guy at the store said, that my computer won't start if i dont have a powerful enough PSU. Is this correct?

Also, in the box of my gfx card it says it needs a 500watt PSU, so do I need ATLEAST 500watt PSU, or will it work fine with a 500watt one?
My 5750 without the power connector will bip 3 times and the computer won't start.
The 5750 of a friend caused computer restart due to a not powerfull enough power supply. (only ocurred when gaming)
Quote from Uke :Also, in the box of my gfx card it says it needs a 500watt PSU, so do I need ATLEAST 500watt PSU, or will it work fine with a 500watt one?

What's the difference between "at least 500W" and "500W"?

500W >= 500W
#46 - Uke
Quote from E.Reiljans :What's the difference between "at least 500W" and "500W"?

500W >= 500W

Well lets put it this way then.. Will it work better with a more powerful PSU?
Quote from Uke :Well lets put it this way then.. Will it work better with a more powerful PSU?

No. There'll be no difference. (unless 500W you're going to buy is crappy OEM PSU that really can only handle 350W or so).
#48 - Uke
So, I now have a new PSU, and I see no diffrence in gaming at all..

So the problem really is that my computer is a ****ing piece fo crap and should be thrown out of the window.

This kind of shit is the reason people are moving onto console gaming..
Quote from Uke :This kind of shit is the reason people are moving onto console gaming..

Xbox 360
PS3

What exact powersupply have you installed? Are you sure you have attached both PCIe power connectors?
Quote from Uke :So, I now have a new PSU, and I see no diffrence in gaming at all..

So the problem really is that my computer is a ****ing piece fo crap and should be thrown out of the window.

This kind of shit is the reason people are moving onto console gaming..

Have you installed it correctly? What kind of PSU in it?

Halp needed. Ati Radeon HD 5770
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG