The online racing simulator
Halp needed. Ati Radeon HD 5770
(54 posts, started )
#1 - Uke
So, I have 4gt of RAM in my computer, and theres constantly over 1gt of it in use when i have nothing else than the windows secrity essentials running.

Is this normal, or should I buy more RAM?

I have recently noticed a huge loss of performance, mainly after i bought Ati Radeon HD 5770.

full PC specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Display Memory: 2805 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
You don't really have to worry about RAM usage as long as you don't experience a lot of swapping. It's normal that Windows tries to use as much RAM as possible - it's a good thing 'cause it speeds things up.

What kind of performance loss do you have? Did you loose FPS in games or does the whole system feel sluggish and unresponsive? What GPU did you have before? What Windows version do you have? Is it 64bit? Are you sure your PSU is strong enough to handle a HD5770?
#3 - Uke
I had nvidia gt 220 before. A cheap budget card not for gaming at all.
Windows 7 64bit.

And yeah, fps loss in games that ran well with the old card.

Yeah I'm not sure about the PSU. Might check that one out.
Are you sure that the HD5770 is installed correctly? Are the AUX power supply cables connected? This looks like a PSU issue to me, if your card doesn't have enough power, it's possible it runs in fallback 2D-mode at very low GPU and mem clock.
#6 - Uke
Quote from MadCatX :Are you sure that the HD5770 is installed correctly? Are the AUX power supply cables connected? This looks like a PSU issue to me, if your card doesn't have enough power, it's possible it runs in fallback 2D-mode at very low GPU and mem clock.

I can still run games like GTA IV, but with the lowest settings. But then for example Amnesia has horrible stuttering problems with the lowest settings and BFBC2 has those too. Used to run fairly well with the old card.

I will double check the installation and get a more powerful PSU from my other computer and check out how it works.

Quote from bunder9999 :i don't know anything about adding a video card degrading performance, but have you tried stripping out unneeded services?

I use gamebooster for that.
have you uninstalled the drivers correctly? going from nvidia to ati (or the other way round) can cause issues if not done properly
#8 - Uke
Quote from Shotglass :have you uninstalled the drivers correctly? going from nvidia to ati (or the other way round) can cause issues if not done properly

i tought that may be the issue, reinstalled windows and still didnt work.

This has turned into a video card discussion, maybe the thread should be moved.
i had the same card, have the same OS, and have the same card you have now.

i noticed an increase in performance (i think :shy

are the drivers updated properly?
In what resolution are U trying to play? In FULL HD 5770 could be weak for high settings (af, vsync and the others...)
Quote from MadCatX :Are you sure that the HD5770 is installed correctly? Are the AUX power supply cables connected? This looks like a PSU issue to me, if your card doesn't have enough power, it's possible it runs in fallback 2D-mode at very low GPU and mem clock.

If it was running in 2D mode then it wouldn't be able to sort out 3D images used for rendering in game, or it would more likely just crash when the PSU tries to put out too much juice, is cut back as the components can't handle it, screws up powerflow to the CPU or another component causing computer to restart with, normally, no long term damage on occasion.

And if you have shared memory then it's obviously using an internal graphics chip (NOT the 5770) so you need to turn off your motherboards inbuilt graphics in the BIOS.

Quote :Display Memory: 2805 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Adds up to about 4GB thereabouts? Thus I believe games are being processed on an internal graphics chip and just being output through the 5570, likely as a default option that when an external video card is added, it (by default) also outputs through the VGA/HDMI/stupid connector that some ATI cards use.

Just a thought?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Adds up to about 4GB thereabouts? Thus I believe games are being processed on an internal graphics chip and just being output through the 5570, likely as a default option that when an external video card is added, it (by default) also outputs through the VGA/HDMI/stupid connector that some ATI cards use.

that shouldn't happen, motherboards normally disable the onboard chip when an addon card has been installed.
Be surprised how many don't. Anyway worth a check surely and if not then hey..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If it was running in 2D mode then it wouldn't be able to sort out 3D images used for rendering in game, or it would more likely just crash when the PSU tries to put out too much juice, is cut back as the components can't handle it, screws up powerflow to the CPU or another component causing computer to restart with, normally, no long term damage on occasion.

I won't put my money on that, but IIRC I read about a similar issue caused by the card not having enough juice. It stayed in 2D/powersaving (or whatever you want to call it mode) to prevent system from crashing which lead to huge performance loss. This kind of problem would be a bitch to diagnose especially if Uke's PSU is only just below the limit.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
And if you have shared memory then it's obviously using an internal graphics chip (NOT the 5770) so you need to turn off your motherboards inbuilt graphics in the BIOS.

If I'm not mistaken, the "shared memory" refers to ATI's HyperMemory thingy, it works just like AGP Aperture did in good old days I'm not sure if HyperMemory can be disabled, but the shared memory should be used only if the card runs out of VRAM.
#15 - Uke
So.. The things I should check are my PSU and if my computer actually uses the integrated graphics chip in the motherboard?
Could you post what motherboard do you have? There's a pretty good chance it doesn't have an onboard GPU at all. I suggest checking the PSU. If you installed the HD5770 yourself, are you sure you connected the auxiliary power cables?

BTW, you mentioned you reinstalled Windows, did you format the HDD or did you just installed Windows over the old one?
Quote from MadCatX :I won't put my money on that, but IIRC I read about a similar issue caused by the card not having enough juice. It stayed in 2D/powersaving (or whatever you want to call it mode) to prevent system from crashing which lead to huge performance loss. This kind of problem would be a bitch to diagnose especially if Uke's PSU is only just below the limit.

That does make sense as well. It could be both theories.

Quote :If I'm not mistaken, the "shared memory" refers to ATI's HyperMemory thingy, it works just like AGP Aperture did in good old days I'm not sure if HyperMemory can be disabled, but the shared memory should be used only if the card runs out of VRAM.

Pah, shows how much I keep up to date with graphics cards these days!

If it can be disabled I suggest disabling it. If it's a 1GB 5770 then there's no reason why that can't function as the sole source of memory for rendering and processing tasks, they're not the best cards in the world but they're fairly decent..

And there's a pretty easy way to check if you have integrated graphics, there will likely be 2 VGA ports now on your PC, one which you can plug in where the graphics card goes, and another somewhere.

Here you can see there's some video output ports on the left and on the right some other slots which should be able to take a graphics card. If you plug into where the graphic card goes but there's still a VGA port or something somewhere else then it's likely you have had intergrated graphics.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Adds up to about 4GB thereabouts? Thus I believe games are being processed on an internal graphics chip and just being output through the 5570, likely as a default option that when an external video card is added, it (by default) also outputs through the VGA/HDMI/stupid connector that some ATI cards use.

In what sense DisplayPort is stupid? It's superior to all of existing connectors - VGA (due to being digital), DVI (due to being able to carry audio), HDMI (due to being patent-free and not requiring licensing fees to implement it, plus PCIe can be sent over it, making e.g. external GPUs or RAID controllers possible).
HDMI or DVI are all you need. I just like not having to get a whole bunch of adaptors (even having a DVI>VGA adaptor that I need to use on my ATI card right now is annoying)..

Bu hey. :>
Quote from S14 DRIFT :HDMI or DVI are all you need. I just like not having to get a whole bunch of adaptors (even having a DVI>VGA adaptor that I need to use on my ATI card right now is annoying)..

Bu hey. :>

DVI = no sound + XBOX HUGE connector
HDMI = makes devices more expensive due to HDMI licensing fees + less bandwidth than DisplayPort

DisplayPort is way more universal and that's why it should be used. Especially with ThunderBolt protocol capable host controller.
#21 - Uke
My motherboard indeed does have somekind of a integrated gfx chip, so I'll check that one out.

When i can be arsed to do so...

And ill propably get a better psu next weekend so I'll propably do those both then.

Oh and i did format.
#22 - Uke
Where can I check how powerful my PSU is?
Quote from Uke :Where can I check how powerful my PSU is?

the sticker on the PSU should say. if not, they make these PSU testers with fancy screens that will probably do the trick.
Quote from Uke :Where can I check how powerful my PSU is?

Unless it's some crappy no-name one, you can use the model/make of the PSU to google it's specs if there is no info about wattage/amps written on the PSU itself.
#25 - Uke
I couldn't get any informationa bout the wattage and stuff, but it's worth $6.25 so it's not propably one of those high end PSUs right?

Edit: Yeah It's only 330watts and the card needs 500watts. Problem solved. Thanks for help!

(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG