The online racing simulator
Steering technique?
(18 posts, started )
Steering technique?
For types of racing where you actually have to take your hands off the steering wheel in order to make the turns, what is the preferred steer wheel technique? Most street driving classes teach hand over hand, yet many racing schools teach shuffle. Is one preferred over the other or are both used depending on the type of racing/driving one is doing?

I've Googled and seen a number of sites, but any links with explanations you think are very good and shouldn't be missed would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I've always seen this driving guide over at TurnFast.com --- http://turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving.shtml

Pretty straightforward guide to driving properly if you ask me

(The site goes down from time to time, so catch it while you can)
Quote from rwkeating :For types of racing where you actually have to take your hands off the steering wheel in order to make the turns, what is the preferred steer wheel technique? Most street driving classes teach hand over hand, yet many racing schools teach shuffle. Is one preferred over the other or are both used depending on the type of racing/driving one is doing?

I've Googled and seen a number of sites, but any links with explanations you think are very good and shouldn't be missed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

basically for racing, it is only shuffle that i use. I feel that i have more control over the car that way but I do the opposite in the real world.

You'll just have to try both and see the most comfortable way for you.
Basically, do it whatever way you are most comfortable doing it. There isn't really a wrong way... so long as you keep 1 hand on the wheel... :P
I use 'flailing arms' technique.
#6 - Mikey
I just found rotational steering technique the other day. Its surpose to be very very good and give you good control over knowing where the steering is. You only ever take your hands off the wheel twice to get lock to lock on a 2 1/2 turn wheel
I really do all kinds of hand movements on the wheel, because the wheel is so small, doing the proper shuffle and everything makes all those techniques nearly impossible.

Usually when doing any rally games or rallycross here on LFS, I find myself using two hands on the wheel at all times, but then sometimes flicking the wheel with one hand in tight sections. I think I do a bit of shuffle or picking my hands up off the wheel a bit to 'snag' the wheel in the right position.

It's tough to know what I do exactly, but I know 90% of the time I have my hands on the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, like in that guide I linked above.
I've gotta say that I'm the same as Tweak.

Try as I might, my wheel is just too small for shuffle (which is incidentally how my driving instructor taught me in rl).

Quote from dave_w11 :I use 'flailing arms' technique.

I was literally rofl when I read that
I just sort of hold on tight and pray for the best... Not exactly sure how to describe it, I hold the wheel at 3 and 9 and use hand over hand if needed. The DFP is small and too strong for its size in most cases.
Hi,

I use the "Ball of my hand" to spin the wheel if you get me, find this is easy to turn the car quickly in one direction if needed. I also just use one hand on top of wheel, and if more lock is needed the ball of my hand is used
i always keep my hands fixed at 9 & 3 and just cross them over, its easier to control the car if u know what position you hands are at on the wheel... well i think so anyway.
left arm at 12, right arm on the shifter. same way I drive in 1:1
Quote from marsden1002 :Hi,

I use the "Ball of my hand" to spin the wheel if you get me, find this is easy to turn the car quickly in one direction if needed. I also just use one hand on top of wheel, and if more lock is needed the ball of my hand is used

That's the best way to cruise my mom's power steeringless Corolla at the town. Especially in winter when fast steering is more needed.

But when it comes to race cars (real or virtual), I try to keep both hands firmly on 9 and 3 o'clock as long as possible. If more lock is needed, I lift the leading hand just to follow the second hand. If u get me
Quote from dave_w11 :I use 'flailing arms' technique.

I use that technique while drifting hahaha. Especially when I'm at opposite lock, and I try and do some crazy stuff to save it, but ... yeah... no.

Like maggot said, whatevers comfortable.
Shuffle ... I never want my wrists crossed in case something goes wrong.
If I need to wind on that much lock I usually run out of the room and come back when things have calmed down. Less stressfull.

More seriously, for me it depends on my mood and concentration really. If I'm really concentrating my hands will be firmly gripped around either side of the wheel, never letting go. If I'm having a bit of a laugh and not taking things to seriously, I tend to just slowly countersteer slowly with one hand while itching my head or something (thinking I'm all cool and what-not).
i hold the wheel very loosly and with my wrists doing the steering, with the front wheel drive cars i hold it really loosly and let the FF do what it wants to.
Quote from Tweaker :I've always seen this driving guide over at TurnFast.com --- http://turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving.shtml

Pretty straightforward guide to driving properly if you ask me

(The site goes down from time to time, so catch it while you can)

That's a pretty good site, but I'm still having problems with awkward zones with hand-over-hand (in real life), where the wheel needs to be held on the spot where you change hands.

Then there's that seating position. With my wrists on the wheel, the seatback is almost 90 degrees. I drove all 150km of today like that.

It's going to take some getting used to.

Steering technique?
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG