The online racing simulator
tire wear mod?
(29 posts, started )
tire wear mod?
most are going to hate me for asking by ranting an raving about the realism issue and all that but would there be a mod to eliminate tire wear and overheating? like a memory editor where it can lock the tire temps and wear at certain values depending on the optimum temp for each tire. Ex:I enjoy drifting but since the tire wear has been implemented then more than 2 laps on any course is just about impossible. This mod would help me enjoy it much more and i'm pretty sure that the last wealth of programming knowlege that partols these boards might know where to start.

*puts on flame suit*
ants:+:hide:=me
thats what makes drifting more enjoyable i think; then you just have to worry about more
Come on Matt. Green tires=fun
#4 - Gunn
In a real life drifting situation (D1 for example) tyres only last a few minutes before they are shot. So you can be happy that LFS is similar. Tyre wear has caught many of the drifters by surprise but most have adapted their sets and styles to compensate and they seem to be having as good a time as ever. I'm sure some of those guys will be willing to help you out. :up:
Quote from Gunn :In a real life drifting situation (D1 for example) tyres only last a few minutes before they are shot. So you can be happy that LFS is similar. Tyre wear has caught many of the drifters by surprise but most have adapted their sets and styles to compensate and they seem to be having as good a time as ever. I'm sure some of those guys will be willing to help you out. :up:

But this is a GAME, not real life.

There should be an option to turn it off if you don't want it on.

Not everyone take's LFS as seriously as some, and pitting every 20 sec to get new tyres/fix those punctures get's boring.. And i've never seen anyone wreck a new pair of tyres as quick as it does in LFS, even doing a standing burnout.
Quote from L(Oo)ney :But this is a GAME, not real life.

There should be an option to turn it off if you don't want it on.

LFS is advertised as a SIMULATOR, not a game. Until it can be turned off in real life, it shouldn't be simulated in LFS.
im with sirocco on this one...

But hey, theres allways NFS:U for you type of people to play with.
Quote from Scirocco :LFS is advertised as a SIMULATOR, not a game. Until it can be turned off in real life, it shouldn't be simulated in LFS.

Well, a TRUE simulator would not restrict the user in such ways. For example if you'd want to run a simulation on how many laps you can do with a certain fuel load the simulator should not force you to worry about tyre wear or damage. LFS is a game though, and a game needs such restrictions to make it interesting
Quote from Kegetys :Well, a TRUE simulator would not restrict the user in such ways. For example if you'd want to run a simulation on how many laps you can do with a certain fuel load the simulator should not force you to worry about tyre wear or damage. LFS is a game though, and a game needs such restrictions to make it interesting

What would you be calculating that for? Obviously if your calculating a few laps tire wear is going to have an effect on it, even if you are just calculating fuel. (I worded this wrong I think)
[edit]

I think there should be an option to disable it if you wish, you do not, lets leave it at that.
[/edit]
i knew people would play the 'but it's a simulator' card. :irked: I do like need for speed but i LOVE LFS. somedays i love takin the f0x out and doing some nice driving around aston or in SO city but otherdays i just wanna hand the @$$ out like there's no tomorrow.

I feel that there should be an option to turn these (fuel, tire, damage) off despite this games 'simulator' status. LFS means different things to different people so there should be 'degrees' of the simulation just to suit everyone and thier different moods... but i guess thats just me. (hope you're listening, devs. i<3u)
Seeing as how Scawen appears to be quite the purist, I highly doubt you'll see any kind of option to change things such as this. This is one of the things I and many others love about LFS, it is strictly focused on being a simulation without any arcade options to water it down. If your main interest is drifting and you are unable to drift under the simulation parameters, then clearly LFS is not for you.
#13 - Gunn
Well there's no need to get heated about it, just discuss it as you like. (talking to nobody in particular) Everybody wants different things but we can't have them all.

- "Simulator" means simulating something, in this case it's Racing. A racing simulator shouldn't be expected to simulate fantasy laps with full fuel and no tyre wear. As interesting at that may be to study fuel usage it just wouldn't have a relevant application to the actual racing. Fuel usage is also dependant on car handling and wheelspin which are effected by ... tyre wear.

- Options to turn stuff off so you can just have some fun. Sure, I can see how lots of players would really enjoy this, it might be a great deal of fun and add a new aspect LFS. The title of LFS could then be changed to "Online Racing Simulator and Game!". Ok I joke a little here.

The community wants rookies to become cleaner and better drivers. If they are able to "learn" with these things turned off then nothing has been achieved. So that would be a risk. Some may become dissatisfied with the realistic mode. Now we are heading away from the goal.

- Tyres pop too early/easily. Well, maybe they do, I can't remember getting a puncture yet from normal racing though, so I can't critisize the model too much. We know things are still being developed. The tyres are designed to perish under conditions that would normally wear them out. Under extreme stress they should eventually or immediately fail. They do. But even if the model isn't accurate right now, the answer is not to turn it all off. The answer is "improve it so it is more accurate". In the meantime, experiment with tyre pressures, suspension and brake settings to try and make a more tyre-friendly setup.

Although I think you guys have a reason to make a point, I do believe that there are negative effects from being able to turn such things off, even for fun. LFS already covers so many motorsport possibilities and each new concept takes time to implement. Perhaps a special competition tyre is the answer? One that is less than adequate for racing, but has more resilience and strength under heavy loads. As long as the authentic racing is not compromised in any way it may be a solution?
Quote from Forbin :Seeing as how Scawen appears to be quite the purist, I highly doubt you'll see any kind of option to change things such as this. This is one of the things I and many others love about LFS, it is strictly focused on being a simulation without any arcade options to water it down. If your main interest is drifting and you are unable to drift under the simulation parameters, then clearly LFS is not for you.

I love racing in LFS just as much as the next guy, but when i want to have a little fun sliding around, LFS S2 Alpha's new features bug me. Sure it might be "realistic", but that doesnt necessarily make it more fun.

You all seemed perfectly happy playing LFS back in the day, when there was no tyre wear, why the sudden "no tyre ware = arcade racer" ?
#15 - Gunn
I have always welcomed the new features like tyre wear, fuel usage and suspension damage. They add the element of strategy to the racing.
Quote from Gunn :I have always welcomed the new features like tyre wear, fuel usage and suspension damage. They add the element of strategy to the racing.

Never said you didn't welcome them, and i didn't say i never welcomed them, because when you are racing, they do their job well.

But, having no damage/wear/fuel usage never stopped you playing lfs back then did it? Thats my point, if it was ok then, why isnt it ok now?

No one would be forcing you to not use them, as it would be a server side option. Wanna race with those on, join a server with them enabled, pretty simple really..
#17 - Gunn
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Never said you didn't welcome them, and i didn't say i never welcomed them, because when you are racing, they do their job well.

But, having no damage/wear/fuel usage never stopped you playing lfs back then did it? Thats my point, if it was ok then, why isnt it ok now?

No one would be forcing you to not use them, as it would be a server side option. Wanna race with those on, join a server with them enabled, pretty simple really..

Who said it was ok back then? From my memory I seem to recall a constant barage of suggestions and complaints from the community about how these things could be improved and implemented. Now they are finally here and people want to be able to turn them off. Go figure.
Quote from Gunn :Who said it was ok back then? From my memory I seem to recall a constant barage of suggestions and complaints from the community about how these things could be improved and implemented. Now they are finally here and people want to be able to turn them off. Go figure.

Ok, you got me there..

Nothing wrong with having a choice though, imo..
i don't think it would be sensible to have an option at all (think of the complications with servers etc) but another tyre type with a very hard compund (uncompetitive for racing but a very forgiving contrution) would be perfect.

also, Rally X hybrids seem to put up with a LOT of abuse before giving up entierly, not given them a direct comparison tho' so i might be wrong
OK, you guys obviously didnt quite get my point here. I meant a 3rd party mod, not something incorporated into LFS itself because i knew everyone (wel, lots) of the purists would have a problem with it. THink of it being something like LFStweak. Does that ease your minds and make it possibly more 'acceptable' for this simulator?
If you want a new car, you just have to push the Space Bar. I like this option to be in single player mode, but for online game, the way it is is the best for a simulator.
Unoffical mod or not, I think LFS is fine with tyre wear. The good drifters and stunt drivers have coped. It's only the drifter wannabes that struggle... Mainly because they are poor at it.

S1 Doesn't have tyre wear. How about using that? (The original S1, not S1 unlocked in S2 Alpha)
Quote from tristancliffe :t's only the drifter wannabes that struggle... Mainly because they are poor at it.

Quote from tristancliffe :S1 Doesn't have tyre wear. How about using that? (The original S1, not S1 unlocked in S2 Alpha)

Doesn't have the S2 cars + tracks i paid for.. illepall
Drift in S1, Drive sensibly in S2 :P
Quote from tristancliffe :Drift in S1, Drive sensibly in S2 :P

or be open minded and bite me? I really respect you trist, but its arrogant purist talk like that that can be quite grating on the mind...:thumbsdow

tire wear mod?
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG