The online racing simulator
Equal-Setup Hotlaps?
(13 posts, started )
Equal-Setup Hotlaps?
I cannot believe this is not a problem for anyone else. I've searched for any kind of thread on this topic, but nothing.

Can there not be a way for everyone to have the same setup in hotlaps???

I didn't get this game because it was advertised as a tuning simulator, or a 'who-can-set-up-their-car-better' simulator. I play to drive, but I can never be truly competative without having a good setup. It's not like pro racing where I have my own team to setup the car. I'm just a dude who can drive, but has limited car setup knowledge.

Can their not be a way where during hotlaps, everyone has the exact same setup? That way, when you see somebody at the top of the timesheets, you know they are there because they are a superb driver, not because they know the best way to set up their car.

Anyone else agree?
Just look at F1. Would it look any fun if all teams would drive exactly same cars?
Quote from E.Reiljans :Just look at F1. Would it look any fun if all teams would drive exactly same cars?

Just look at IndyCar - everyone have same cars (of course with different setups),and the surprising thing for some people - it's waaaayyyy more fun than F1!

On topic - setup really is individual thing,some likes oversteery,some likes stable,some likes good grip at turns,some alter for top speed,it's not only performance thing when setting up car,but also taste! If you make all carse identic,could be that half of drivers won't be able to achieve his best performance.

But still - interesting thoughts by someone,who has 0km online distance and no uploaded hotlaps...
But that's exactly my point. In F1 and IndyCar, there is a driver, and then 20 people behind the scenes to build and set up the car. Its annoying that in order to be competative in the hotlaps I have to spend hours and hours learning how to set up a car, and then hours more actually doing all the fine tuning to set the car up. Time that I could be using to practice the actual lap.

I don't understand why I have to get an engineering degree in order to play a racing sim.

And as for having no registered hotlaps and 0 km online, I have a yet to be unresolved internet problem, so I can only play offline. Heck, I'm posting this messege with my smartphone.
#5 - amp88
Quote from H_Nielsen :Its annoying that in order to be competative in the hotlaps I have to spend hours and hours learning how to set up a car

You don't. Download setups from Setupgrid/Setupfield and put them in your <LFS>/data/setups folder. Fine tuning will help, but you should be able to find good settings to work from.
My knownloedge about setups is very limited, that's why in my team we have other people that knows what things need to be changed to be faster or to keep tires in optimum temperature.

This doesn't means that without a normal setup (use SO1 setup at SO4 for example, raceS is too generic) I can't fight for first places on public servers. Obviously if I want to be competitive in my league I need my teams help.
Quote from H_Nielsen :I don't understand why I have to get an engineering degree in order to play a racing sim.

Because this is a SIM! It simulates everything,even work on your cars settings,even for hotlap mode. Engineering degree is little too much,but yes - you have to understand,what the car is doing and how can you change it,so you can go faster. And if you have no idea how to do so - amp88 gave you good solution!
Quote from H_Nielsen :But that's exactly my point. In F1 and IndyCar, there is a driver, and then 20 people behind the scenes to build and set up the car. Its annoying that in order to be competative in the hotlaps I have to spend hours and hours learning how to set up a car, and then hours more actually doing all the fine tuning to set the car up. Time that I could be using to practice the actual lap.

I don't understand why I have to get an engineering degree in order to play a racing sim.

And as for having no registered hotlaps and 0 km online, I have a yet to be unresolved internet problem, so I can only play offline. Heck, I'm posting this messege with my smartphone.

Teach yourself. Experiment.

How do you think other people learned?

I started off just like you. I didn't have a clue. But I experimented and eventually became one of the best suspension tuners on my team.

The fact I eventually got an engineering degree is moot.
Quote from H_Nielsen :I cannot believe this is not a problem for anyone else. I've searched for any kind of thread on this topic, but nothing.

Can there not be a way for everyone to have the same setup in hotlaps???

I didn't get this game because it was advertised as a tuning simulator, or a 'who-can-set-up-their-car-better' simulator. I play to drive, but I can never be truly competative without having a good setup. It's not like pro racing where I have my own team to setup the car. I'm just a dude who can drive, but has limited car setup knowledge.

Can their not be a way where during hotlaps, everyone has the exact same setup? That way, when you see somebody at the top of the timesheets, you know they are there because they are a superb driver, not because they know the best way to set up their car.

Anyone else agree?

1) Go to http://www.lfsworld.net/rafa/
2) Load data for the WR of your choice
3) Check "setup info"
4) ...
5) Profit!

Okay, it won't give you the whole set(pressure, cambers, brake bias, wings, etc, are missing), but that's already a good start. There actually is a way to get full sets from any kind of hotlap, but it arguabily is on a dark grey area, pretty much close to what you would call "cheating".

If you want to get full sets in a legit way, follow amp's advice and go to setupfield/setupgrid. They have quite a lot of good hotlap/race sets. As a demo racer, you shouldn't worry much, there should be plenty of top sets for the combos you have access to, and if you havce the talent, you won't need any kind of set tweaking to get decent time. It gets slightly harder on S2 though, as you might struggle to get decent sets for exotic combos. Here the set tweaking skills come to have some importance. But you'll always get a decent base to start with, no worries.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Just look at F1. Would it look any fun if all teams would drive exactly same cars?

yes
Best drivers in history knew almost every detail about their cars setup possibilities... and used that knowledge to give information to mechanics that would setup the car... Senna talked to his mechanics more then he talked to his mother I guess... he knew what had to be changed to get the best performance out of his car...

So do you ... you don`t have to be nuclear physicist, but you have to (or should) know what setting does what... and you have to test it... everyone has different driving style, so same setup simply would not work for everyone... I know it from my own online experience... I got few setups from guys that were really fast... I wasnt ... I was much faster with my own setup...
I hate this kind of mentality, instead of pulling yourself up to the level of other players you want to pull them down to your level.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :I hate this kind of mentality, instead of pulling yourself up to the level of other players you want to pull them down to your level.

Precisely.

Equal-Setup Hotlaps?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG