The online racing simulator
Changing the way shifters work with LFS?
I have a 6-speed shifter I built for use with my driving rig and it works very well except for it has some minor problems with LFS.

All of the games I've used it with so far (GTR, GT Legends, etc) keep the car in gear once you click the shifter in place. You can move the shifter out of the gate and it'll stay in gear until you lock it back in another gate (it doesn't go into neutral when you move the shifter.)

In LFS it goes into neutral as soon as I move it which really sucks because if I put my hand on it in preperation for a shift or if I get too excited and bump the area with my leg it will drop out of gear and I have to put the clutch back in so it shifts back in... very irritating.

Aside form revising my shifter so it's much stiffer is there any way to just make LFS hold the gear you select until you hit another?
#2 - Woz
Quote from uRizen :I have a 6-speed shifter I built for use with my driving rig and it works very well except for it has some minor problems with LFS.

All of the games I've used it with so far (GTR, GT Legends, etc) keep the car in gear once you click the shifter in place. You can move the shifter out of the gate and it'll stay in gear until you lock it back in another gate (it doesn't go into neutral when you move the shifter.)

In LFS it goes into neutral as soon as I move it which really sucks because if I put my hand on it in preperation for a shift or if I get too excited and bump the area with my leg it will drop out of gear and I have to put the clutch back in so it shifts back in... very irritating.

Aside form revising my shifter so it's much stiffer is there any way to just make LFS hold the gear you select until you hit another?

So you are not happy because if you knock you shifter out of geart it goes into neutral as per real life?

Is it that GTR/GTL etc need to be updated so that neutral = neutral?
I'd say you've got it working perfectly. That's what happens, you knock the leve......It's no good, I can't go on.
I'm using an Act-Labs GPL usb shifter and LFS doesn't go in to neutral when I shift without using the clutch. I do hope you are using a manual clutch pedal?
I have an ACT-LABS shifter dealy, and it works fine. It detents into gear, so it holds the button down fine.

The issue I have with it, is that no combination of "throttle blip" and/or "cut on upshift" settings work.

If you have "throttle blip on downshift" set to ON, then it will blip on ALL shifts, because it can not distinguish which way you will shift. (as soon as the shifter goes to neutral it says "oh...shifting!" and hits the gas). The result is that you over rev on upshifts even if you physically lift your foot off the go-pedal. (and even if throttle-cut on upshifts is set to ON)

I dont find PC pedals to have enough feel to manually match revs for downshifts, so the "throttle blip" is a good feature, but it cannot be used with a gated shifter or the XRR goes to popcorn mode by the end of the race.
#6 - Vain
I also like it the way LFS works. I wouldn't like it to stick in a gear even though I pull it into neutral.

Vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG