The online racing simulator
Tidy up LFS control menu
(13 posts, started )
Tidy up LFS control menu
I've opened this thread in General Discussion forum although seems referring Improvement Suggestions, because present control menu in LFS doesn't reveal the control facilities what we got totally. All the keys and mouse control specs are listed in LFS Manual, but we can't see some of them in LFS weirdly. ATM control menu is the alphabet of any single sim or game, so options / controls menu should be updated.

BTW, Happy new year to all the LFS family.
#2 - nikka
Yes, your improvement suggestion is much better and much more important than other improvement suggestions, so this suggestion must be in the General LFS Discussion section instead of the Improvement Suggestions section.
Quote from ADX.14 :[...] control menu in LFS doesn't reveal the control facilities what we got totally. All the keys and mouse control specs are listed in LFS Manual, but we can't see some of them in LFS weirdly[...]

I personally find that the in-game settings are correctly placed already. All the necessary "keys" related stuff are available in-game. There would be way too much clutter to include everything (or at least most of the key-related commands) in-game.

All the additional control keys are available in the LFS Manual, where they rightfully should be.

I agree with nikka, obviously this thread should be in the improvement suggestions subforum. Plus keep the LFSF tidy.

E: Happy New Year!
Quote from nikka :Yes, your improvement suggestion is much better and much more important than other improvement suggestions, so this suggestion must be in the General LFS Discussion section instead of the Improvement Suggestions section.

Thanks for bold typing, this must help me to realize and understand pretty much.

Quote from Silverracer :I personally find that the in-game settings are correctly placed already. All the necessary "keys" related stuff are available in-game. There would be way too much clutter to include everything (or at least most of the key-related commands) in-game.

I see your approach and I thank you Silverracer. Think about tyres and suspensions. Those are given essentials and you can't find attached commands (F9 and F10). LFS is a sim and, a sim itself has complex structure and commands. I suggest you think a flight sim and its commands.

Instead of suggesting, the purpose of this thread is just reminding omitted/ignored point that we already have.
-
(DarkTimes) DELETED by DarkTimes
That's nearly the same as me, maybe?

I try attaching my G25 gear shifter button(s) to F9 to F12 for switching between and changing things, like pit stop options, ARB, etc.

These buttons can't be selected in the setting menu. Even though I can press button #xyz and it shows with his number.

I got shown this script guide from the LFS Manual, which would allow to use the buttons on the wheel instead of the F-buttons:

http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Script_Guide

I haven't gotten it fully yet... "Try and error", but I hate doing something I hardly understand and could harm more than not...
Man, that is so effing easy to solve. There are even two ways to make it work.
Once, you go into bindings (any) then set a bind as /press F9; then next to it you see Control binding, you press that and press a button on the shifter. If it doesnt work then
Twice, you go to the Logitech Profiler, select the button for your liking press on "Select a Keystroke", then press "Record", and you press for example F9 then press "Stop". With this one, only problem is that you will always have to start the game from the profiler (so select the game before you do anything in there), and for me it's kinda pain in the ass.
Quote from ADX.14 : Think about tyres and suspensions. Those are given essentials and you can't find attached commands (F9 and F10). LFS is a sim and, a sim itself has complex structure and commands.

I see your point, it would be better to have those shown in-game; maybe you (+others) can suggest the best way for Scavier to implement this? Should they show up under reserve keys in Options>Controls? Maybe somewhere better?

Quote from Swiss-Spirit :I try attaching my G25 gear shifter button(s) to F9 to F12 for switching between and changing things, like pit stop options, ARB, etc.

Kristi's first suggestion works fine. Its easy to configure too; Lets say you need to bind the buttons F9 to F12 on to the 4 four red buttons on the shifter. As Kristi mentioned, you can assign the following; under the CTRL+ binds - for CTRL+F9 type in "/press F9". For CTRL+F10 type in "/press F10" and so on... Then you only need to configure the binds to the buttons you need under Controls>CTRL+ (When you've selected Wheel/joystick).

Quote from ADX.14 :[...] the purpose of this thread is just reminding omitted/ignored point that we already have.

LFS got a lot of functionality built into it. Some racers are not aware of all the functions that makes their lives easier.

i.e. stuff like shift+z to show/hide mouse, pressing ctrl+x (x=0,1,2...8) to assign a colour to text (not only in chat and driver names, but also when naming skins and sets - colour code your sets to find them easier!), and then stuff like left clicking on the connection list brings up the driver name (makes easier to direct a chat message at a certain driver), right clicking on the connection list when holding down ctrl+shift brings up the driver's LFS Licence on to the chat (pressing home now would bring the cursor forward) making easier to enter InSim commands (i.e. !kick Silverracer, or specific server related commands...). I don't think some of the stuff like these are mentioned anywhere (in-game/manual) but passed from word of mouth or found on your own.

A reminder of the shortcuts and functionality commands won't go amiss. Hopefully at least one person would've learned a command or two.
Quote from Silverracer :I see your point, it would be better to have those shown in-game; maybe you (+others) can suggest the best way for Scavier to implement this? Should they show up under reserve keys in Options>Controls? Maybe somewhere better?

Kristi's first suggestion works fine. Its easy to configure too; Lets say you need to bind the buttons F9 to F12 on to the 4 four red buttons on the shifter. As Kristi mentioned, you can assign the following; under the CTRL+ binds - for CTRL+F9 type in "/press F9". For CTRL+F10 type in "/press F10" and so on... Then you only need to configure the binds to the buttons you need under Controls>CTRL+ (When you've selected Wheel/joystick).

Well, I'd love the F-Buttons to be indicated in the controls screen.

The way you mentioned: I'll try it out. What would be the command for the cross in the middle for up, down, left right?

Quote :CTRL+Arrow up "/press up"
CTRL+Arrow down "/press down"
CTRL+Arrow left "/press left"
CTRL+Arrow right "/press right"

Like this? Since I'd need to change reful amount for example.

Does this way work as good as if you'd normally press F9-F12 for pit stops, setup, etc.?
Quote from nikka :Yes, your improvement suggestion is much better and much more important than other improvement suggestions, so this suggestion must be in the General LFS Discussion section instead of the Improvement Suggestions section.

What did you get for christmas Nikka? Bummed?
Quote from Silverracer :

I tried that suggestion now.

Strg+F5 = /press up
Strg+F6 = /press down
Strg+F7 = /press left
Strg+F8 = /press right

(All these commands are now connected to the black d-pad on the gear shifter. Needed for when you change fuel amount, damage on /off, etc.)

Strg+F9 = /press F9
Strg+F10 = /press F10
Strg+F11 = /press F11
Strg+F12 = /press F12

Strg = Ctrl

(As suggested, these are now connected to the four black buttons on the shifter. The left button now indicates tyres, the upper one suspension/dampers, the right one ARB and brake bias and the bottom one indicates the pit stop strategy window.)

I've tried it and it works well Thanks for your help

I've placed /w wr and /w pb onto Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 and deleted 1-4 binds to not write something by mistake.

If there's a flaw in using this method, tell me.
#11 - Osco
I have the exact same binds to the G25 shifter buttons and it has been working fine for ages. Red buttons are for ignition, pit limiter, traction control and handbrake.
Quote from Osco :I have the exact same binds to the G25 shifter buttons and it has been working fine for ages. Red buttons are for ignition, pit limiter, traction control and handbrake.

I use them for(Left to right): Pit limiter, Ignition, Horn and Flash Light. Always gets a bit messy when switching to rF again

Dunno if the buttons also work in iR.

I would have used those binds earlier if I A knew how to do it and B If I wasn't that lazy and forgetting about it.
Tbh I couldn't find anything of the sort leading to these in the LFS Manual either, but thankfully I came across few posts by JasonJ who explained the possibility of using the "/press f9" sort of binds on the wheel buttons (without having to use the profiler).

Glad you got it sorted.

Spread the word!

Tidy up LFS control menu
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG