The online racing simulator
When in automatic gear, how to reverse ?
After a few years of inactivity, I installed LFS again. Unfortunately I have forgotten many things meanwhile and have to read the manual again from the very first beginning. Also, to get used again I decided to use automatic gear at first. Of course I will change to manual shifting after a while.
One thing that is not clear to me still is how I can reverse when I use automatic gears. Do I have to use the keyboard for that ?
I have a Logitech Momo Racing wheel btw.
Thanks in advance.
You can still assign the shift up and shift down buttons while being in automatic mode, and to get into reverse, you have to shift down twice while being in 1st.
That results from the Automatic Shifting actually being a computer system that shifts the gears for you, rather than a real automatic gearbox.
1. Turn off autoshifting! :slap:
2. Assign shift up to the right paddle on your wheel.
3. Assign shift down to the left paddle on your wheel.
4. Use the right paddle to shift up.
5. Use the right paddle to shift down.
6. If you want to go into reverse, just keep downshifting.

If you're any good, you won't ever need to use reverse.
Quote from Stefani24 :That results from the Automatic Shifting actually being a computer system that shifts the gears for you, rather than a real automatic gearbox.

How is it related to that? A real automatic doesn't magically know which direction you intend to go in, you have to tell it by either pressing the appropriate button or moving the lever to the correct position.
Perhaps you're thinking of a method commonly found in games, where the brake pedal acts as a reverse gas pedal. This is not the case with any real road car I know of, for fairly obvious reasons.
Quote from Forbin :1. Turn off autoshifting! :slap:
2. Assign shift up to the right paddle on your wheel.
3. Assign shift down to the left paddle on your wheel.
4. Use the right paddle to shift up.
5. Use the right paddle to shift down.
6. If you want to go into reverse, just keep downshifting.

If you're any good, you won't ever need to use reverse.

At second thought I think I will do that, so that I will learn shifting again asap.
But I assume that under 5) you meant "Use left paddle to shift down" ?

Btw, another question about shifting: Do any of you use the Shifter of the wheel (I mean the stick) instead of the paddles ? I tried to assign it but somehow it doesn't work well. When I push the stick forward I get the Exit menu of LFS.
Quote from morpha :How is it related to that? A real automatic doesn't magically know which direction you intend to go in, you have to tell it by either pressing the appropriate button or moving the lever to the correct position.
Perhaps you're thinking of a method commonly found in games, where the brake pedal acts as a reverse gas pedal. This is not the case with any real road car I know of, for fairly obvious reasons.

Yes, what was I thinking when I wrote this?
I somehow still had kickdown, and what an automatic gearbox does, rather than the system in games does in mind. Forgive me my idiotic mishap.
Quote from Ton van Rijn :At second thought I think I will do that, so that I will learn shifting again asap.
But I assume that under 5) you meant "Use left paddle to shift down" ?

You should always use the right paddle for the right action.

Kidding aside, yes, you are right.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG