The online racing simulator
Anyone running 5760 x 1080 + AA ?
(31 posts, started )
Is anyone running 5760 x 1080 + AA at all?

I am trying to with my Nvidia GTS250, 9300m and SoftTH but can't get good frame rates.

I can run 2x and get just under 30fps. 4x like 15fps, and 8x is completely unplayable.

If anyone is successful I am wondering what card do you have, SoftTH or eyefinity, and what level AA you can manage?

I am thinking of getting a 570GTX but only if it can get me 8x AA at this rez...

Cheers
#2 - 65D
Quote from djfatrod :Is anyone running 5760 x 1080 + AA at all?

I am trying to with my Nvidia GTS250, 9300m and SoftTH but can't get good frame rates.

I can run 2x and get just under 30fps. 4x like 15fps, and 8x is completely unplayable.

I am thinking of getting a 570GTX but only if it can get me 8x AA at this rez...

Do you really think with that kind of crap old graphics cards you are able to run 5760x1080?

If you want that, just buy two 480GTX's and for sure you will have 5760x1080 with 16x AA with over 40 fps at least.
Quote from djfatrod :Is anyone running 5760 x 1080 + AA at all?

I'm running 5040x1050 everything to the max inside LFS (iirc 8xFSAA 16AF)
I'm getting between 40 and 70 FPS while in an almost full server or watching a replay (depending on the track and the race situation)

I first used SoftTH with an Nvidia 8800GT + 6800GS which also worked without much problems. (not sure about the FPS I got with these cards but I never had probs while racing)
But I wanted to decrease the power consumption, the loudness and the heat inside my gaming PC so I switched for the first time in 19 years to an ATI card.

Atm I'm using a single ATI HD 5850 (fromAsus) @5040x1050 which runs pretty well and stays cool and quiet too
Quote from BBO@BSR :Atm I'm using a single ATI HD 5850 (fromAsus) @5040x1050 which runs pretty well and stays cool and quiet too

So you're running Eyefinity? I can't run eyefinity cause my monitors are different physical dimensions, and I need SoftTH to make the picture line up.

And you say you could run that res with an 8800GT? Cause GTS250 is basically the same card so I should get similar performance.

I am running the tweaks in this thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=537798 so maybe that is why I am taking such a performance hit...

65D - the GTS250 isn't that old. Based on the benchmarks I've seen the GTX570 only seems to be about 3 times the speed, but I need it to be about 6 times as fast...

What kind of FPS do you get without AA? What's your CPU? LFS is not really GPU intensive and I can run it at 1440x900 and 16xAA 16x AF and still be CPU-limited on my 9800M GTS and C2D T9550. Are other games running OK? Your GPU might not be cooling properly and throttling down under load...
Quote from MadCatX :What kind of FPS do you get without AA? What's your CPU? LFS is not really GPU intensive and I can run it at 1440x900 and 16xAA 16x AF and still be CPU-limited on my 9800M GTS and C2D T9550. Are other games running OK? Your GPU might not be cooling properly and throttling down under load...

CPU is a C2D E8400. I get around 70 with AA off. I also get around 70 with 1 monitor at 1920x1080 and AA on.

But bringing in the other two monitors seems to really tax the system.
Can you try it with LFS spanning across two screens (3840x1080 res) connected to GTS250? I'm wondering if it's the GPU having a hard time AAing such a large image or if it's the PCI-E bus what's bottlenecking you.

When using SoftTH the primary GPU does all the rendering and the framebuffer is then copied to the secondary GPU. It's a lot of data and the PCI-E bus might not be fast enough, especially if you have some other data-hungry devices on it...
Good suggestion, that might be worth a go.

I hope thats not the problem though cause if it is im screwed!
Apparently you can run SoftTH with a single ATI card so that might be the answer.
Quote : What kind of FPS do you get without AA? What's your CPU? LFS is not really GPU intensive and I can run it at 1440x900 and 16xAA 16x AF and still be CPU-limited on my 9800M GTS and C2D T9550. Are other games running OK? Your GPU might not be cooling properly and throttling down under load...

If you are losing frames through adding monitors and AA / AF, you are GPU bound. Your CPU is not doing more calculations when you up the resolution; your GPU is. It is probably lack of memory bandwidth, memory, or a slow bus which is causing this problem for you. I ran 3x 1280 x 1024 on a 7600GT, which is one fourth the power of a G80 (~ GTS 250) whilst getting 72 FPS (not sure if Vsync was on or not). I was also running a E2180 @ 3GHz, which is still loads slower than the E8400 even at stock.

You probably have something configured wrong to get something like 30FPS albeit @ 2x. Drivers? Bloat-ware? Faulty card? Faulty cooling? Maybe you have some pr0n viruses on your computer
Quote from MadCatX :Can you try it with LFS spanning across two screens (3840x1080 res) connected to GTS250? I'm wondering if it's the GPU having a hard time AAing such a large image or if it's the PCI-E bus what's bottlenecking you.

When using SoftTH the primary GPU does all the rendering and the framebuffer is then copied to the secondary GPU. It's a lot of data and the PCI-E bus might not be fast enough, especially if you have some other data-hungry devices on it...

Thing is, his FPS drops when he increases AA, so fb data copied to another card would still be of same size as when it works ~well (no AA)
That's why I suggested the two-screen-only test. The framedrop he suffers is pretty much extreme and I don't think that the AA can account for it. Even at 5760x1080 he should be CPU-limited with GTS250. He also didn't tell us what FPS he gets at 5760x1080 with no AA, so it's really kinda hard to tell...
Quote from MadCatX :That's why I suggested the two-screen-only test. The framedrop he suffers is pretty much extreme and I don't think that the AA can account for it. Even at 5760x1080 he should be CPU-limited with GTS250. He also didn't tell us what FPS he gets at 5760x1080 with no AA, so it's really kinda hard to tell...

I listed the frame rates above, with and without AA.

But I just realised that it actually differes between tracks anyway.

I was just testing a replay of south city, with about 10 cars in it:

No AA = 50 FPS
2x = 40 FPS
4x = 30 FPS
8x = 2 FPS

Note I am running nHancer and have some high AA settings in there (listed in the thread above).

This is only a 512mb card too so maybe it is low memory.
You can see the graphic card memory usage in the LFS >> options >> graphics menu.
I have everything maxed on hi res textures + bloom (/skins@512) and barely reach 250MB

If it is on any help I also have Intel E8400. So I can do some comparisions for you when changing AA/AF in tripple screen with that CPU. I've been testing with 4230x900, cause I had 3x19" collecting dust.
E8400, GTX295, 4GB Ram

At Rear of grid w 10 AI: FO8
South City Chicane(R), all graphics settings at full
Full AI skin pack all 1024
+ Transpareny AA:Supersampling
+ Bloom mod running (loss of ~8FPS)
+ 3 Screen rendered seperately @ 60 deg.

4320x900 8AA 16AF 72FPS
4320x900 0AA 0AF 79FPS

1440x900 8AA 16AF 90FPS
1440x900 0AA 0AF 94FPS

Mind you, this GPU card has tripple screen support built in. Just posting all this really so you have some idea what your CPU should be able to do. Without the AI on max details @4320x900 it will sit in around 140FPS. I need a new CPU before I try @3x1080. Just be forewarned, once you try smooth tripple screen racing you can't go back to single.
Thanks Jason,

Are your monitors capable of 1080? Cause i'd be keen to see how that goes too.

I was running a similar res to you before i got two new side monitors, and i think i had fps around the 70 mark then.
No sorry, they are 1440x900 19" native and won't go higher. It's not much, but they were free monitors so was worth the effort. Also my GTX295 can't do 5760x1080 as it's limit is 2560x1600 in total pixels. (Which is just above my 4320x900)

To go above that I need 3 new monitors and new MB/CPU/RAM/GPU so won't be doing that for a while.

Just wanted to show you though how much the frame rate drops when you tripple it - 20% in my case. Your CPU should be able to handle this resolution. Looks like you've hit the GPU limits. If your only on 70fps on a single screen then tripple is gonna take you well below 60fps, especially at 1080. Try reduce your resolution to 1280x720 (3840x720) at 4xAA you might get a happy medium until you figure something out.

Before you go buy a gtx570 just check you don't actually need 2 of them in SLi to use 3 screens. I think you do.
Thanks dude.

I'm actually looking at an ATI card now. Apparently you can run SoftTH instead of Eyefinity so that should sort me out.
Got a single hd 5850. At 5760x1080, LFS maxed out, got anything between 100 and 200 fps depending on the situation, so no need getting GTX 570 or dual 460s or anything that expensive. Only a 32 F1 car grid gets me into the 50s.
do you guys know if the GTX470 has triple screen support built in? i'm looking on forums but it's a lot of info to go through for such and small question. if someone could give me a heads up please.
thanks.

EDIT: found it.
dadge, you should rather get EVGA's edition of GTX 570 with DisplayPort support - this way you can have 6 and more monitors using just 1 GPU output.
Quote from E.Reiljans :dadge, you should rather get EVGA's edition of GTX 570 with DisplayPort support - this way you can have 6 and more monitors using just 1 GPU output.

yeah, but i already have the GTX470. i was just wondering.
Quote from dadge :yeah, but i already have the GTX470. i was just wondering.

So is it capable of 3x screens by itself? I imagined you needed two cards in SLi, but I'm not sure.
Quote from JasonJ :So is it capable of 3x screens by itself? I imagined you needed two cards in SLi, but I'm not sure.

they need SLI. it's a shame really. but in order for me to use 3 monitors i'd have to go out and buy 2 extra monitors...."idea sacked" lol
Thanks for the reply. BTW tripple screen is totally freaking amazing if in doubt, but looks a bit crap in games that don't properly support bezel management and viewing angles.
aye. ideally, i'd love to get 3x32" tv/monitors. but you're looking at close to £1000 for the 3 of them. projectors are becoming really affordable too. could be worth a look (no bezels to worry about).

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG