The online racing simulator
Graphics Issues (was : Downloading Issues)
Probably a n00b question.

ive been playing this game for a while from work, every day.

finally got internet at home so i downloaded lfs, and when i open theres an error and it says theres "could not detect any suitable screen modes"

and the message in that box says "probable error in graffics driver"

i used the search. didnt help lol.

its running on windows xp

thank you!
from work? good for you

and try to delete the cfg files
haha yea man i dont do anything at work so might as well download something fun lol.

and hmm should probably know this since im a computer assistant and all, but how do i do that?? lol
#4 - amp88
Quote from purpsalad :
finally got internet at home so i downloaded lfs, and when i open theres an error and it says theres "could not detect any suitable screen modes"

and the message in that box says "probable error in graffics driver"

Do you have graphics drivers installed on the machine?

Quote from logitekg25 :and try to delete the cfg files

How many problems do you think can be solved by deleting config files?
again no idea. i can download and play any other game on this computer just fine, except for this one lol
#6 - amp88
Quote from purpsalad :im a computer assistant and all

Quote from purpsalad :again no idea. i can download and play any other game on this computer just fine, except for this one lol

Hmm, what qualifications do you need to become a "computer assistant and all"?

What other games do you play?

Press Windows Key + R, type "dxdiag" and hit enter. In the display that comes up select the tab titled "Display" or "Display 1" and click on "Test DirectDraw". If that completes successfully try "Test Direct3D". Report back.
lol dont hate. as long as you can do simple office tasks and help out student with class related issues you're fine. im basically a microsoft office tutor and know all that office crap up and down.

and this might be the issue. i cant 3D test. why would that be?

answer: i need a hardwaremanufacturer video driver? i think i know where i can find it

and as for what other games i play; random flight simulators. alot of random flight simulators.
well i know the same error message comes up when the wrong resolution is set in the cfg file...and theres a card_cfg file with card info, so whats the harm in deleting both

and in the LFS folder there are files with CFG in the name, just try deleting those
#9 - amp88
Quote from purpsalad :and this might be the issue. i cant 3D test. why would that be?

answer: i need a hardwaremanufacturer video driver? i think i know where i can find it

You need to have both a graphics driver for your video card (integrated or discrete graphics) and DirectX in order to run LFS. Do you know whether you have integrated graphics or a discrete graphics card? Do you know who manufactured the integrated/discrete graphics? If not you can try going back to the DxDiag application from before and looking in the Display tab for details.

Quote from purpsalad :and as for what other games i play; random flight simulators. alot of random flight simulators.

I'm surprised you can run those but can't run LFS. It could be that your current DirectX version is too low, but I'd be surprised.

Quote from logitekg25 :well i know the same error message comes up when the wrong resolution is set in the cfg file

Are you sure about that? If I set the resolution in my "cfg.txt" file to something my monitor can't handle but my graphics card can LFS reverts back to something both my monitor and graphics card can handle. If I set it to something neither my graphics card nor monitor can handle it does exactly the same thing (i.e. reverts to something both can handle). I wonder why your LFS installation is behaving differently...?

Quote from logitekg25 :...and theres a card_cfg file with card info, so whats the harm in deleting both

Because deleting config files doesn't address the problem here (first time trying to run LFS and getting an error because of missing or outdated graphics driver / DirectX). Yes, there are certain situations where deleting some cfg files can solve problems, but just because you once solved an issue by deleting cfg files doesn't mean you should recommend it to everyone with any issue (take a look through your posting history and see how many times you've suggested blindly deleting cfg files and how many times it's actually helped).
^^well i tried figuring out what i have but everything says not available (n/a) on the display tab under device.
Quote from purpsalad :^^well i tried figuring out what i have but everything says not available (n/a) on the display tab under device.

Try GPU-Z.
i believe i suggested twice

and in the regular cfg file, that was what mine was having issues with. the resolution was changed and lfs couldnt accept that, it diddnt have to do with my card, so my card_cfg file had no say, but in this case it could have been the card (it was?)
Quote from logitekg25 :i believe i suggested twice

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1525430#post1525430
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1494277#post1494277
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1439772#post1439772

edit: The point is that you keep suggesting something that doesn't work.

Quote from logitekg25 :and in the regular cfg file, that was what mine was having issues with. the resolution was changed and lfs couldnt accept that, it diddnt have to do with my card, so my card_cfg file had no say, but in this case it could have been the card (it was?)

(Re) read this:

Quote from amp88 :Are you sure about that? If I set the resolution in my "cfg.txt" file to something my monitor can't handle but my graphics card can LFS reverts back to something both my monitor and graphics card can handle. If I set it to something neither my graphics card nor monitor can handle it does exactly the same thing (i.e. reverts to something both can handle). I wonder why your LFS installation is behaving differently...?

Now, go to your LFS directory, open your "cfg.txt" file, find the line beginning with "Screen Info" and change the last 2 values to something that you know neither your monitor nor your graphics card can handle (e.g. 9999 9999). Save the file and start LFS. What happens? Do you get an error dialog saying LFS can't run? Or does it just silently change the display mode to something it knows both your graphics card and monitor can handle?

edit: I used the incorrect filename in this post initially and in the post above. I have corrected the mistake in both this post and the post above.
whats my validation id. sorry. i seriously dont get any of this stuff. lol
Quote from amp88 :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1525430#post1525430
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1494277#post1494277
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1439772#post1439772

Now this must be what being bored in the deep night feels like

C'mon guys, this isn't gonna help him.

@purpsalad: What are the specs of the troublesome computer? Chances are the VGA driver isn't properly installe or that computer doesn't have DirectX 8 compliant graphics card at all. If you're not sure about the PC specs, Everest or SiSoft Sandra can help you get the info we need...
Quote from purpsalad :whats my validation id. sorry. i seriously dont get any of this stuff. lol

Don't worry about validation. Just leave it at the "Graphics Card" tab. Take a screenshot of that tab and upload it here.

If you don't know how to do that make sure GPU-Z is the active window (click on it) then hold the Alt key on your keyboard and press the Print Screen key (can also be labelled Prt Scr or Print Scr or similar). Now open some image editing software (e.g. MS Paint) and press Ctrl + V. Save the image as a PNG, create a new post here and click on the "Manage attachments" button. Click the top "Browse" button, locate the image you saved above, double click on it and then press the "Upload" button. Wait for it to finish uploading (should be done in a few seconds) and create the post. Then we should be able to see what graphics you have and be able to help you out.

Quote from MadCatX :Now this must be what being bored in the deep night feels like

C'mon guys, this isn't gonna help him.

It may not help this person directly (though I have been trying to do that from the start), but it could help other people down the line if logitekg25 can start giving better advice. Imagine if you downloaded a new piece of software and were having problems using it. You went to the official forum for the software and asked for help with your problem. Someone with several thousand posts and a join date about 18 months ago answers your request but they give a nonsense answer that doesn't help. How would that make you feel about the software and its users?
its a good place to start, cause problems can arise there...and sorry for trying to help, its not like i can diagnose the problems of the game on random computers
Quote from logitekg25 :its a good place to start, cause problems can arise there

What kind of problems? Also, for what kind of users (e.g. first time users and long term users)?

Quote from logitekg25 :...and sorry for trying to help, its not like i can diagnose the problems of the game on random computers

If you know you can't help why would you try? By giving bad advice you're either not going to help or you're actually going to do more harm.
i dont even know anymore.
Given that the OP is currently online it looks like the problem is fixed (unless he's just racing from work again...).
Attached images
op_online.PNG

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG