The online racing simulator
Tyre "barriers" are they needed?
Do we still need all the free standing tyres on the tracks? Some of them are useful such as on the FE chicane, but the straight and sweeping corners after that (FE black and gold) dont really need tyres, there's no way of cutting the corners successfuly, and then when someone spins and hits the tyres, the tyres end up on the track and cause more accidents.

In some of the slower cars you can normally get out of the way. But with any high speed car, especially the BF1 the tyre barriers dont help ...
good point, we should probably spot all the 'useless' tires though, because like you said, some are .. really required or else it would be a mess, but there are multiple places where they serve no purpose (imo)
If there are no tyres on FF Gold I will just drive straight into T2

How can you say this are useless?
er..some tires are pointless, i think your referring to the wrong ones

majority of worthless tires are in FE green (obviusly including fe black) like the sweeping turn after the hard turn infront of the hill, there are just tire.... everywhere in the grass there on... the inside.. er.. right

also, on fe gold alot of the sweeping turns after the chicane.. are.. well, worthless, because i doubt anyone would cut those corners like that (would loose alot of time in any car..)
Yes there are tyres such as the ones at the chicanes on FE that should be kept, but there are pointless ones ... this has already been said ... just look at the pics, there are more but i dont need to show all of them, and this is just Fern Bay, Westfield also has quite a few. These are corners that arent exactly possible to cut, so is there a need for the tyres

The third picture, this is on a straight, but often people run wide from the chicane and bring the tyres onto the track ...
Attached images
tyres.jpg
tyres1.jpg
tyres2.jpg
tyres3.jpg
Yeah but still why. That looks like nice detail to it to me. No other sim has moving objects in yet.
^^^ Yup.

Actually we really need some more tyres, especially at the dreaded chicane on KY GP Long.
i kinda agree, but i think in some places.. its just to much

as for the kygp chicane..er.. lets not, that would make an even bigger mess causing more crashes
Quote from AndroidXP :^^^ Yup.

Actually we really need some more tyres, especially at the dreaded chicane on KY GP Long.

I agree, i really hate it if chicanes can be cut, but i don' think it should be solved by using more tyres.

I' m more thinking about the the simple " cheat"system of GP2. If you cut a corner in grand prix 2(very old i know) you would loose for 10 seconds 80% engine power. This would allow you to stay on track at a save speed but never get an advantage of cutting an chicane or corner. Also the curbstones can be lowered to make racing saver and more fun because if somebody would cut the chicane too much he will loose power.
Quote from XCNuse :as for the kygp chicane..er.. lets not, that would make an even bigger mess causing more crashes

Then players need to adjust, really. That chicane totally ruins KY GP for me because of how unrealistic it has to be taken to drive competitive laptimes. Until we have a proper cutting/black flag penalty system, tyres will have to do.

PS: Speaking of that chicane, it's really messed anyways. Try to drive up slowly with the BF1 (and by slowly I mean like 5 km/h) and just clip the inner side of the chicane. There's a little ledge and if you drive over it it makes the car jump around crazily. If you manage to drive "against" that ledge and scrub around, you can watch your suspension getting bent and it breaks within a few seconds.

I think that's also the reason that sometimes you can cut the chicane extremely without problems and sometimes you end up with a bent suspension or get thrown off track for what seems like no reason at all.
Real tracks are NOT lined with loose tires anywhere except (occasionally) in harpins.

Real life alternatives:

1. Sunken tires - don't fly around.
2. Marker posts
3. Cones
4. Nasty kerbs

... and the last part that's missing is the damage model still doesn't really exsist yet.
Yes, but in real life drivers don't cut corners because they'll either die, get injured, get fined, get told off, damage the car, or bet banned. Only the last two are applicable in LFS, and one requires more sensitve damage the other a ridiculous amount of admin awareness.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, but in real life drivers don't cut corners because they'll either die, get injured, get fined, get told off, damage the car, or bet banned. Only the last two are applicable in LFS, and one requires more sensitve damage the other a ridiculous amount of admin awareness.

LOL- good point.. kind of obvious and I am amazed people don't see that.. The last set of pics for instance- I can see why they put them there. All of them serve the no-cutting purpose.
Yeah but I still think its looking cool

btw. Can anybody recall the track Enna from GTR? Doesnt it have some solid barricades in the first series of corners where you can end your race easy? Arent this tyre walls to? I would imagine they would fly in real life also if hit with such speed.
#15 - Swat
if they are not going to remove the tyres, at least make them seperate when you hit them, i dont think ive ever seen 4 stacked tires fall over and stay together illepall
Quote from Swat :if they are not going to remove the tyres, at least make them seperate when you hit them, i dont think ive ever seen 4 stacked tires fall over and stay together illepall

Thats how they are in real life, they are usually held together. My local kart track use big bolts and spacers through the side wall to hold piles of 3 or 4 together.

Keiran
Quote :i dont think ive ever seen 4 stacked tires fall over and stay

Yup, they should stick together. Although it could be quite fun for a demolition derby if they didn't! Just think of the carnage you could cause ! ...
ya they are held together with wood and huge bolts

my dad told me once that when he was racing he saw a snake come out of one of them (since they are filled with water and never dumped out from the rain) and after the race saw some in some other ones

.. otherwise, they would have the same problem we do.... there would be a huge pile of tires that everyone would have to go through and probably risk the rest of the race if they hit one
a snake. lol. Did he hit the snake?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG