The online racing simulator
Jenson Button Carjacked
(17 posts, started )
Jenson Button Carjacked
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11704802

Christ

Quote :
Armed attackers have targeted British Formula One driver Jenson Button in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo, his McLaren racing team have confirmed.His car was attacked, but Button was unhurt, McLaren said.
Button had been in practice for the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos, and will start 11th on the grid.

Brazil's major cities have a bad record for serious crimes of violence, which have caused concern ahead of major events like the 2014 World Cup. "Would-be assailants made an attempt to approach the car that was carrying Jenson Button" on Saturday, said the statement from McLaren.

Button was quickly driven away by an armed policemen in the reinforced armoured vehicle provided by McLaren, Reuters news agency reports."The police driver of Jenson's vehicle reacted swiftly and, using avoidance techniques, rapidly forced his way through the traffic, taking Jenson and the other occupants of the car immediately away from any danger and back to their hotel," McLaren said.

question, how is that carjacking?

carjacking is where you force someone out of their car, and then proceed to steal it... the article says "someone approached his car"... big whoop?
Quote from bunder9999 :question, how is that carjacking?

carjacking is where you force someone out of their car, and then proceed to steal it... the article says "someone approached his car"... big whoop?

Yeah big whoop that guys with guns tried to steal his car OR make an attempt at his life. Not even news worthy!

I bet his driver gave a better performance than Jenson did today.
Quote from mcintyrej :Yeah big whoop that guys with guns tried to steal his car OR make an attempt at his life. Not even news worthy!

then why don't they just come out and say that? i seriously hate the bbc.
#6 - DeKo
Quote from mcintyrej :Yeah big whoop that guys with guns tried to steal his car OR make an attempt at his life. Not even news worthy!

Of course it's newsworthy, but not under a 'OMG JENSON BUTTON CARJACKED, NEARLY KILLED DEAD' headline that isn't at all factually correct.
#7 - 5haz
Sure does make a profitable headline though.

Must be awful being so anally retentive, you must get bugged by so many little things in life.
Quote from 5haz :Must be awful being so anally retentive, you must get bugged by so many little things in life.

you referring to me? yeah, i'm a bitter person most of the time.
#9 - 5haz
Quote from bunder9999 :you referring to me? yeah, i'm a bitter person most of the time.

Come on now its only a news headline, don't let it get to you.
Quote from JPeace :Well Button was saying in the build up to the Qualifying that the crowd last year where very hostile to him, and the year before that they where hostile towards Hamilton. Brazil is very passionate about their sport, its just a shame the Brazilians in F1 today are not good enough to provide them with the glory that they had way back.

That's not passion, that's just being a bunch of twats.
Quote from JPeace :Coming from England, I know exactly what that kind of behavior is

So coming from England apparantly means you know the passion that is within the Brazilians.

I learn something new everyday.
Quote from PMD9409 :So coming from England apparantly means you know the passion that is within the Brazilians.

I learn something new everyday.

I think he meant he knew all about people being twats.
I know, but you don't have to come from England to know that, they're all over!
Quote from PMD9409 :I know, but you don't have to come from England to know that, they're all over!

Amen.
I read that as, being an Englishman he knows all about people being a bunch of twats about sport because of the football hooliganism that happens here.
But I still see your point
Firstly, the BBC's actual title was "Jenson Button unhurt after armed men threaten him", which seems pretty un sensationalist to me.

However, I do question their assertion that he was "targetted". Whilst it's very likely that the robbers, (because that's exactly what they were), were lying in wait in that particular location because they knew it was a route to the circuit, (and only pretty rich people can afford F1 tickets in Brasil), in order to rob people on their way to and from it, I find it hard to believe they were waiting for Jensen specifically. For one how would they know when he was likely to be passing by?

Secondly, this event has absolutely zero to do with the passion of the Brasilian nation for F1 as a sport. Armed robberies are widespread and occur on multiple occasions every day in Sao Paulo, (as does real car jacking). Apart from the fact that rich F1 fans are more likely to be targets than average people just walking down the street, this event has nothing to do with F1. Sao Paulo is a violent city. Violent crime is endemic there, (as it is in many other towns/cities in Brasil).
#17 - DeKo
Quote from gezmoor :Firstly, the BBC's actual title was "Jenson Button unhurt after armed men threaten him", which seems pretty un sensationalist to me.

No it wasn't, at the time the headline was "Jenson Button Carjacked", the headline has now obviously been changed.

Jenson Button Carjacked
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG