The online racing simulator
GIMP Help
(19 posts, started )
GIMP Help
Hi.

I've downloaded the GIMP setup and installed it but whenever I open up GIMP it gets stuck on 'Looking For Data Files (Fonts this may take a while). I click on the GIMP window then it says Not Responding and I have to close it. I use Windows 7.

EDIT: Ok. I tried it on my laptop which is on Windows XP and it worked fine. Is there a version that works on Windows 7?

Thanks in Advance
Quote from Killer Beast :Is there a version that works on Windows 7?

Which version are you using? Latest versions should work on 7s without any issues.

Did it work at least once? Its said that the "Looking for Data Files" will take a very long time, during the first startup.

If all else fail, try running it as XP compatibility mode.
Im using 2.6.11. For some reason it worked today. Thanks Silver. Also on GIMP (im using uf1 master skinnerz pro kit) whenever i choose the front layer I fill it with a bucket but the bumper doesn't go white only the main part of the front. Also the same with the rear and sides.
Simple, You have to...

Okay, Rewording, You need to use fuzzy select ( Or the magic stick or whatever ) And click that part in the bumper, Then fill it with white, The black mask would stop it because it's a radical change in colors.
-
(Alive Ghost) DELETED by Alive Ghost
Quote from TehPaws3D :Simple, You have to...

Okay, Rewording, You need to use fuzzy select ( Or the magic stick or whatever ) And click that part in the bumper, Then fill it with white, The black mask would stop it because it's a radical change in colors.

Thats not worked...Its still grey like in my previous post.
Have a look at the layers (can't remember how the layers were seperated) there might be a "Bumpers" layer visible on top of the front and rear layers. Shift+L to toggle on/off the layers.

Either turn off the Bumpers layer (or whatever its called) by clicking the eye icon next to the name, or simply use the fill bucket tool to paint the bumpers + the bumper's bit on the sides.

E: Same goes for the roof bit on the sides: Look for the roof/top layer to paint that bit.
Quote from Silverracer :Have a look at the layers (can't remember how the layers were seperated) there might be a "Bumpers" layer visible on top of the front and rear layers. Shift+L to toggle on/off the layers.

Either turn off the Bumpers layer (or whatever its called) by clicking the eye icon next to the name, or simply use the fill bucket tool to paint the bumpers + the bumper's bit on the sides.

E: Same goes for the roof bit on the sides: Look for the roof/top layer to paint that bit.

No there's only front,rear, sides etc not a bumpers layer. On the thumbnails for the layers it shows that the bumpers are filled in (white) but on the actual file it isn't like that and in CMX Viewer it's also not white.
Hmm.. Can you please upload a screenshot of the skin in GIMP with the all the layers turned on and all the layers in the layer-toolbox visible?
Quote from Silverracer :Hmm.. Can you please upload a screenshot of the skin in GIMP with the all the layers turned on and all the layers in the layer-toolbox visible?

I cant fit all the layers into the toolbox at once
Anyway
Should be able to drag the side of the tool box to incrase it's length. Anyway, unless someone spots it first, I'll get back home and open up the MS Prokit and have a look at the .psd file on how its layered...
Select the "Front deflector" It has some bump draft blocker thing on the UFR, So that's what you need to select to paint it. Same for rear deflector. The other options should be very easy.. It says " Roof only" And only shows that part of the roof, You need to find the side parts to paint that.
Quote from TehPaws3D :Select the "Front deflector" It has some bump draft blocker thing on the UFR, So that's what you need to select to paint it. Same for rear deflector. The other options should be very easy.. It says " Roof only" And only shows that part of the roof, You need to find the side parts to paint that.

Thanks! That worked a treat! A new problem. When I stop moving a object and the moving lines around it disappear how can i move that object again? Thanks
Quote from Killer Beast :Thanks! That worked a treat! A new problem. When I stop moving a object and the moving lines around it disappear how can i move that object again? Thanks

If by object you mean a logo,text, stripe etc then make a new layer first (Click Layer > New Layer in the top toolbar) and rename it to Logos or whatever, make sure that the layer is near the top of you layer list, just under the black mask and wireframe layers, do this by clicking and holding the logos layer and dragging it up (or down) the layer list. If you place it below the car paint layers then it will not be visible.

Now use this layer to add all your logos (and nothing else) then when you want to move a logo simply left click and drag a box around the one you want to move then cut it (ctrl X) then paste it back on (Ctrl C) you can now move it around again.

The reason for using separate layers like this is it keeps all the logos detached from the actual colours on your skin.

Same applies if you use a bodykit or shadow layer, always keep them in separate layers this way you can edit any part (the base colour, logo, kit etc) individually without it affecting the other parts. Hope this helps
Thanks but for one object do I have to make a seperate layer? So if i have 2 logos and want to move them individually do i have to make another layer for each logo? If i put all of the logos onto 1 layer then they all move at the same time.

Thanks
Nah, you can keep all the logos in one layer. Select the layer where the logo you want to edit, use the rectangle, free select or eclipse tool to select the logo and cut-paste it. That would make the logo "float" on your logo-layer so you are free to move/resize/rotate.

Dont forget to constantly save your work (in .xcf format) as you go along. GIMP has a nasty habit of freezing up and making me loose work!
Quote from Silverracer :Nah, you can keep all the logos in one layer. Select the layer where the logo you want to edit, use the rectangle, free select or eclipse tool to select the logo and cut-paste it. That would make the logo "float" on your logo-layer so you are free to move/resize/rotate.

Dont forget to constantly save your work (in .xcf format) as you go along. GIMP has a nasty habit of freezing up and making me loose work!

I select the logo with the rectangle like you said and cut and paste it but how do you get rid of the old logo that is still there?

Thanks for all the help btw guys.
Np, happy to help. When you "cut" (ctrl+x) it, the old logo should be removed. It would reappear when you paste (ctrl+v). Are you sure you cut-pasted (maybe you copy-pasted?)

FYI, copy-pasting (ctrl+c) is useful when pasting multiple stickers etc.
Quote from Silverracer :Np, happy to help. When you "cut" (ctrl+x) it, the old logo should be removed. It would reappear when you paste (ctrl+v). Are you sure you cut-pasted (maybe you copy-pasted?)

FYI, copy-pasting (ctrl+c) is useful when pasting multiple stickers etc.

LOOOL. I did copy paste :tit: Thanks
Also how can i remove the white background from logo's?
Quote from Killer Beast :Also how can i remove the white background from logo's?

Open up the logo, select the fuzzy select tool and click the white area. On complicated logos - select more white areas by holding the Shift key as you click. Take the erase tool and get rid of the white... However, the following is a bit easier to get the logo into the skin...

Once all the white area is selected, right click on the image and choose Select > Invert. CTRL+C and then go on to paste it in your logos layer...

You can set the threshold on the fuzzy select tool.

Its not the best method, but it (somewhat) works... Best to start off with a higher quality logo. Go for a high quality .png if you can find them...

GIMP Help
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG