Where would you go to study?
(30 posts, started )

Poll : Where would you study?

Finland - Vaasa
Estonia - Tallinn
Latvia - Riga
#1 - majod
i need to help to decide where to go study...i have only basic informations about those countries, so advices from people who live there would be very helpful

edit: im studying computer science BC degree...and i can choose only from Tallinna Tehnikaülikool, Vaasan Yliopisto and Rigas Tehniska Universitäte
#2 - Fuse5
All depends on what you want to study
#3 - Agniz
Yeah, we need to know what do you want to study.
If economics (very popular here for last 10 years), then I recommend Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (best business school in Baltics). At second place: University of Latvia - Economics and Management faculty (studying there atm).
Don't know anything about schools in Estonia or Finland
#4 - Fuse5
Quote from Agniz :Yeah, we need to know what do you want to study.
If economics (very popular here for last 10 years), then I recommend Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (best business school in Baltics). At second place: University of Latvia - Economics and Management faculty (studying there atm).
Don't know anything about schools in Estonia or Finland

Oh so its time to start fighting already?
#5 - Agniz
Umm, looks like I wrote something wrong. Actually SSE Riga is best business school in Baltics, maybe because its owned by Sweden and is just physical located in Riga and it is, how to say, subsidiary company of Stockholm School of Economics which is located in Sweden. And about University of Latvia - maybe I didn't write it properly, but it's not like UoL is second best in Baltics, it's second best in Latvia, in my opinion, because as I said, I don't know anything much about other universities in Baltics.
#6 - Jakg
What course?
#7 - majod
sorry, first post edited
Is there any particular reason for you to consider only these three universities? It really depends on what you'd like to study, but I'm sure there are universities with quite good reputation much closer to Slovakia than those you mentioned...
Quote from majod :and i can choose only from Tallinna Tehnikaülikool, Vaasan Yliopisto and Rigas Tehniska Universitäte

May I ask why is that, 'cause there are great technical universities in Germany like TUM or, dare I say it, even CTU has quite some reputation
erasmus, man my uni faculty has partnership only with those three, some czech, hungarian, polish unis - i want to see the world so im not interested in those...also theres italy, spain, france, holand but they have no courses in english
Damn, I really can't choose which univeristy to go to, hmmmmmmmm......not a problem a LFS forum vote wont sort out!

LFS - Helping you race towards a brighter future
Oh I see teh Rasmus thing is a two-way contract between universities.

Personally I'd go to Finland coz I live there. On the other hand I wouldn't go to Vaasa because their website is full of irrelevant stuff and you can't really tell what it's like judging by it.

Also they can't spell apparently. Seems like a rubbish uni -.-
TTÜ is pretty nice, its ****ing huge, has its own campus on location and is generally the 2nd largest uni in estonia.. living here is cheap, and fortunately or unfortunately, if you speak russian, you will have no problems around Tallinn in any shops or services
Quote from Fuse5 :living here is cheap, and fortunately or unfortunately, if you speak russian, you will have no problems around Tallinn in any shops or services

thats the info i need thank you
i cant speak russian (although russians would understand my language), english only...
but the poll sucks, vaasa has most votes, without any explenetaion and its the smallest and coldest city (and i think its the most expensive) of those three
As far as I know, in Rīgas Tehniskā Universitāte, there are not courses in english, only in our language. Maybe there are some special courses only for ERASMUS students, I don't know. RTU's dorms are located near to city centre, where most of clubs and pubs are, so it will be easy to reach party/drinking area.
Quote from majod :
but the poll sucks, vaata has most votes, without any explenetaion and its the smallest and coldest city (and i think its the most expensive) of those three

Unlike the other two cities you're less likely to get stabbed.

What kind of scolarship or grant have you got from your Uni / government? Finland isn't really that expensive as student housing foundations offer cheap flats and you can get a discount for almost anything with a student card.
Quote from hyntty :Unlike the other two cities you're less likely to get stabbed.

Yeah you're more likely to get shot while at school instead

But yeah, well plenty of Erasmus students here... So the courses should be in english, and yeah you should get along with english as well. I was just saying that if you spoke russian, you'd have no problems at all!
Don't come to finland, you will just find yourself depressed and eventually kill yourself
Quote :What kind of scolarship or grant have you got from your Uni / government? Finland isn't really that expensive as student housing foundations offer cheap flats and you can get a discount for almost anything with a student card.

im not very sure about that, afaik erasmus gives you grant for a semester about 1500-2000€ depending on a country i choose and study should be for free...i have to ask few competent people to be sure about money
I took a look at Vaasa's Study guide for computer science. (FTR I have got a hang of it as I'm myself doing a BC at Lappeenranta, majoring in computer science and network programming.) Whereas over here all of the masters degree courses are in English (and English only ) I could only find one English course description there. All of them had an English title though. I would assume the Finnish would do the courses in their own language and you foreign sods would be left to wallow in your own misery.

I've got no idea how it is in reality but that's the picture I got.
Is there no university in Slovakia?
Quote from majod :also theres italy, spain, france, holand but they have no courses in english

isnt that kind of the point of erasmus? get as far outside your comfort zone as possible
chances are youll later regret it if you dont
Quote from Stefani24 :Is there no university in Slovakia?

Seems that you haven't read all topic properly. He is doing studies at Slovakia at this moment. At second or third year there is possibility to go abroad for one or half year to study in other countries. It's called Erasmus programme - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Programme
Quote from Shotglass :isnt that kind of the point of erasmus? get as far outside your comfort zone as possible
chances are youll later regret it if you dont

maybe for someone, not for me

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG