The online racing simulator
The Social Network
(38 posts, started )
The Social Network
If someone had told me 11 years ago that that one kid from N'SYNC and the guy who directed Se7en would be doing a critically lauded retelling of Citizen Kane centered around a social networking site, I think my head would have exploded (after I asked what social networking was). And yet, check out these reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-social-network

98/100 after 36 reviews is basically unheard of.

I love David Fincher's work in general (Zodiac was particularly awesome), and the cast is stellar. The writer is the guy who wrote The West Wing, which is one of the best dialogue-heavy shows of all time. I'm really psyched about this.

(Please save all the "omg facebook is so stupid why would you watch a movie about facebook?!?!?!" posts, thx. It's not about Facebook.)
No but really.... Why would you want to watch a movie about freaking Facebook? Uh-hu
It's not about Facebook. Read some reviews.
I trust those ratings and reviews as much as Facebook user's reviews on Facebook.

Knock yourself out watching it in envy though.
Quote from PMD9409 :I trust those ratings and reviews as much as Facebook user's reviews on Facebook.

Why's that?
#6 - amp88
I've had The Social Network in my "Movies" bookmark folder for a long time now, so I've really been looking forward to it. As mentioned in the OP the dialogue in The West Wing was fantastic (easily some of the best TV/film dialogue I've ever had the pleasure of watching). I've also enjoyed a lot of Fincher's directorial work. I must admit I'm not familiar with the cast's work, but I certainly wouldn't hold that against it. I'm not one of those people who needs to see big names in something to enjoy it.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. I've intentionally stayed away from reading reviews or too much press about it because I wanted to go into it and let myself be surprised.
Fincher is da man but in Finland the movie's out some time in 2034 ffs.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It's not about Facebook. Read some reviews.

Uhm, yes it is.

Its about a guy who creats a Social Network (Facebook) and ends up with a bunch of guys suing him and trying to steal the idea.

No thanks. I'll go watch Buried instead.
Quote from DevilDare :Uhm, yes it is.

Its about a guy who creats a Social Network (Facebook) and ends up with a bunch of guys suing him and trying to steal the idea.

No thanks. I'll go watch Buried instead.

It's about a guy. It's a character study and a cultural commentary. Facebook is just the thing that enables it to have a plot.

Have fun watching a guy be buried for a few hours, though.

Side note: Let Me In comes out this weekend (though maybe not in Lithuania) and is sure to be a better horror movie.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It's about a guy. It's a character study and a cultural commentary. Facebook is just the thing that enables it to have a plot.

Yeah, which is crap.

Quote :Have fun watching a guy be buried for a few hours, though.

I will. Pretty sure I will. And I am also pretty sure its a million times better than a movie about FB.

Quote :Side note: Let Me In comes out this weekend (though maybe not in Lithuania) and is sure to be a better horror movie.

Well firstly, I have been living in England for the last 8 years. One would think you would atleast double check before talking out of your arse. (Hint hint - Location)

Secondly, I know it does. I will probably go see it too. And lastly, Buried is barely "horror".

Thumbs up
It's amazing.. becuase your Flag says Lithuania.. which is usually what people put their current country as...
Sorry about the England/Lithuania thing. I had known that in the past, just slipped my mind there.

I just hate the kneejerk "facebook is annoying so a movie about facebook must be bad" idiocy. Sorry.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's amazing.. becuase your Flag says Lithuania.. which is usually what people put their current country as...

Your point?

Lithuania is my nationality. My current location is England.

Didnt know this was rocket science.

Quote :I just hate the kneejerk "facebook is annoying so a movie about facebook must be bad" idiocy. Sorry.

Not at all. FB is great. But a movie about it, not really. Dont see it working, nor being enjoyable.

Anyway, thats my discussion done for this topic. I shall now leave.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's amazing.. becuase your Flag says Lithuania.. which is usually what people put their current country as...

nationality != country you currently live in...
Well, from what I understand, all that it takes (from LFS settings) is "Country. To most people that means current Country of residence (as it's your address).. not Nationality.
Wow, looks like someone got up on the wrong foot this morning. Schwitz
Yeah, I'm really having issues walking left-right all day.. starting right-left makes my life much easier!
Try jumping with both feet. Thumbs up
I did that once.. people just told me i was a kangaroo.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
I just hate the kneejerk "facebook is annoying so a movie about facebook must be bad" idiocy. Sorry.

Not bad, just not at all interesting to certain people. If a movie about came out about a certain religion I would have no interest in watching it, but someone of that religion would probably love to watch it.

Nasty to compare Facebook to religion I know.
Not all movies should be about fast cars, big bangs and an actress who was willing to suck on the producers lollipop to get the part. I personally can't wait to see this film, considering the writer I'm expecting some great dialogue and if the West Wing was anything to go by then I'm not going to be disappointed.

And so what if the plot is about a guy who invented a social networking site....I have sat through and seen much more flimsy plots than that....most of them coming from a Michael Bay flick.
Quote from amp88 :I must admit I'm not familiar with the cast's work,

Me neither, particularly, except Andrew Garfield who is ****ing excellent. See Boy A, or the first of C4's Red Riding adaptations (which were all very good to be fair, and Mark Addy is amazing in the final one).
The kid who actaully made Fb said it wasnt even close how it happened.

The Social Network
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG