The online racing simulator
A little open-wheel class warfare for AI training
I just set up a race of 4 FOX, 4 F08 and 4 BF1 on BL1 and let them run for an hour to train the AI. Seems like they're all getting better. The BF01s could not figure out how to pass without clipping the FOX's rear tires, but within 20 laps they were got it down and only crashed when trying to overtake an F08 trying to overtake a FOX. It's a lot of fun to watch too, lots of overtaking and the doppler when a BF1 blows by a FOX on the long straight is fantastic. Something to burn CPU cycles while not using the computer for anything else.

Got about 50 minutes in before the BF1s ran out of gas. At that point the FOXs were an average of 6 laps down. The others finished. I was surprised to see that the F08s (~50% left) were quite a bit more fuel efficient than the FOXs (~25%)

Can't wait for the AI to learn about pitting.
I wanna do this, how to I ensure the AI doesn't run out of gas?
Quote from joeynuggetz :I wanna do this, how to I ensure the AI doesn't run out of gas?

Right now you can't unless you just set the race short enough. Until the AI learns to pit, they'll never have more than a tank full
For the time being, it could be neat to be able to disable AI fuel consumption altogether, maybe even their tire wear. It would make interesting races, since the AI is much slower than a good driver - but they wouldn't have to pit at all
So are you saying the AI does learn like in the latest rfactor patch?
Until what point will it keep improving?
something in the range of 5-10 secs below wr (lot slower on courses with banked corners as they dont see the banking yet and assume the corner is flat)
Lol thats fun watching the AIs

Just had 11Foxes and 1 Sauber starting from back. Foxes very already pretrained for some 1:21laps on FE Gold. Sauber was new and started to learn. He dropped back big time and got them on approx lap 25 out of 30.

Now the AI6 sauber which was pretrained. I tried to start only a Sauber race and putting this car at end and he plugged the field lol. Seems like he knows how to pass Foxes but not other F1s.

Now I imagine it will be a bit hard to train all cars and all combinations if each learns on its own especially with a 12 AI limit.
#8 - Vain
The AI drivers can take knowledge from one combination to another. That is, knowledge on overtaking.
I didn't try it, but it might be useful to let the AI train against a rather wide car, like a handicapped BF1 (just make all gears as short as possible to make one or two cars slow), because elsewise the AI will be absolutely clueless on why it crashed with that GTR though it had exactly a half UF1-width distance from the other car's center.

Vain
#9 - Jakg
doing the same now, and ouch, a BF1 just ran into the back of a FOX at 185 Mph, it pulled 8 g's at impact

Ouch! the BF1 continued at 175 mph, while the FOX spun into the wall, rebouned into a 150 Mph FO8 resulting in two flying cars!

Your right! in the first corner there are more passes than in a whole season of F1!
Yeah. I guess the AIs first need to be fully up to speed. I just had one little tin top in middle of F1s and they kept hitting it and throwing over the wall lol.
Would it work if I just train 1 car of each class then make clones and rename the files to AI 2-12?
Hmm, not sure. Give it a try and let us know.
So each AI learns separately from the next and learning 1 car doesn't mean anything to learning the next car, right? And knowing how to overtake one type of car does not mean the AI knows how to overtake the next type of car. Add tracks and multiply out the combinations and you'll never be able to train everything

I hope that at least setups aren't encoded as well, because then the combinations are infinite.

Maybe we need a database of trained AIs, so everyone can concentrate on a car and a track and train 1 AI, then post it to the DB and we can download and combine the right types of AIs for any particular races. Sort of like setupfield for AI. Anyone build something like that yet?

Sure online is superior, but having good AI might improve newbies, since right now the only way to learn how to race with others is to race online which causes endless strive
Quote from sdether :...And knowing how to overtake one type of car does not mean the AI knows how to overtake the next type of car. ?

Erm, no, it learns how to overtake any car. It doesn't need to learn a different procedure to overtake each different car, if you get my meaning!
Quote from al heeley :Erm, no, it learns how to overtake any car. It doesn't need to learn a different procedure to overtake each different car, if you get my meaning!

Ok, i didn't know if it needed to feel out the dimensions for the different types, since when i did some runs, the BF01 would clip the rear wheels of some cars, as if it didn't know where the car actually ended.
Yeah trianing one AI and making clone copys after does work.
Also the AIs dont seem to get better just faster until to a point where they start running to wide and into sand traps. They should take note of that and make it slower into that corner again.
Interesting to know, but if you're training 1 car you may as well have them all running, it takes just as much time, then they get the extra nouse from trying to overtake eachother or avoid accidents, etc.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG