The online racing simulator
Insect bites, anyone with expertise on this??
(38 posts, started )
Go see a doctor. There's no doctors in here!
FWiW..
i was stung by a wasp a few years ago on the back of my calf.

either i scratched it and infected it, or as the nurse put it, the wasp had something nasty on its sting.

my lower leg swelled up, making the skin go tight and very red.

i could put icecubes on it and not feel the coldness, and they would melt in no time due to how hot my leg was.

antibiotics cured it, but even now the spot of the sting will still itch.

go to your doctor if it doesnt clear up
Looks like a light form of STi or maybe even AIDS.
#29 - 5haz
Quote from mrodgers :It amazes me how the UK population here on the forum bragged up and down about their government medical back in threads about the US health overhaul, yet so many of them feel it is better to get advice on the LFS forums rather than the wonderful medical system of the UK government...

Because we're not a bunch of tarts.
Quote from 5haz :Because we're not a bunch of tarts.

A neighbor was out playing ball with his boy. He slipped in the grass and fell hitting his head. No problem, didn't hurt and he was fine. 2 days later he collapsed and was dead (confirmed reason was from the mild bump on the head.)

Somehow upon seeing the widowed wife, saying something like, "At least he wasn't a tart and he didn't go to the hospital from such an insignificant bump" just doesn't seem to be appropriate.

An insect bite shouldn't be something to worry about, but it also shouldn't swell up significantly. If it does, there's something obviously wrong.
Probably just an infection (as many people have said) Also maybe a horse fly got you they are a bugger! If it gets any worse see the gp in the mean time put some Lavender oil on it to relieve discomfort and swelling. Also Witch Hazel is good for swelling and bruises.
Quote from mrodgers :A neighbor was out playing ball with his boy. He slipped in the grass and fell hitting his head. No problem, didn't hurt and he was fine. 2 days later he collapsed and was dead (confirmed reason was from the mild bump on the head.)

Somehow upon seeing the widowed wife, saying something like, "At least he wasn't a tart and he didn't go to the hospital from such an insignificant bump" just doesn't seem to be appropriate.

An insect bite shouldn't be something to worry about, but it also shouldn't swell up significantly. If it does, there's something obviously wrong.

Yeah. Seems like English people dont go by this. If you arent dead after couple of hours, its all good.
Quote from Biohazard :well, for a simple mosquite bite the arm one covers quite a large area. the fact that you never ever reacted kind of allergic to such things before suggests that this may be something different actually.
if problems persist - go see a doctor.

No, allergic reactions never happen the first time. Allergic reactions happens the second time when the body sees the invader and freaks out and over reacts.

Quote from J@tko :I think you still being alive/not being in hostpital means it's not too serious - as they've said if it doesn't go down then a visit to the doctor is in order.

Yes, the longer the time it takes for the reaction to occur the less sever it is. The size on the other hand (See what I did there?) should really be seen by a doctor when it get's to twice the size of your normal figer as it might cut of blood supply to the distal end of the finger. This results in death of the tissue after long periods of time, normally greater then 6 hours, and should be treated so you don't lose your finger.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Get yourself some of this. Works like magic.

If that's real, that's awesome. Sudo, heal my wound!

Quote from ColeusRattus :On a more serious note: I'd get that checked. If it's an untreated infection, it could have quite sever consequences.
Someone I know got her index finger amputated because she didn't go to a doctor soon enough after a tiny scratch that got infected.

Best advice any one will ever give you is the same that your mother gives you in this case. Clean the wound, don't do any thing fancy, for the most part Soap and Water will do fine.

Quote from jibber :Go see a doctor. There's no doctors in here!

Yeah, just think what would happen if you never could type with that finger again, or the cells started to die in your arm and you had a pit in your arm that grew and grew until it became unmanageable and infected (gange green) then the doc that did see it would have to chop off your whole arm.

Quote from mrodgers :A neighbor was out playing ball with his boy. He slipped in the grass and fell hitting his head. No problem, didn't hurt and he was fine. 2 days later he collapsed and was dead (confirmed reason was from the mild bump on the head.)

Bullshit. Subdural hematoma would be the COD (Cause of Death). No ME (Medical Examiner) in there right mind would write mild bump to the head as a COD. Hell if you want to get really technical, Cardiac Arrest was the COD, but that's secondary to something else.
Quote from Dygear :No, allergic reactions never happen the first time. Allergic reactions happens the second time when the body sees the invader and freaks out and over reacts.

One thing to watch out for is when the allergic reaction gets stronger and stronger each time. Eventually, a life-threatening reaction might occur (anaphylactic shock).
Quote from wsinda :One thing to watch out for is when the allergic reaction gets stronger and stronger each time. Eventually, a life-threatening reaction might occur (anaphylactic shock).

depends...I had few allergic reactions when i was younger, they went weaker by every year, now they are disappeared completely.
#36 - 5haz

"If I worried as much as you, I wouldn't fart for fear of shitting myself"
Quote from 5haz :"If I worried as much as you, I wouldn't fart for fear of shitting myself"

After some dodgey nights out thats what you tend to do..
Quote from 5haz :"If I worried as much as you, I wouldn't fart for fear of shitting myself"

Guv.

It all seems to have calmed down now, finger is back to its usual size, arm one has bruised like feck but swelling has also gone, panic over!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG