The online racing simulator
Help me out here, FBM setup doesn't work out
(26 posts, started )
Help me out here, FBM setup doesn't work out
So, I'm currently using a "standard" setup I downloaded, it's not like the default, the gears are more suitable for blackwood, and it's an unfinished one, because I would like to get better in setups. But, the first week I used it, it worked awesome, I went from 1:22:342 as my best lap, to 1:17:163 on blackwood, very good results for me.

But now I've startet to get a bit more serious, trying to really make this work, and just as I thought I made something great, the car suddenly spins in every corner...
I can take turn 1 without problems since it's pretty low speed....but as it goes pretty fast, it spins.

If you could please post on what I did wrong/what I can do :P like solutions to oversteering, understeering and such, because that's really a problem I got
You should upload the set and a replay of you driving with the set so people can see where you can improve.
Quote from zeugnimod :You should upload the set and a replay of you driving with the set so people can see where you can improve.

Alright, I'll post one later today
You might have lowered the downforce to much, If your spinning out at race pace then it's something you are doing wrong.. To much throttle to quickly.. or you are not correctly in the "Zone" Also remember that if you are chasing another car 9/10 You are driving more aggressively.

Another note, If the car is spinning out after the apex, From what i remember if you soften the suspension and put a little more PSI in the tires it would balance out, You also need to blip the throttle coming out as that corner is banked slightly.. But yes a replay would help nicely
Quote from TehPaws3D :You might have lowered the downforce to much, If your spinning out at race pace then it's something you are doing wrong.. To much throttle to quickly.. or you are not correctly in the "Zone" Also remember that if you are chasing another car 9/10 You are driving more aggressively.

Another note, If the car is spinning out after the apex, From what i remember if you soften the suspension and put a little more PSI in the tires it would balance out, You also need to blip the throttle coming out as that corner is banked slightly.. But yes a replay would help nicely

I'll try what you said, if it does not help I'll post a replay soon enough
Here's my current setup
Thought I'd post my setup which I'm struggling with....
While I wait for you guys to check it out, I'll make a replay of my driving
Attached files
FBM_^1R^4B^0Setup.set - 132 B - 959 views
Quote from NewAssault :Thought I'd post my setup which I'm struggling with....
While I wait for you guys to check it out, I'll make a replay of my driving

The replay is gonna have to wait 'till tomorrow...I got way too much work and it'll get too late...I need to get up early tomorrow..
Right, I'll test your set and see what i come up with tomorrow, To tired to drive properly

Basically.. Driving into walls = funny as hell ... = bad
I have been sitting offline all of this year testing sets anyhow ( deliberatly neglecting Blackwood in the process )...

... ill give it a shot tonight in-between my PHP coding and a BF1 endurance test....
Hey mate, I tested your set just now, Your ride height is too low, You bottom out every corner and your set has some serious understeer, Nice ride though, But I would raise the ride height to about 0.83 and 0.83 in the front, Works pretty well for my sets, The only other thing you are going to have to battle is that biting understeer, Which I'm sure you can get pretty well.
^-- I was going to say teh same thing:

and ..... beyond that if all else fails.... play with your sway bars....
Quote from TehPaws3D :Hey mate, I tested your set just now, Your ride height is too low, You bottom out every corner and your set has some serious understeer, Nice ride though, But I would raise the ride height to about 0.83 and 0.83 in the front, Works pretty well for my sets, The only other thing you are going to have to battle is that biting understeer, Which I'm sure you can get pretty well.

thank you
Alright, The only problem I got now, is the heavy understeering...I have to brake waaay too much in certain corners, and that causes my lap times to bounce alot...even the slowest car catches up to me in some turns.

Can you guys post some solutions against understeering?

I got a bit of a theory here, I'm using R2 tyres in the front, and R1 in the back, I don't have the time to test it atm...But wouldn't it give me more grip and less understeer if I changed the front tyres to R3?
Other way around - R1 is the softest and R3 is the hardest, so putting R1s on the front would help.
Quote from J@tko :Other way around - R1 is the softest and R3 is the hardest, so putting R1s on the front would help.

Ahhh!....Sorry for all my noob questions regarding setting up the fbm^^

thank you for replying
  • Decrease front rebound damping
  • Higher front wing downforce (If your tires seem okay already)
  • Lower rear downforce if the car is seriously understeering (I'm talking, barely steering)
  • If it's very bad use FWD tactics to keep the front in line (Handbrake, Clutch)
  • Use all possible track (Kurb to kurb)
  • Decrease front tire pressure
Try all those, Also note that proper camber will help you out too, You will have to test this out.. Or I will give you my set that I used.

Also, R3's are to much for blackwood unless the only options are R2 R3 R4, If in that case, For five laps, Use R1 with a soft suspension and a little more air pressure to fight the graining and you should be setting some fast ass laps.
Quote from TehPaws3D :
  • Decrease front rebound damping
  • Higher front wing downforce (If your tires seem okay already)
  • Lower rear downforce if the car is seriously understeering (I'm talking, barely steering)
  • If it's very bad use FWD tactics to keep the front in line (Handbrake, Clutch)
  • Use all possible track (Kurb to kurb)
  • Decrease front tire pressure
Try all those, Also note that proper camber will help you out too, You will have to test this out.. Or I will give you my set that I used.

Also, R3's are to much for blackwood unless the only options are R2 R3 R4, If in that case, For five laps, Use R1 with a soft suspension and a little more air pressure to fight the graining and you should be setting some fast ass laps.

This is great! thank you, Damn I'm learning new stuff today :O

I'll test this ASAP
Let us know of any more problems you have.
Quote from TehPaws3D :Let us know of any more problems you have.

I will! Today is my day off, just got very little paper work, then I can start testing the setup
I just finished testing the stuff you wrote here, and I must say...thank you^^
The rest of my problems is just to hit all the turns just right, but that'll come with experience I guess
653 Laps (At the time of counting) Is not enough to learn a track.. But you do seem a little slower than most.. mainly tinker with the gear ratios and raise/lower stuff as necessary. Glad I could help
Quote from TehPaws3D :653 Laps (At the time of counting) Is not enough to learn a track.. But you do seem a little slower than most.. mainly tinker with the gear ratios and raise/lower stuff as necessary. Glad I could help

Considering that my wheel isn't the best, and that the first 200-300 rounds was just messing around with some random setups :P mainly the default one..^^
Quote from TehPaws3D :653 Laps (At the time of counting) Is not enough to learn a track..

What in the hell!? 10laps should be enough.
I guess it depends on your definition of "learning".

10 laps is enough to know the layout of the track but certainly not enough to set fast lap times. At least if you're not an alien.
Quote from zeugnimod :I guess it depends on your definition of "learning".

10 laps is enough to know the layout of the track but certainly not enough to set fast lap times. At least if you're not an alien.

I was referring to aliens, but seriously, 600laps?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG