The online racing simulator
Completed Ultra detailed real car models
Hi there!
I asked many times here if there was a chance some modding would be allowed to help the development of lfs,for example contests to remake the current cars with high quality models of the existing real cars(minus the badges ofcourse ).Also upcoming cars models could be modeled again in contests with specified cars for modding.

I know the devs are skeptical about this but i am certain it could help them as it would save them countless of modeling hours...

In any case I just recently found an altenative way and that is a 3d model marketplace..

Please if Scawen ,Victor and Eric ,if you read this check the following site

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/Vehicle/Car

-There are dozens of incredibly amazing models complete with interiors.You can buy them for very logical prices(for 100-150 euros each but have in mind their quality gives a run for their money even to the "premium Gt5" models....)

-Also all real cars featured in lfs are there in mind boggling details
some examples :
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-m ... 3d-911-turbo-model/488135

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-m ... dard-materials-car/457776

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/228091

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/551792

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/554840

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/544691

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/530295

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/532862

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-rx7/485495

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/maya-toyota-supra/428586

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-m ... lica-1991-3d-model/249217
Ehhh, justasimfan its a nice idea you are having,
the only thing is that i cant see it happening.

basically the last years we have seen some example from games that can be modified. it turns out that it will even slow down the development rate. Think for example about Rfactor, at some point The had too improve the core phisics off the game, but there was no way of doing that with out making the current mods on-usable. this means that you can not update , what ever, when erver you want.

We all know that some guys dont like the way lfs is publishing new cars / tracks. but if you ask me , its good.

p.s.: i doubt that it will be possible to import it.
p.s.: a car model is not the only thing you need, you need way more before a car is driving
Quote from justasimfan :I know the devs are skeptical about this but i am certain it could help them as it would save them countless of modeling hours...

So Eric will no longer be needed? This is so sad. :sadbanana
Quote :There are dozens of incredibly amazing models complete with interiors.You can buy them for very logical prices(for 100-150 euros each but have in mind their quality gives a run for their money even to the "premium Gt5" models....)

But seriously, from a business point of view, it seems that it is irrational.
Look we are waiting for ...the last 5 years for new content and probably almost 2.5 years for....one more car...the scirocco....Just the work needed on the existing cars to get them updated almost stops any chance to see more cars...Maybe we will see 2-3 more cars but that in the best case scenario.

I made many times the proposal of giving a chance to some very talented users here to help the devs by making some high quality car models for the existing cars and maybe a few cars the devs tell them to model.With that way and having a contest so only the best models get picked there would be no problem as far as quality and as far as physics they would not be touched.
The devs keep refusing this proposal.

The 3d marketplace has some incredible astonishing car models complete with some stunning interiors.Honestly i did not even know such quality car models for sale existed until today.Some of those models give the so called "premium " cars of Gt5 (they supposedly need 1 month to model each) a run for their money...

For less than $2000 all the current cars can be updated with some incredible models(with the badges removed ofcourse ) .And have an additional dozen of new cars that would never been possible to have.

Physics for the current cars will stay the same and for the new cars only the devs will work on them.

Come on now Scawen,Victor and Eric this is a great chance to bring lfs to the next level !

This will improve lfs by light years and will live you time to work on physics/tracks and maybe weather effects...
We have been waiting 5 years?

You've been here a month.
Those model are no way EVER going to LFS (or any other game). Simple because it IMPOSSIBLE to handle those high poly models.

500k for LX6?
1million 500k for supra?

Our computers cant support 10 cars on screen with those models, let alone a full grid of 32 cars. Do you want us to play with 0.2fps? Those cars can't be used for games, only for rendering.

Sorry.

PS: They can be used in LFS in 2020 though.
justasimfan: you drive only 500 km with demo cars? if you want more content buy S2

And I dont think LFS engine can handle these high-detailed models

Edit: Like kimd41 said
You've been here a month, haven't asked many times, and clearly don't get the point of LFS or the decisions not to allow user content or accept 'help' from the community.

Besides, am I the only one that thinks the current level of detail is actually fine, and that the level of detail proposed above (and in GT5 etc) is a bit excessive? I'm all for realism at every level, but I don't think there is any benefit from having every last detail on the car.
What we need is new tracks then cars IMHO, it's been since s2 launch (Jun 25th, 2005) since we have had proper new tracks (discounting the ones with just a new corner).
People i played lfs from time to time for years on my brother sim rig.I made the demo account so i can post here.The core of lfs is incredible.We would not be here if it wasn't.But the game has started to show its age and many people that see it they dismiss it before even giving it a chance and discover how amazing game it is.With the above high quality cars lfs can have a new breath of life for literary nothing.....

And for people that are afraid about perfomance have in mind that GT5 "Premium cars" are made by around 300-350.000 polygons each and the game can run with a grid of 16 cars at 60 frames .

Most 3d models from above have around 500.000-1.000.000 polygons but the huge difference from the ps3 is that on the pc you can adjust the graphics.On a decent computer you can easily play with a 16 or 32 car grid with 60-100 frames.On older computers reducing the quality of the cars will keep the game smooth as silk..

(Have in mind that the ps3 has 7 working cores of 3.2ghz each with only 256 kb cache memory each core,a 7800 gtx card with 256mb graphics memory and 256 of main system memory- With around $1000 you can find on ebay i7 gaming computers with 6gb of memory and a decent 285gtx card.)

A i7 by the way has 4 main cores of 2.66-3.33 with 3mb of cache each core and every i7 has 8-12 additional sub cores.Add to that 6 gb of memory and that a 285 gtx card is 6 times faster than a 7800gtx that means even with full quality you can play with 1920x1200 with max aa and af with a 32 car grid at over 60-100 frames easily
Quote from tristancliffe :You've been here a month, haven't asked many times, and clearly don't get the point of LFS or the decisions not to allow user content or accept 'help' from the community.

Besides, am I the only one that thinks the current level of detail is actually fine, and that the level of detail proposed above (and in GT5 etc) is a bit excessive? I'm all for realism at every level, but I don't think there is any benefit from having every last detail on the car.

No, you're not... I am playing right now Spectrum games
Quote from rc10racer :What we need is new tracks then cars IMHO, it's been since s2 launch (Jun 25th, 2005) since we have had proper new tracks (discounting the ones with just a new corner).

I've thought the same thing recently. After running the demo for quite some time, I went ahead and purchased LFS S2. I have not run it very much since those first few days. It is a great sim, but something is missing....tracks. It's quite boring to run on those flat, life-less tracks all the time. I want something akin to SPA or the Nordschleife....not just Blackwwod. I also absolutely hate the interface. It's too busy.
Forget about new cars guys! Cars are worthless if you have nowhere to drive them. There is a big need for new tracks and or weather change.
2 new cars are more then enough some minor tweaks to existing ones. We really don't need to "play" another NFS car game, where you have shiny new cars.. LFS is about simulation, not being pretty ;-)

Bring us rain, night and some damage model and you will soon forget about new cars.
That's what is really needed for lfs.
Not some shiny stupid-super-duper cars...
Quote from justasimfan :People i played lfs from time to time for years on my brother sim rig.I made the demo account so i can post here.The core of lfs is incredible.We would not be here if it wasn't.But the game has started to show its age and many people that see it they dismiss it before even giving it a chance and discover how amazing game it is.With the above high quality cars lfs can have a new breath of life for literary nothing.....

And for people that are afraid about perfomance have in mind that GT5 "Premium cars" are made by around 300-350.000 polygons each and the game can run with a grid of 16 cars at 60 frames .

Most 3d models from above have around 500.000-1.000.000 polygons but the huge difference from the ps3 is that on the pc you can adjust the graphics.On a decent computer you can easily play with a 16 or 32 car grid with 60-100 frames.On older computers reducing the quality of the cars will keep the game smooth as silk..

(Have in mind that the ps3 has 7 working cores of 3.2ghz each with only 256 kb cache memory each core,a 7800 gtx card with 256mb graphics memory and 256 of main system memory- With around $1000 you can find on ebay i7 gaming computers with 6gb of memory and a decent 285gtx card.)

A i7 by the way has 4 main cores of 2.66-3.33 with 3mb of cache each core and every i7 has 8-12 additional sub cores.Add to that 6 gb of memory and that a 285 gtx card is 6 times faster than a 7800gtx that means even with full quality you can play with 1920x1200 with max aa and af with a 32 car grid at over 60-100 frames easily

Have you ever tested them on any game engine? Not everyone has a i7 and GTX285, and I still very doubt that even 30% of players can run such thing at 32 grid over 60fps.

Do not understimate the PS3's power, it uses the GPU and 7 SPU from the Cell to render, and since everyone has the same hardware, they optimize it A LOT.

You can get the same quality of the car with 50k polys/tris.
For me one of the benefits of LFS is that I CAN run gfx maxed out as it is.
I don't want new high quality cars in LFS if I have to sacrifice detail so much that I can't see the cars anyway. Doesn't make any sense.
...you have to notice that "the Devs" would have to pay much much more for those models because they'll earn money selling a game that has those models in it.

Personally I'd like to keep my slow dual core 2333MHz Rig with the crummy 4850, two lousy gigs of RAM and the single silent fan a bit longer, so no million poly cars for me, thanks.

I always wonder why so many people (demo or not) cry for new content but don't do anything themselves. There has been a development pause of two years for us normal customers, why have only a few people started modding lfs, and none of them has done it properly?
Why not simply make a proper model and give it to the mighty ones, hoping that they'll simply put it in the game?

greetz

der butz

PS: I know that modding is an unwanted topic here and I do not want to encourage people to reverse engineer lfs, the stuff I wrote above is just a statement towards some whinging lazy people.
What the hell is that guy talking about? He doesn't have any idea about anything.
Rallypack!

:spam:

IF I GET FLAMED I DON'T CARE!
Quote from tristancliffe :You've been here a month, haven't asked many times, and clearly don't get the point of LFS or the decisions not to allow user content or accept 'help' from the community.

Then again, why not? Eric's working pace should warrant incredibly high detailed models, right? Besides, it's established that graphics are a part of a sim as well, just not the priority. It's not as if Scawen had to work on those, though. There's nothing stopping Eric from working on all the models he wants.
I think we all know how devoted you are but please...
those are not even close high detailed,check evermotions site
Quote from justasimfan :

500.000 - 1.000.000 polygons..... now think again. those car models are for renderings and so on... now imagine 1.000.000 polygons x 32 car + track (I bet you also want high res tracks) + complex physic calculation = a lot of love from your pc.
Irrespective of new physics, keep the community happy with new content! Just give us new tracks and we'll be happy for the time being!

Petition for Eric to pull his finger out!
And its a bit odd that someone that used his brother's account for years cuz he couldn't shell out 40 bucks has no problem telling others a 1000 dollar PC will do the trick......

Nothing personal, but ya got no clout.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG